Stomach aches are a tricky problem to cure owing to the fact that the cramp can be triggered off by a variety of reasons ranging from the onset of menstrual bleeding to indigestion, gastritis and even irregular bowel movements.
An aching abdomen is stemmed in several different types of reasons. However, do resist the temptation of popping in a couple of poisonous pain-killers whenever you feel an abdominal cramp.
So, how to get rid of stomach aches without them? You can relieve yourself through the several natural cures of stomach aches and cramps and the most effective of them are described here.
What can be the causes of a stomachache?
A few general causes of stomachaches are enlisted below-
- Acid reflux
- Infrequent bowels
- Gastric ulcer
- Stomach upset
- Menstrual pain
- Food poisoning and more.
Natural Remedies of Stomach Cramps and Aches-
Enlisted below are some of the very effective stomach ache remedies.
1. Chamomile Tea:
Being a gastrointestinal relaxant, chamomile tea is highly effective amongst other home remedies for cramps. It is anti-inflammatory in nature and soothes the intestinal lining thereby relieving you of painful stomach aches. Have a cup of warm chamomile(1) tea twice or thrice a day and the stomach pain will slowly dissipate.
- Take three teaspoons of dried and crushed chamomile herbs in a cup.
- Pour boiling water into it.
- Let this get evenly infused. Strain out the liquid and add a tablespoon of honey or a teaspoon of lemon juice for taste.
- Drink this with slow sips to relieve yourself of the pain.
- It is a remarkable remedy for your tummy ache and works by dispelling flatulence and relaxing the stomach and intestinal muscles.
2. Baking Soda:
Can baking soda be an answer to ‘How to stop stomach pain’? Yes, baking soda or sodium bicarbonate helps to relieve flatulence, bloating and acidity of the alimentary canal. This is one of the most effective natural remedies if your stomach is aching from indigestion.
- Add a teaspoon of baking soda to a glass of lukewarm water.
- Stir well until the baking soda(2)
- gets completely dissolved.
- Drink this up quickly to get rid of the stomach cramp.
How to stop stomach cramps with the help of Ayurveda? It can be achieved with Triphala powder. It consists of amlaki, hartuki and bibhitak. It is a highly effectual Ayurvedacure that fights indigestion by stimulating the secretion of digestive juices in the stomach.
It enhances the contraction of muscles around the intestines and acts as a natural laxative. If you are suffering from a terrible stomach ache due to irregular bowel movement then this is the best remedy for you.
- Add 2 teaspoons of Triphala powder to a glass of lukewarm water.
- Stir well till the powder dissolves.
- Drink the solution daily before going to bed at night for a few days.
- Do not eat or drink anything after taking the Triphala solution, not even water.
- You may drink water after about half an hour from taking the liquid.
- Your bowel movement will get regularized and the abdominal cramp will vanish.
4. Flax Seeds:
Flax seeds cure stomach aches by aiding digestion and regularizing bowel movements. It is very effectual amongst other home remedies for stomach pain and gas. Follow this remedy and the stomach pain will get cured in just a day or two.
- Take half a tablespoon of ground flax seeds every morning on an empty stomach.
- Increment your intake to two tablespoons gradually.
5. Essential Oils for Stomach Ache:
Wondering how to cure stomach aches with essential oils? Well, a soothing abdominal massage works wonders.
- Peppermint oil: Peppermint oil relaxes intestinal muscles and prevents them from cramping. It eliminates flatulence and relieves you from stomach aches.
- Ginger oil: This oil soothes the stomach muscles and relieves you from bloating and cramps.
- Chamomile oil: This oil cures bowel inflammation, reduces flatulence and gets rid of intestinal parasites(3).
- Take a few drops of essential oil and add it to a tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Massage your stomach with the mixture of oils in gentle circular motion with slight pressure.
- DO NOT ingest the essential oils.
6. Exercise for Cramps:
Want to know as how to cure an upset stomach with exercise? Read on.
Even if you find it difficult to even move, a brisk walk or a bout of power yoga can help to relieve you of stomach aches arising from menstruation.
Aerobics aid in enhancing blood circulation and stimulates the release of endorphins that counteracts prostaglandins and cures menstrual pain.
Do some exercise regularly to improve your health and get rid of abdominal cramps.
