The most common kind of yeast infection that occurs in humans is Candidiasis yeast infection. Although these infections occur across all ages and genders—in infants, children, and adults—they are the most common in women. At least once in a lifetime, 75% of women get affected by vaginal yeast infections.
Herbs for Yeast Infection
Garlic contains a compound called Allicin which functions both as an antibacterial and antifungal agent. Therefore, it cures bacterial and fungal infections. A research conducted in China on the antibacterial properties of garlic indicated how garlic proved efficient in preventing the growth of many different strains of bacteria(3). In spite of no real evidence to assert if garlic is good for yeast infections, many people claim to have had positive results on using it.
How to Use and How Much to Use?
There are two different ways to use garlic for curing a vaginal yeast infection.
- One is oral consumption in the form of tablets or garlic extract. Just remove the outermost peal and consume less than half of a garlic clove, either in food or raw. Garlic tablets are readily available at the stores.
People have used oregano oil since times immemorial to treat a wide variety of diseases and infections. Even today, it is an efficient remedy to fight against yeast infection. It is rich in antifungal properties because it contains carvacrol. Oregano oil also boosts the immune system.
Always look for the oregano oil extracted from Origanumvulgare, made up of 2 essential components –carvacrol and thymol. Two critical studies provide evidence for its effectiveness.
- A 2001 study revealed that wild oregano is good in stopping or slowing down C. Albicans from multiplying. But, it only depends on the dosage administered.
- Another research conducted in 2005 found that thymol present in Oregano oil fights against Candida infections (fungal infections)(4).
There are two possible ways to administer oregano oil.
- You can use Oregano essential oil for aromatherapy.
- The other way is by using oregano oil only for external use. However, it is recommended to mix 1-2 drops of oregano oil with one spoon of olive oil to dilute it.
[Also Read: 10 Best-Known Essential Oils for Yeast Infection]
People have been using wildflower called Echinacea for a long time to cure several kinds of diseases and infections.
Before antibiotics rediscovered in the US, this herb was used entirely to treat such kinds of medical conditions. Fortunately, it also treats fungal infections.
Firstly, it is good to know that Echinacea products are available in the stores in a variety of forms—tea, tablets, and juices.
There is not much evidence to suggest the best method of administration of Echinacea. However, it seems that the oral intake of Echinacea, when administered along with the external use of antifungal cream, shows the best results.
Although there are no clear-cut rules to be followed concerning the dosage, it seems to work best in the following scenarios.
- If 6-7ml of Echinacea is ingested orally per day.
- When administered in the early stages of the infection than when the symptoms become worse.
- If it is administered several times.
- When used for 5-10 days continuously.
[Also Read: Treat Yeast Infection with Natural Remedies]
This red-colored natural remedy grown on the pepper trees of New Zealand helps to eradicate growing Candida cells. It contains ‘polygodial’ which has antifungal characteristics. Therefore, it also helps in treating the fungal infection.
Interestingly, people seeking a natural remedy like Horopito don’t have to be disappointed because it comes in a variety of forms—powder, tablets/capsules, gels, etc. With so many options to choose from, it is easier to select the type which you think works for you.
As far as dosage is concerned,
- It is recommended to take one tablet/capsule two times a day.
- One can also consume it in the liquid form, drinking 1.4-4.2 ml per day.
So, go ahead and try this natural herb to cure your vaginal yeast infection.
5. Aloe Vera
People living in India and other parts of Asia quite frequently use Aloe Vera for different purposes. Aloe Vera has become one of the most commonly used products. Aloe Vera has been used in face wash, lotion, gel, etc. by some of the renowned brands.
[Also Read: Coconut Oil for Yeast Infections]
But, can Aloe Vera be used to cure yeast infection too?
Well, the answer is yes.
A 2011 research conducted by the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) revealed that a protein, when extracted from the Aloe Vera gel, had antifungal properties(5).
It is so versatile that it is not only used as an antibacterial or an antifungal agent but also an antiviral agent. However, it uses an entirely different mechanism to do so. All it does is increases the WBC (White Blood Cell) count in the body to kill all the fungal-infected cells.
- Apply it to the affected area at least three times a day.
- If you wish to consume it, drink 4 ounces of it a day if the infection is severe and 2 ounces a day if it is not.
[Read: Coconut Oil for Candida]
6. Grape Seeds
A correlation between grape seed extract and its effectiveness in treating yeast infections with an experiment on mice. But, how do we get the grape seed extract? One can extract it from the grape pulp and the seeds.
People feel that using grape seeds might cure yeast infections. This idea holds because grape extract also has antifungal characteristics. A study conducted in the year 2015 suggested how the grapefruit extract can be a potential agent for eliminating Candida.
In case you are looking for a less painful remedy for the infection, then you must try grapefruit extract instead. Grapefruit extract doesn’t cause any burning sensation.
[Also Read: Apple Cider Vinegar for Yeast Infection]
Following these simple steps will treat your fungal infection.
- Dip cotton balls into it and apply it directly to the infected area.
- Let it dry for some time.
- Repeat it twice a day and see if this works for you.
There is always a 50% chance that the herbs and home remedies may work or sometimes, they may not work. It is advisable to visit a doctor in case you experience a severe infection.
The visit will help you understand the intensity and stages of your symptoms while also help you in preventing them from aggravating. Also, a study on a variety of other factors —how to use them, when to use them, are there any side effects, etc. to acquaint yourself with the best remedy.
|The treatments listed in this article are available for purchase online.|
1. Which Are the Top Natural Remedies Used for Yeast Infection?
One can administer several natural remedies for yeast infection at home. Yogurt, fresh garlic cloves, coconut oil, Aloe Vera, etc. are the proven natural remedies for yeast infection. People also use turmeric for yeast infections. Some solutions can be painful (garlic cloves). In such cases, Aloe Vera works well.
2. How Is Aloe Vera Effective in Treating a Yeast Infection?
Aloe Vera is a perfect remedy for skin and hair. It can also treat yeast infections because it has antibacterial, antifungal, and even antiviral qualities. There can be specific side effects due to allergy or interaction with other medicines. But, it is usually considered safe.