Yeast infections can be extremely uncomfortable and can get very itchy. These infections can be difficult to get rid of. There are many medical treatments for yeast infections which are provided by health experts. However, there is a wide range of home remedies too. They do not have any side effects as compared to the locally available prescription creams for yeast infections. One such home remedy is coconut oil for yeast infection.
Coconut Oil for Yeast Infections
What is a Yeast Infection?
A yeast infection is a typical kind of a fungal infection, and mainly targets genital areas of both men and women. Yeast infections are prevalent in women, especially vaginal yeast infections. Most of the healthy vaginas contain some yeast. When these yeasts grow too much, they lead to a condition of yeast infection. These infections are very uncomfortable and irritating. To clarify, yeast infections are not STDs. They are not at all contagious, and they do not spread with sexual or physical contact(1).
What the causes of a yeast infection?
The main reason for yeast infections is overgrowth of Yeast. Yeast infections are prevalent especially in and around the vaginal area. The very first signal is itching and burning sensations. Vaginal yeast infection is commonly termed as vulvovaginal candidiasis.
[Also Read: Treat Yeast Infection with Natural Remedies]
What are the types of yeast infection?
There are many types of yeast infections. They are differentiated based on the areas where they occur. The common types of yeast infection include vaginal yeast infection, penis yeast infection, and also scrotum yeast infection. Some people even get yeast infections in mouth, throat, or on the tongue.
What are the symptoms of yeast infection?
Some of the symptoms of yeast infection are as follows;
- Thick, white, clumpy vaginal discharge
- Creamy or whitish coating around the vaginal area
- Itching and burning sensations
- Redness around the vaginal area
- Uncomfortable or painful sexual intercourse
- Fissures or sores on vagina or vulva
Why use coconut oil for yeast infection?
Coconut oil contains a high amount of saturated fats and is a high source of myristic acid and omega- 5 fatty acids that are known to curb risks of breast cancer.
Virgin coconut oil is also said to contain excellent antifungal and antioxidant properties. They are also called as carrier oils or as base oils, used to dilute potent essential oils before they could be applied to the skin.
This oil is said to have significant health benefits, such as helping with digestion and balancing hormones. Since it also imbibes antibacterial properties, it is considered extremely helpful for conditions of yeast infections.
Types of Coconut oil
There are a variety of coconut oils, each differing from the other based on extraction methods. Some of them are:
Virgin coconut oil:
This oil is considered the best form of coconut oil for yeast infection.
Organic coconut oil:
Applying this oil onto the affected areas helps the accumulated fats to break down in cellulite areas.
Cold pressed coconut oil:
It is also free of any additives and is highly loaded with antioxidant benefits.
How to use coconut oil for yeast infection?
Before getting to know the use of coconut oil for yeast infections, one should always ensure that when purchasing, always buy organic and pure coconut oil. Some companies sell coconut oil which contains chemical preservatives, which can end up giving side effects instead of giving 100 percent results for yeast infections. Generally, purest form of coconut oil does not have a strong smell of coconut.
One way to use coconut oil for yeast infection is by directly applying coconut oil to the affected regions. Make sure to rub the oil well into the skin and also in between the folds of skin especially where there are significant traces of yeast infection.
Another way to use coconut oil for yeast infection in and around the mouth region is by oil pulling method. Warm up 2 to 3 tablespoons of pure or organic coconut oil for a few seconds. Ensure that the oil is warm enough to be able to swish it inside the mouth. Now swish the oil for about 10 seconds, and thereafter spit it out.
For conditions of yeast infections for the vaginal area, health experts suggest to get a tampon with coconut oil and insert into the vagina. Coconut oil is considered safe for use in sensitive areas like the vaginal areas.
There are two forms of coconut oil – the Virgin coconut oil and commercial coconut oil. The virgin coconut oil is said to be the purest form of coconut oil, and it comes with barely any side effects. This oil is extracted from premium quality coconuts and through cold pressing which is organic, without any artificial and synthetic fillers and preservatives. On the other hand, the commercial coconut oil undergoes chemical processes during extraction and comes with the added chemical as preservatives, which can lead to side effects like allergies, rashes, inflammation and much more. Use of commercial coconut oil should be avoided in children and toddlers as they are more prone to allergies owing to the chemicals.
Coconut oil doesn’t have any side effects. However, there are a few points wherein the use of coconut oil should be avoided.
- If you are not sure whether the problem is, in fact, a yeast infection
- If undergoing other medication for yeast infection
- Have a case of recurring yeast infections
- If one is allergic to coconut oil
- Pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers
Dos and don’ts
- Doing a patch test to know if coconut oil doesn’t cause any irritation is vital. In case of an allergic reaction or redness, one must consult a health expert.
- Storing the oil in a dry and cool place is of utmost importance.
- Consumption of oil is advisable only after an approval from a health expert.
Coconut oil is considered very safe for everyone across all age groups. However, there are few pointers to be kept in mind as precautions before using Coconut oil.
- Pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers should be careful and consult a health expert before using the same.
- A consultation with a health expert for using coconut oil for children is a must.
[Read: Herbs for Yeast Infection]
Other home remedies for yeast infections
- Tea tree oil for yeast infections: tree tea oil is known for its antifungal properties. It has a great ability to help kill bacteria and fungus. Vaginal treatment products containing tea tree oil are said to treat vaginal yeast infections. Merely use a diluted form of tea tree oil on a tampon and insert it into the vagina. Let it stay overnight. One must ensure to dilute it very well since some people could be allergic to tea tree oil and also the vaginal walls are highly sensitive.
- Natural yogurt for yeast infection: natural yogurt which is unsweetened and unflavored is known to possess beneficial bacteria, called probiotics. They majorly contribute towards health and also help in restoring the balance of bacteria and yeast content on the human body.
- Oil of oregano for yeast infections: oil of oregano made from the wild oregano contains two major potent antifungals namely thymol and carvacrol. There is research which shows that wild oregano oil inhibits the growth of Candida albicans. Mix a few drops of oil of oregano essential oil along with almond oil, coconut oil and also olive oil. Just soak a tampon into the mixture and insert it into the vaginal area. And leave it on for 2-4 hours. It is not advisable to leave it beyond 6 hours.
This is all one must know regarding coconut oil for yeast infection. It is advised to consult a health expert in case of extremely severe case of yeast infections. Get over those uncomfortable and itchy days by getting rid of yeast infections. The above elaborates on the reasons why one should use coconut oil as a remedy for yeast infections. However, those opting for home remedies must ensure to continue the process for a more extended period for useful results.