7. Aniseed Tea:
How to get rid of stomach pain with tea? It can be surely attained as aniseed tea is highly effective in curing stomach aches and cramps.
- Brew a nice warm cup of aniseed tea by adding less than half a teaspoon of aniseed powder to a cup of boiling water.
- Strain out the drink after five minutes and drink it with slow sips to remedy the stomach pain.
8. Ginger Tea:
Ginger contains shogaol and gingerol. These biochemical compounds help to relieve the muscle cramps and colic. Ginger is effective against nausea as well. Sip on a cup of warm ginger tea to cure yourself of the stomach ache.
- Crush a ginger into tiny pieces and add them to a bowl of water.
- Boil this for ten to fifteen minutes.
- Strain out this ginger-water mixture to a cup.
- Add a tablespoon each of honey and lemon juice.
- Drink this ginger tea to drive away the abdominal cramps and nauseous feelings that often accompany such cramps.
Fenugreek is a powerful stomach cramps treatment for cramps arising from indigestion or gastric ulcer. It layers the intestinal lining with mucus and accelerates the healing process. It can be taken every day amongst other natural remedies for upset stomach.
- Take a bowl and add two cups of water to it.
- Add a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds to the water.
- Boil this mixture.
- Strain out the liquid and add a teaspoon of honey to it.
- Drink this twice a day to cure the cramps.
10. Licorice and Brown Rice:
This concoction is a natural demulcent that heals intestinal inflammation and layers of the stomach membrane with a soothing film.
It eases the movement of bowels and relieves you of stomach aches and pain of bloating, hence making it a perfect answer for how to get rid of stomach cramps.
- Take half a teaspoon of licorice powder and mix it with a cup of water.
- Keep this aside for the night.
- In the next morning add a cup of steamed brown rice to the licorice water.
- Eat this and the stomach ache will diminish in a day or two.
11. Apple Cider Vinegar:
How to get relief from stomach ache with apple cider vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar eases indigestion and alleviates abdominal cramps and flatulence. It soothes heartburn and stomach upset as well.
- Take two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and dissolve it in two cups of warm water.
- Add a pinch of baking soda to the water and stir well for even dissolution.
- You may also add a teaspoon of honey to the mixture.
- Drink this immediately and the stomach ache will heal quickly.
12. Ripe Bananas and Milk:
This is one of the best home remedies for upset stomach. The antibacterial properties of a ripe banana make it highly effective in healing abdominal cramps caused by infrequent bowels and acid reflux.
Bananas neutralize the unbalanced acidity in the stomach and heal the intestinal inflammation. Milk soothes the stomach by buffering the acidity and coating the intestinal lining.
- Peel 2-3 ripe and fresh bananas and chop them into small pieces.
- Dry these pieces in the sun.
- Pound the dried bananas into a fine powder.
- Take a tablespoon of honey and add it to two tablespoons of the powdered banana.
- Take this mixture thrice a day cure the cramps in the stomach.
If you are suffering from stomach upset that is making your stomach ache terribly then turmeric is a highly effective remedy for you.
- Take half a teaspoon of turmeric powder and add it to a glass of lukewarm water.
- Stir well until the powder dissolves completely.
- Drink this up quickly before the powder sediments to the bottom of the glass.
- Drink this twice a day to curethe conditionof upset stomach.
Yogurt is richly packed with probiotics that assist digestion by the alteration of microbiota in our bowels. This makes yogurt highly beneficial in treating stomach cramps through the regularization of bowel movement and curing of indigestion. It is one of the ancient home remedies for stomach pain.
- Eat a bowl of plain yogurt sweetened with a tablespoon of honey.
- Add a teaspoon of turmeric powder to the yogurt and eat this twice a day for the pain to heal.
1. Can stomach cramps be a sign of pregnancy?
Women do experience abdominal cramps referred to as implantation cramps after a week of ovulation. However, cramping is not the only sign of pregnancy. It is accompanied by several other symptoms like pausing of menstrual bleeding, morning sickness and etc.
2. Is stomach ache a flu symptom?
Stomach ache is a symptom of stomach flu or gastroenteritis which is accompanied with other symptoms like nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting.
3. Is my stomach pain serious?
If your stomach pain increases or persists beyond a day then seek immediate medical attention.