Gallstones often render you with an intensifying pain in the upper right portion of your abdomen. Although gallstones can be formed due to a lot of causes, the Harvard Health Publications suggests that cholesterol deposition in the bile duct or the gallbladder is the most cited cause (1). About 80% of them are formed due to the high content of cholesterol.
When excruciating pain strikes, treatments never seem to be at a ‘stone’s throw’ distance. But you can try quick fixes like some of these home remedies for gallstones to treat it effectively.
- many Astronauts voluntarily get their healthy gallbladders removed to prevent getting gallstones in the future, as there are no hospitals in space. (2)
- An 85-year older woman made the Guinness World Record of being a woman with 23.530 gallstones which had to be operated, all at once.
Home Remedies for Gallstones
Gallstones vary in size. They can either be very small or huge. If they are small, this condition can be cured using home remedies. Check the remedies that you could try.
It is undeniably true that turmeric has long been used as a medicinal herb because it exhibits many essential properties. It is used as a dye and sometimes, as an active ingredient in the food, as a natural remedy and so on.
Turmeric functions as an anti-inflammatory remedy because it contains curcumin, which helps in the process of healing. Gallstones can be formed when bodily substances like bile, cholesterol, or bilirubin get deposited. One of the remedies involves cleansing the gallbladder.
It stimulates more secretion of bile in the gallbladder and eases emptying the gallbladder. Additionally, taking turmeric in your food reduces pain and gallbladder inflammation.
Turmeric and gallstones function as a perfect combination, but only when taken in the right amount.
- You can add a teaspoon of turmeric in your tea. This will help in relieving pain.
- Curcumin, which is the anti-inflammatory substance present in turmeric, is also available in the market as soft gels (oral supplement).
2. Milk Thistle
Milk thistle dates back to ancient times. It is native to Europe and quite effective in treating gallbladder problems.
But How Does Milk Thistle Work?
- Some clinical experiments suggest the presence of silymarin in it, which prevents the formation of gallstones.
- In experiments conducted on animal models, one finds that thistle milk increases the bile acid production, which helps in the dissolution of extra cholesterol, thereby dissolving the gallstones.
- Some people believe that milk thistle causes contractions, thereby preventing the formation of gallstones in the future.
People with Type 2 Diabetes should consult a doctor before administering milk thistle because it tends to lower blood sugar levels.
Milk thistle is readily available in the form of pills. The dosage of milk thistle varies between 400milligrams to 450 milligrams per day.
The primary reason for consuming fewer amounts of milk thistle is that the body quickly absorbs the main component present in it (silymarin). Thus, its intake should be limited.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has anti-inflammatory properties. It soothes the inflammation and pain caused by gallstones in the body.
Apple Cider Vinegar as a home remedy is used as a natural treatment to treat gallstones. People claim that apple cider vinegar treats gallstones by making them soft, enabling easy removal of these gallstones from the body in the form of urine.
You shouldn’t consume Apple cider vinegar directly. Consuming it in concentrated form can be harmful to your teeth and body.
- Dilute it with warm water. Add two spoons of apple cider vinegar into warm water. Stir it. Once diluted, drink it. After about 10-15 minutes, the pain shall subside.
- Another effective way is to consume a diluted form of apple cider vinegar with apple juice. Try doing this for approximately two weeks, and you will find the stones getting dissolved.
Apple Cider Vinegar is readily available in health stores. However, consult your medical practitioner if you have diabetes, or have other medical problems.
4. Lemon Juice
Countries like the USA have long used remedies like lemon juice. A quite obvious explanation for this is that drinking lots of liquid helps to flush out gallstones.
However, doctors and medical trials don’t believe in the potentiality of lemon extracts for removing gallstones.
But, many people claim to have observed positive results by using lemon juice. Lemon juice is undoubtedly rich in two essential ingredients—Vitamin C and citric acid, which play a very vital role in curing gallbladder stones. They work in the following manner.
- They help in the dissolution of calcium deposits in the bile duct and gallbladder, thereby removing gallstones.
- Vitamin C and citric acid present in lemon juice also act as antimicrobial agents with antioxidant properties. This helps to fight against gallbladder infections.
- According to the medical journal, you should drink one spoon of lemon juice with four spoons of olive oil (5). But make sure to drink it on an empty stomach.
- In case you don’t have olive oil, you can extract juice from four lemons and mix with warm water. Repeat it for a few weeks to get the desired results.
[Also Read: Diet That Treats Gallstones]
5. Coconut Oil
As you know, the primary reason for the formation of gallstones is due to the accumulation or deposition of unhealthy fats
In That Case, Coconut Oil Proves a Perfect Antidote. Do You Know Why?
- It is a good source of essential fats that can be easily absorbed and digested by our liver.
- Additionally, the monoglyceride and the diglyceride acid in coconut oil help in the dissolution of calcium salts.
- This remedy is smooth, with no side effects.
Since coconut oil contains fats, consuming it in large quantities could worsen the condition. According to the USDA National Nutrient Database, a single tablespoon of coconut oil consists of 13.6 grams of fat. So, consuming coconut oil in excess can cause harm.
To Get Quick Benefits, Follow These Guidelines.
- You can either consume coconut oil in food or mix it with other ingredients.
- Warm the coconut oil and add ingredients like lemon juice, a small portion of ginger and one-fourth apple juice to it. After mixing it well, drink it. Do this regularly to get the desired results.
[Also Read: Health Benefits of Coconut Oil]
6. Peppermint Tea
People consume various kinds of tea. Some people like black tea instead of milk tea. Others prefer herbal tea as it is made up of natural extracts. But, have you ever thought about trying peppermint tea, especially if you are suffering from gallstones?
When your body starts churning gallstones, it becomes challenging to survive with such pain. In such cases, it is good to drink peppermint tea, which contains menthol. Menthol provides relief from pain. Peppermint contains a chemical compound called terpene. This compound helps in the disintegration of gallstones formed in the gallbladder, thereby eradicating them.
To get relief from pain, drink peppermint tea every day to see amazing results.
Peppermint comes in two forms – leaves and capsules. But, it is recommended to consume peppermint supplements instead of leaves since consuming pills are considered to be more effective. Also, ensure to consume coated capsules to avoid heartburn.
[Also Read: 10 Benefits of Peppermint Tea]
So, even though the gallbladder is a tiny organ and a small part of the human body, it is not so significant. It is as essential as every other part of the body. A malfunction of the same could cause an enormous amount of unbearable pain. When excruciating pain renders you helpless, you can try these home remedies for gallstones. But, if the symptoms intensify or worsen, do consult a doctor.
1. Which Are the Top Remedies for Gallstones?
There is a whole range of home remedies for gallstones which people employ, including clinical treatments. Home remedies such as Vitamin C, boldo, peppermint, turmeric, etc. are effective in treating gallstones. Coffee and turmeric are good antidotes for gallstones. However, there is some evidence in support of some home remedies. Thus, before using them, make sure to see a doctor.
2. How Apple Cider Vinegar and Lemon Juice Help in Treating Gallstones?
Treating gallstones with apple cider vinegar and lemon juice is a simple process. Since both of them are liquids, they facilitate the smooth passage of the gallstones out of the body. They flush out gallstones and relieve pain.