Does your face or leg seem to balloon up? Do you have no idea about what has gone wrong with your perfect body? Well, at times the smooth functioning of your body system gets disrupted and what you see is swelling and inflammation in some part or your whole body. Swelling is pretty much uninvited and may even restrict your movement.
Want to get rid of the body swelling? Here you get all the necessary remedies to reduce swelling.
What is Swelling?
Swelling or Edema is a condition wherein your body or a part of it increases in size, shape or area. Body swelling occurs when an excess amount of fluid gets trapped in the tissues. Swelling can cause pain or may be painless. Swollen feet and ankles is a common condition wherein inflammation occur without any pain.
Types of Swelling or Edema
- Peripheral Edema: It results in swollen legs, ankles, feet, and arms
- Lymphedema: Swelling in legs and arms, attributed to damage in the lymph nodes
- Pedal Edema: Fluid accumulates in the lower legs and feet causing swollen feet and swollen ankles
- Pulmonary Edema: The air sacs of the lungs get filled with fluid causing difficulty in breathing
- Macular Edema: It results when fluid builds up in the macula (center of the retina) of the eye
- Cerebral Edema: Cerebral edema occurs when fluid collects in the brain due to damaged or blocked blood vessels, an allergic reaction or tumor
- Insect Bites
- Hormonal changes
- Fluid retention
- Cysts and tumors
- Allergic reaction
- Low albumin
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Kidney disease
- Liver Disease
Significant enlargement of the skin or muscles is the typical symptom of swelling. Other symptoms are:
- Pain in the specific area
How to Reduce Swelling Naturally?
Numerous underlying causes can result in swelling. Based on the reasons what caused it, the severity of swelling and its effect varies. If your swelling is external, then you can treat it quickly at home. If you are suffering from Facial swelling, swollen left foot or swelling in any other body part, then try some simple natural remedies to reduce swelling quickly and get back to your healthy and unrestricted routine.
Following are the natural ways to reduce swelling:
CURE 1. Foods
Your diet dramatically affects the functioning of your body. A more balanced diet results in fewer troubles and diseases. Hence, it is essential to monitor what you are eating. One of the simplest measures that you can adopt for reducing inflammation and swelling is by following a balanced diet. Including foods that can help in reducing swelling in various body parts like swollen ear, swollen feet, etc.
Devil’s Claw is an answer to all your troubles related to how to get rid of the swelling. The fruit grown in the Kalahari Desert and shaped like a claw finds its use from ancient times in treating inflammation in the body. It is an effective remedy for arthritis pain, thus can cure knee swelling, swelling in hands and swelling in other joints.
How to eat?
- Prepare a tea by boiling fresh roots of the plant in water
- Consume this tea regularly
- If you do not find the plant, then you can purchase the capsules made using the plant
Benefits of Devil’s Claw
The plant is rich in a variety of nutrients that make it a potent food. Studies show that Devil’s Claw has NSAID-like properties which make it an effective remedy for pains, aches, and swelling.
Foods to Eat
You can also make some dietary changes to evade persistent swelling. Persons with a deficiency in magnesium and potassium are known to suffer from swelling and inflammation. Get rid of swollen hands and feet by making positive dietary changes. Include the following foods in your diet.
- Magnesium rich foods such as cashews, almonds, broccoli, spinach, tofu, avocados, dark chocolate and the like. These provide you with magnesium thus preventing water retention which is one of the significant causes of swelling.
- Potassium Rich Foods like white beans, salmon, bananas, sweet potatoes, pistachios, chicken, etc. Deficiency of potassium causes your body to retain water. Eating such potassium-rich foods provides you with an adequate quantity of potassium which aids in preventing swelling and inflammation.
Foods to avoid
Following are the foods that contribute to swelling in the body:
- Foods with high sucrose and high fructose content
- Foods with artificial trans-fats like margarine
- Seed oil and Vegetable Oil
- Refined carbohydrates which are low in fiber content
- Processed meat
- A high amount of Alcohol
CURE 2. Herbal Treatment
Viral infections majorly cause swollen gland in the neck and swollen lymph nodes. If you are suffering from swollen lymph nodes, then try astragalus root remedy which is one of the best natural ways to reduce the swelling in lymph nodes.
