With advancing age comes aches and pains. Swollen joints, aching back and knee pains are the worst afflictions of this century, not just for the aged but for all ages, especially young people working away at computers from dawn to dusk with a crooked spinal posture and a stiff neck.
But the moment our back and spinal cord starts to ache we gobble down half a dozen painkillers without a second thought. But that’s terribly harmful to your health. Painkillers erode your stomach lining and often cause stomach ulcers. So what do you do now? How do you cure the inflammation and pain? And, how to reduce inflammation in the body?
Well, we have got a handful of natural treatments for inflammation that is so incredibly effective that you will be left amazed and at supreme ease after implementing one of the remedies elucidated below. Read on the below list of foods that fight inflammation(1).
Natural Remedies to Reduce Inflammation and Pain
1. Ice Pack:
This is the simplest and one of the most beneficial home remedies for pain and inflammation. The cold ice constricts the blood vessels leading to the painful area. This reduces the supply of blood to the affected part and as such the swelling decreases.
- Take a few ice cubes and wrap them in a thin cloth or towel.
- Press this ice pack to the painful area with gentle pressure.
- Do this for twenty minutes at a stretch in every alternate hour until the pain disappears which will soon enough.
- Do this daily for a week and the pain will be completely gone.
Also Read: Natural Treatments to Reduce Swelling
2. Apple Cider Vinegar:
The alkalizing impact of apple cider vinegar breaks down the building up of harmful toxins in the swollen and painful area of the body. This vinegar helps to enhance mobility and alleviates the pain to a great extent.
- Take two cups of water in a bowl and two teaspoonfuls of apple cider vinegar(2) into it.
- Mix this well. Take small sips of this mixture throughout the entire day.
- Do this daily and the pain and inflammation will heal in a week or so.
3. Olive Oil and Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar is highly effective in treating aching and inflamed joints, and when combined with some olive oil, then even more so.
- Take a tablespoon each of olive oil and apple cider vinegar in a bowl.
- Stir this well and then gently massage the affected area in circles with this mixture.
- Do this twice daily for a couple of weeks and the pain will go away.
4. Olive Oil with Cayenne Pepper:
The biochemical named capsaicin present in cayenne pepper is an immensely effectual natural analgesic. It produces a comfortable warm sensation throughout the body and especially in the painful area and accelerates its healing.
- Take two heaped tablespoons of powdered cayenne pepper in a bowl.
- Set to warm half a cup of olive oil and then add this lukewarm oil to the red powder.
- Stir well to form a smooth paste.
- Smear this paste on the affected area and do this thrice a day for the best results.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar with Cayenne Pepper:
- Take half a teaspoon of powdered cayenne pepper in a bowl.
- Take a cup of apple cider vinegar and mix it with the powder to form a smooth and thin paste.
- Soak a clean cloth in the paste and press the soaked cloth to the affected area with gentle pressure for half an hour.
- Do this daily till the inflammation reduces.
6. Honey, Lemon, and Ginger:
The properties of anti-inflammation of ginger paired with the natural warmth of honey are highly effective in alleviating pain and inflammation.
- Crush a ginger into tiny pieces and add them to a bowl of water.
- Boil this for ten to fifteen minutes.
- Strain out this ginger-water mixture to a cup and add a tablespoon each of honey and lemon juice.
- Drink this thrice a day for a week or so and the pain will alleviate.
Also Know: Lemon Ginger Tea Benefits
7. Ginger Oil:
How to lower inflammation in the body with Ginger oil? Well, it’s very beneficial and you can either buy ginger oil from a drug store or extract the same from fresh roots of ginger.
- Massage the swollen and painful area with this oil gently and in circles.
- Do this twice daily until the pain goes away with all its symptoms.
8. Ginger and Turmeric:
The biochemical curcumin present in turmeric is richly loaded with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties which makes it greatly efficient in doing away with pains and inflammation.
- Take a cup of water and add a teaspoon of turmeric powder to it.
- Stir well and then add a teaspoon of crushed pieces of ginger to it.
- Boil this mixture for ten to fifteen minutes.
- Strain out the liquid and a teaspoon of honey to the filtered liquid.
- Drink this brew twice daily and the pain will subside.
9. Milk and Turmeric:
Are you thinking how to reduce whole body inflammation? Then, this is the best remedy! Milk is rich in calcium and when mixed with turmeric, makes it the most powerful home remedy for pain and inflammation.
