You might feel embarrassed to admit it, but the fact of the matter is that almost 90% of the people suffer from irregular and painful bowel movement otherwise known as constipation.
Of the 90%, about 60% are continually constipated, while the rest are affected for a few days or so. The major question is how to get rid of constipation? For this, it’s important to understand what exactly constipation is.
What is constipation?
When it becomes extremely difficult to pass the bowel and the regular interval between two consecutive stool passing sessions increases visibly, or the normal frequency of bowel movement decreases and it becomes extremely agonizing to pass the hardened stool, then this condition or disease is termed as constipation.
The most noticeable symptom of constipation is about two to three painful bowel movements in a week.
What are the symptoms of constipation?
A few noticeable constipation symptoms are
- Highly infrequent bowel movement
- Hardened stool that is painful to pass out
- Feeling of blockage in the rectum
- Feeling of bloating and acute abdominal cramps.
What are the causes of constipation?
A poor diet, lack of physical exercise, over-consumption of junk food, inadequate intake of fluids, excessive consumption of caffeine and alcohol and other drugs and habitual abuse of chemical laxatives are the few general constipation causes.
The foods that cause constipation are unripe bananas, red meat, fried food, dairy products like ice-cream and cheese, processed grains, chip and etc.
What constitutes amongst the exercises for constipation?
A regular morning and evening walk of 15-20 minutes or activities like jogging, swimming, dancing and aerobics aid in the smooth functioning of the digestive tract.
Yoga for constipation is an effective way to stay fit and healthy. The Supta Matsyendrasana is the most effective yoga pose to get relief from constipation.
Natural Remedies for Constipation:
How to relieve constipation through natural remedies? There are several different remedies for constipation available at the drug store, but it is not advisable to take harmful chemical pills and tablets that erode your intestinal lining and often cause stomach ulcers.
If you are suffering from infrequent bowel movement accompanied by an acute stomach ache, then the best way to cure the constipation is to opt for natural remedies that are not only incredibly effective but also completely harmless and organic in nature.
Are you stressed about, how to get rid of constipation(1) immediately? Then try out the enlisted home remedies. Home remedies for constipation do not leave any negative side effects on your body and when followed through with care, you heal quicker and regain your health soon enough.
15 Home Remedies for Constipation:
1. Prune Juice-
- Drink a glass of fresh prune juice in the morning as soon as you get out of bed and another glass of prune juice at night before going to bed.
- Instead of drinking the juice, you may also eat a handful of prunes, once in the morning and then again at night.
Prunes can give you instant relief from constipation. They are rich in fibrous content that adds volume to your stool and enables it to pass out with ease.
The dihydrophenylisatin contained in prunes enable regular functioning of the intestine. Prunes also contain vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals that nourish your body.
However, you need to be cautious about drinking prune juice. Make sure that the first glass of juice gets excreted out before taking the second glass of juice.
2. Enema Apparatus-
You need a fountain syringe and the enema apparatus for this remedy. Do not worry. These are easily available in any local drug store.
- Fill a cup to 1/3rd of its volume with fresh lemon juice.
- Stir in a tablespoon of salt with the juice.
- Add this salty lemon juice to a litre of lukewarm water.
- Fill the fountain syringe with the solution and fill the enema bag with the rest of the solution.
- Insert the solution gently into your rectum.
- Hold the enema bag at a height of about 20 inches above the rectum.
- Open the clamp slowly and fill the enema tube with the lemon-water solution.
- Remove all the air from the enema tube. Lie down facing your left and insert the nozzle slowly into your anus.
- As soon as the insertion is done, release the clamp. This will make the solution flow smoothly into the colon.
- Hold your position until the entire solution has flowed into your intestine.
- Now hold yourself against the pressure for ten minutes straight. After that go straight to the toilet to excrete out the bowels that had got stuck.
Enema solution helps to soften the stool and generates a pressure inside the colon that urges you to excrete with ease. The salt and lemon juice helps to balance the intestinal pH value.
3. Fibrous Food-
Food rich in fibrous content includes whole grains, oats, brown rice, broccoli, nuts, apricots, apples, beans, potatoes and other vegetables. It is an effectual solution amongst impacted stool home remedies.
- Eat two bowls of fibrous food in a day on a daily basis for permanent relief from constipation.
- Fibre helps in the retention of water and acts as a natural stool softener. It makes the stool bulky thereby enabling easier bowel movement.
4. Castor Oil-
- Take a teaspoon full of castor oil on an empty stomach every morning for a few days and for at most a week to relieve you of constipation.
- Mix the oil with a teaspoon of lemon juice or take the oil with a glass of hot milk if it is difficult for you to swallow the raw castor oil(2).
Castor oil is an amazing natural remedy for constipation. It makes the hardened stool soft and relieves you of constipation within a few of hours. Do not extend the consumption of castor oil beyond a week unless the doctor advises otherwise.
5. Herbal Tea-
- Boil a cup of water and add a teaspoon of herbal tea leaves to the boiled water.
- Let this sit for a few minutes.