How to use?
- You can make a great tea using Astragalus root
- To make the tea, buy dried astragalus root and add it to hot water
- Alternatively, you can also buy the capsules or tincture of Astragalus root
Benefits of Astragalus Root
Astragalus root has strong antimicrobial and antiviral properties that make it an effective remedy to fight various infections that cause swelling in the body. It boosts your immune system which effectively aids in preventing inflammation caused due to diseases and several other health conditions. The root also has inflammatory properties that quickly ease swelling.
Astragalus root has strong medicinal properties which make it quite useful in treating various medical conditions. However, too much of it can hurt your body. Thus, make sure that you consume it in moderate quantity. If you are taking tincture or capsules, then consult your doctor to know the correct dosage.
CURE 3. Essential Oils
Essential Oils are your magic potions that can treat your every trouble. These are an excellent remedy for those who looking to reduce swelling. Essential oils, derived from plant extracts has many beneficial properties that make them the most useful resource that you can resort to for every condition including swelling in feet, ankles, knee, etc. Grapefruit is one such essential oil that you use to treat inflammation in your body.
How to use?
- Fill a bath with warm water
- Add to it a few drops of Grapefruit essential oil
- Soak in it for some time to heal the inflammation
- Add a few drops of Grapefruit essential oil in a carrier oil like sweet almond oil or olive oil.
- Massage the blend on the swollen area. Rub your swollen foot, ankle in an upward motion. You can also use the remedy to treat your swollen ear.
Benefits of Grapefruit Essential Oil
Grapefruit Essential Oil has potent anti-inflammatory and soothing properties that calm down your skin and reduce swelling.
Grapefruit Essential Oil is quite potent; hence you must use it only in diluted form. Applying it directly in concentrated form can harm your sensitive skin. Also, while massaging make sure that you apply pressure in the direction towards the heart. Do not move downwards or rub in circular motion.
Shop for Grapefruit Essential Oil
CURE 4. Home Remedies
Turmeric is well-known for its medicinal properties. The magical spice has been in use for thousands of years for treating various ailments. From curing digestive troubles to fighting infections, the applications of turmeric are many, and one such prominent use is reducing inflammation.
Available in the form of grounded spice, turmeric solves all your troubles related to swelling. Curcumin(1) is a compound found in turmeric that gives the spice its medicinal properties.
How to use?
- Add a pinch of turmeric in a glass of hot milk
- Alternatively, add turmeric powder to your dish
- Or, buy curcumin capsule
Benefits of Turmeric
Including turmeric in your diet helps in fighting off the infections that cause swelling and effectively eases the pain. Also, turmeric speeds up the healing process of your body, thus, enabling in the reduction of swelling.
Studies show that turmeric works as a natural painkiller. Its effect on the body is similar to that of ibuprofen. It eases the pain in and swelling in joints and is an excellent remedy for arthritis.
Turmeric provides the body with internal heat. Hence, on a regular consumption watch out for signs from your body if you are getting heated up like small red bumps on the skin or uneasiness.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has numerous benefits and is used in treating various conditions. It can be a magical remedy for treating your swollen foot too.
How to use?
- Take two bowls and fill them half with apple cider vinegar
- Two the one bowl add warm water and the other add cold water
- Soak a towel in the apple cider vinegar and warm water mix
- Take out the towel and squeeze out excess water
- Wrap it around the swollen area
- Let it stay for some time
- After that repeat the process with the cold apple cider vinegar solution
- Repeat the process after a few hours if the swelling does not reduce
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
This apple cider vinegar provides immediate relief from the swelling. Apple cider vinegar has a fluid absorption action which causes the swollen area to lose the excess fluid that got accumulated in the region, thus subsiding the swelling.