- Take one glass of milk and add to it a tablespoon of turmeric powder.
- Stir well till the milk turns yellowish and the powder is completely dissolved.
- Boil this mixture and add a teaspoon of honey to sweeten it.
- Drink this once a day and the pain will go away.
10. Oil of Sesame and Lemon:
The citric acid present in lemon helps to break down the crystals of uric acid thereby alleviating pain and inflammation in joints.
- Take two lemons and chop them into small pieces.
- Wrap the pieces in a clean cloth and dip it in lukewarm sesame oil.
- Apply this soaked cloth on the affected part with gentle pressure for about ten to twenty minutes.
- Do this daily until the pain disappears.
11. Lemon Juice:
Wondering how to reduce inflammation in the body with Lemon? There are certain foods that cause inflammation in the body and may vary for all. Regular intake of lemon juice will help curb it naturally.
- Slice a ripe and fresh lemon in two and squeeze out all the juice.
- Add this juice to one glass of warm water and drink this lemon-water every morning on an empty stomach right after you wake up.
- It is immensely effective in treating inflammation and pain.
12. Garlic and Mustard Oil:
Mustard oil decreases inflammation and pain by improving the circulation of blood flow around the affected area. It is one of the most effective amongst the natural cures for inflammation.
- Take two tablespoons of mustard oil and set it on boil.
- Put a couple of cloves of garlic in the oil and let it turn golden brown.
- Let the boiling mustard-garlic oil simmer down.
- Strain this oil out to a plate and then massage the painful area gently in circles with the lukewarm oil.
- Wrap the affected area in a crepe bandage or cloth to retain the warmth of the massage.
- Do this daily for a week until the pain alleviates.
13. Epsom Salt:
Epsom salt contains magnesium sulfate that provides instant relief from aching joints and inflammation. It is an effective muscle relaxant and drains out the accumulation of tissue fluid around joints thereby doing away with inflammation.
- Prepare a warm bath and add half a cup of Epsom salt to the water.
- Stir well and then soak the painful and inflamed area in the Epsom bath for about twenty minutes.
- Do this thrice a week until the pain dissipates.
14. Fenugreek Seeds:
Fenugreek is rich in anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants that make it highly effectual in combating pain and inflammation. It is one of the best anti-inflammatory herbs.
- Soak a teaspoonful of fenugreek seeds in a glass of water.
- Leave it to soak overnight.
- Filter out the water in the next morning and chew on the softened fenugreek seeds.
- Do this daily for once a day for better results.
15. A Mixture of Essential Oils:
Essential oils of eucalyptus, peppermint and olives are highly effective in treating pain and inflammation. The oils are analgesic in nature and produce a cooling sensation that helps to cure the inflamed joints.
- Combine five to seven drops each of eucalyptus, peppermint and olive oil in a dark glass bottle and shake well.
- Keep this bottle away in a cool dark place, away from direct sunlight.
- Rub your aching area and inflamed joints with this oil mixture with gentle massaging and repeat this twice daily for a week and the pain will disappear.
Recommended Read: Essential Oils for Inflammation
16. Coconut Oil:
Coconut oil(3) heals pain and inflammation through its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Take half a cup of coconut oil and heat it.
- Massage the painful areas with the warm coconut oil with gentle pressure.
- Do this twice a day for a week to get rid of the pain and cramps.
17. Honey and Cinnamon:
Cinnamon is rich in anti-inflammatory properties that make it highly effectual in fighting pain and inflammation.
- Grind a few sticks of cinnamon into powder and add two tablespoons of honey to it.
- Stir this to make a fine paste.
- Smear this paste on the painful area and rub gently for about half an hour.
- Rinse it off with water.
- Do this daily till the pain heals.
Read More: Health Benefits of Honey
It is readily available in the kitchen and is embarked with super anti-inflammatory properties. It even helps to elevate a toothache and other inflammations. You can prepare this remedy at home as well as can purchase clove oil from the market.
- Crush 1-2 cloves and put it in a spoon.
- Add olive oil into it and consume it twice a day.
- Repeat this till the pain heals
- You can also mix clove oil and olive oil and massage on the affected area.
Thus, the above-mentioned remedies will help to have a clear idea about foods that reduce inflammation in our body. They also help to reduce inflammation naturally, without the hassles of any chemical damage.