- Strain out the tea and drink with slow sips.
- You may drink three to five cups of herbal tea in a day to get rid of constipation.
Herbal tea is a natural and highly effectual laxative that enables you to excrete out the hard stool comfortably.
The tea is responsible for retention of water in the intestine which makes the stool bulky and soft. You may add a tablespoon of honey to a cup of herbal tea to enhance its taste and improve its laxative nature.
The kinds of herbal tea that are highly suitable include green tea, black tea, and peppermint tea. You may serve herbal tea to children as well if they are suffering from constipation.
6. Olive Oil-
- Take 2 tablespoons of olive oil on an empty stomach.
- Take it every morning for a few days and for at most a week and constipation will be cured.
Olive oil is a natural laxative that can be administered every day to soften the stool and ease the movement of excretion.
The oil creates a smooth and slippery film on the walls of the colon that makes it easier for you to pass out the hardened stool. You may also use olive oil in your cooking apart from consuming it every day.
7. Coconut Oil-
- Take half a tablespoon of coconut oil on an empty stomach every morning and half a tablespoon of coconut oil every night before going to bed.
- Take it for three days and to get quick relief from constipation.
- You may also mix a tablespoon of coconut oil with your food.
- If you are suffering from chronic constipation, then take a tablespoon of coconut oil for two to three days for quick relief.
Coconut oil is loaded with medium chain fatty acids that relieve you from an infrequent movement of bowels. Do not exceed the daily consumption of coconut oil beyond 4 tablespoons as excess consumption can cause diarrhoea.
8. Baking Soda-
Wondering how to cure constipation with baking soda? Well, read on.
- Add a teaspoon of baking soda(3) to a glass of lukewarm water and stir well.
- Drink this up quickly on an empty stomach every morning.
- This will give you immediate relief from constipation.
Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate helps to relieve flatulence, bloating and acidity of the alimentary canal. It is highly effective for patients of all ages and has no side-effects whatsoever.
[Read: Baking Soda Enema]
- Add 2 teaspoons of Triphala powder to a glass of lukewarm water and stir well till the powder dissolves.
- Drink the solution daily before going to bed at night for a few days.
- Do not eat or drink anything after taking the Triphala solution, not even water.
- You may drink water after about half an hour from taking the liquid.
Triphala powder is composed of amlaki, hartuki and bibhitak. It is an ancient and highly effective Ayurvedic remedy that improves digestion by stimulating the secretion of digestive enzymes.
It enhances the contraction of muscles around the intestines and acts as a natural laxative to relieve you of constipation.
10. Wheat Bran-
- Add some wheat bran to your pancakes, soups, bread, and stews.
- Take about 20-25 grams of wheat bran on a daily basis.
Wheat bran is an insoluble fibre that makes your stool soft and bulky acting as a natural constipation relief. It enables you to pass it out with ease. It accelerates the colon and increases the frequency of bowel movement.
- Have a couple of oranges on a daily basis to get relief from painful constipation.
- You may also drink a glass of fresh orange juice in the morning as soon as you get out of bed and another glass of orange juice at night before going to bed.
Oranges are rich in vitamin C and fibrous content. Vitamin C reduces the pain of constipation and is a natural stimulant of detoxifying gastric juices.
It helps to eliminate unhealthy toxins and indigestible material from the alimentary canal. The fibre in oranges adds bulk to your stool and eases it out of your colon.
12. Flax Seeds-
- Take half a tablespoon of ground flax seeds every morning on an empty stomach.
- Increment your intake to two tablespoons gradually.
Flax seeds contain omega 3 fatty acids which aid in fluid retention. They also contain mucilage, slimy and slippery compound that layers the digestive tract and eases excretion. Flax seeds are one of the best natural Home remedies of constipation.
13. Isabgol Husk-
This is one of the most effective natural laxatives.
- Add a sachet of isabgol husk or a tablespoon of the same to a glass of cold water or milk.
- Stir well until the liquid attains a gelatinous consistency.
- Drink this liquid twice daily for a smooth and regular bowel movement.
Isabgol is rich in fibre and its laxative properties aids in softening the stool thus relieving constipation.
14. Kiwi Fruits-
Have a kiwi fruit daily to relieve yourself of constipation.
Kiwi fruit is rich in water and fibrous content that re-establishes smooth and frequent functioning of bowel movement.
Eat a cup of plain yogurt daily to cure painful constipation. It is one of the best natural cures for constipation.
Yogurt is loaded with probiotics that assist digestion by the alteration of micro biota in our bowels. This makes yogurt highly beneficial in treating constipation.
1. Is constipation a sign of pregnancy?
A woman tends to be constipated during the initial stages of pregnancy due to the hormone progesterone that slows down the regularity of bowel movement. But constipation is certainly not an indicator of pregnancy.
2. Is constipation dangerous?
3. Is constipation a sign of period?
During the pre-menstrual phase, the uterus extends and pressurizes the intestines which result in mild constipation. Change in the level of sex hormones in the body during menstruation also leads to bloating, flatulence and constipation.