If there is an open cut in the swollen area, then avoid this remedy as apple cider vinegar is acidic and may cause sharp pain.
CURE 5. Natural Treatments
Indulge in yoga and exercise
Treat the swelling in fingers and hands or any other body part by indulging in some simple yoga exercises. Practicing yoga or some light exercises can be one of the best ways to reduce swelling.
How to do Yoga?
- If you are a beginner, then try some simple yoga postures and breathing exercises to stimulate the blood flow in your body
- Fix a daily schedule for practicing yoga and make yourself available at that time
- Early morning is the best time to practice yoga
Alternatively, if you are not a fan of yoga, then you can try some light, fun exercises that ensure increased blood flow to the inflamed part of the body.
Benefits of yoga and exercise
Practicing yoga or some other simple workout optimizes the functioning of your circulatory system. It increases the blood flow thus accelerating the healing of the area which eventually reduces the swelling.
Epsom salt bath
Epsom salt bath is one of the most effective ways to reduce swelling. Try an Epsom salt bath to get rid of the vaginal swelling.
How to use?
- Add lukewarm water to your bathtub
- To the water, add around two cups of Epsom salt
- Soak in it for around twenty minutes
- After that, dab yourself dry.
Benefits of soaking in Epsom salt Bath
Epsom salt contains magnesium sulfate which effectively works to reduce swelling. When you soak in Epsom Salt Bath, magnesium sulfate gets readily absorbed in your body and immediately alleviates swelling and inflammation. The Epsom Salt bath can also help in reducing penis swelling.
[Also Read: Cure Swelling Using Epsom Salt]
CURE 6. Supplements
If you frequently witness swelling behind the knee or other body parts and want to know how to treat it effectively, then try popping in some magnesium. It is an effective remedy to reduce swelling.
How to use?
- Add magnesium supplement to your daily diet
- The recommended dosage is between 200 and 400 milligram
Benefits of Magnesium Supplement
Magnesium is an essential mineral required by your body. Besides regulating conditions like obesity, insomnia, and diabetes, it is also known to reduce swelling. It is useful in treating swelling which occurs due to water retention. Thus, swollen eyelid, lips, ears, etc., can be easily addressed by including magnesium supplement in your diet.
Limit your magnesium intake to the recommended amount. Taking in too much can hurt your health.
Other Conventional ways to treat Swelling
Besides the remedies mentioned above, you can try the following conventional ways that significantly contribute to reducing the swelling.
Yes, it might surprise you, but drinking water is one of the best ways to reduce swelling. Whether it be your swollen fingers, lip swelling or knee swelling, cure them by drinking water. Swelling often occurs due to water retention.
Your body retains water when it does not get an adequate supply of water, i.e., when it is not hydrated enough, it tends to store the fluids it has. This retention of water causes swelling in your body. Thus, to prevent the excess collection of fluid in the body, drink more water.
[Also Read: Benefits of Drinking Water]
Massaging can be an effective treatment for mild swelling. Gently apply pressure on the swollen area by rubbing in the direction of the heart. It stimulates the blood flow in the region and also reduces the accumulation of extra fluid in the area.
Swollen feet and ankles can get cured by compression gear. Wearing compression socks prevents swelling. These are known to provide significant results. If you suffer from frequent swelling in feet, then compression socks are a must for you.
These are available in grocery stores and online as well. Numerous varieties of compression socks with different compressions and weights are available in the market. If you are not sure of what would be good for you, then start with lighter-weight socks.
Sitting and standing for long time durations can also result in swelling in feet and legs. Thus, if you wish to prevent it, make sure that you take a break from your position and move around. It regulates the blood flow in your feet and to avoid swelling. Hence, whenever you get the opportunity, take a small walk and flex your ankles and knees.
So these were some simple remedies to reduce swelling. Frequent swelling can be troublesome for you, hence adopt useful dietary and lifestyle changes to prevent swelling. Exterior swelling or swelling caused due to infections, water retention or minor injury can be treated easily with these remedies. These are simple to employ and provide you quick results.