Natural remedies and products are becoming more and more popular these days. People do not want to fall prey to the side effects of chemical drugs. So, they are trying to find easy, quick and economical solutions for their health or body issues.
Owing to this, people have realized that essential oils act wonders for many body and health problems. Antifungal essential oils are one such remedy which fights fungal infections and gives quick relief with no side effects.
Fungal infections are the result of bad fungi development in or on your body due to a weakened immune system. Most of the fungal infections are not fatal but may become potentially dangerous if not treated in time.
Causes for Fungal Infection
- Yeasts or dermatophytes
- Fungal infection tends to grapple in its clutches those who have a weakened immune system. Thus, people who have diabetes, HIV positive, suffering from cancer or AIDS are most likely to suffer from fungal infections. Children and the elderly are prone to it too.
- Those who sweat profusely are highly likely to promote fungus growth. Thus, those with tight and sweaty clothes and uncomfortable shoes and socks and those from warm, humid climate usually suffer.
- They spread rapidly due to the personal contact with the sufferer or when fungal (1)spores are inhaled.
Essential Oils Are Anti-Fungal?
1. Tea Tree Oil
This oil, which also goes by the name of melaleuca oil, is famed for its multi-purpose properties(2). Obtained from the indigenous plant species of Australia, these oil works wonder for your skin and hair. Also, it keeps a terrible odor at bay.
Why Use Tea Tree Oil?
Tea tree oil is effective in terminating a significant lot of bad fungus. It helps to alleviate fungal toe infection. Besides, it brings much-needed relief from Athlete’s foot too. It puts you out of your misery without dangerous side effects.
How to Use?
- Blend the oil with an equal amount of coconut oil.
- Apply topically on the affected area.
- Wash your hands carefully to avoid further spreading of infection.
- Also, it can be topically applied purely without a carrier oil.
[Read: Benefits of Tea Tree Oil]
2. Peppermint Oil
This versatile oil offers a wide array of health benefits to all those who use it efficiently. This oil dramatically relieves all those perturbed due to irritable bowel syndrome. Besides, this synthesis of water mint and spearmint helps to mitigate muscle and joint pain.
Why Peppermint Essential Oil?
Anti-Fungal properties of Peppermint oil excellently manage to salve the adverse symptoms of candida. Furthermore, peppermint oil has had promising results against other fungal infections too.
How to Use?
- Apply topically solely or with a carrier oil.
- Spread carefully around the affected area.
- Remember to carefully wash off your hands to avoid the unchecked spread of the disease.
3. Thyme Essential Oil
Thyme oil is counted among as the most potent antioxidant known to humanity. Also, it plays a commendable role in regulating blood pressure, improving digestion, maintaining heart health, alleviate joint pain and its calming properties soothes anxiety.
Why Use Thyme Essential Oil?
Thyme essential oil plays a significant role in removing fungus from the food. Owing to its aggressive action in eliminating different sorts of fungal strains, it has found its usage in food and pharmaceuticals. This oil plays a dominating role in checking the spread of candida thereby keeping a check on yeast infection growth.
How to Use?
- Dilute this oil with a few drops of coconut oil.
- Honey can also be used instead of coconut oil.
- Apply the mixture on the affected area to check the further spread of yeast infection.
- Be cautious not to apply anywhere other than the affected area.
4. Oregano Essential Oil
It is high time that we discuss the broad spectrum of application to which oregano oil can be put to. This oil is obtained from oregano plant and since the bygone era is being used owing to its anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic, anti-cancer, antiviral and anti-fungal characteristics.
Why Use Essential Oregano Oil?
Oregano oil provides immense relief from various types of fungal infections. In particular, it has wide demand as it counterattacks fungal infection on the skin. It has both internal as well as an external application and reduces allergic reaction caused by different sorts of dreadful fungi. Carvacrol and thymol present in this oil prevent candida overgrowth.
How to Use?
- Mix a few drops of oregano oil with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Apply topically on affected areas to promote healing of candida.
- Can also be used with heat and salt to salve athlete’s foot.
- Apply carefully so as not to affect areas other than infected ones.
Other Antifungal Essential Oils List
- Lemon essential oil
- Clove essential oil
- Geranium essential oil
- Bitter almond essential oil
- Cinnamon essential oil
- Citronella essential oil
- Eucalyptus essential oil
- Black pepper essential oil
- Cassia essential oil
- Manuka essential oil
- Lavender Essential oil
Why Use These Essential Oils for Fungal Infections?
These essential oils delve into the cause of fungal infections which rob you off of your healthy sense of well being. They have anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antimicrobial and antifungal properties which relieve the infuriating symptoms that get a hold on you on the onset of such infections(3). Fungal infections are not too trying, but once they get a grip of you, they resist letting go.
Synthetic drugs and certain other medications alleviate the symptoms, but they strike back when you are most vulnerable. Besides, these drugs have potential side effects capable enough to hold you under the weather and in certain instances have fatal consequences. This is why one must trust essential oils.
How to Use?
One must know the correct way to use different sorts of essential oils for various fungal infections. The different properties of these essential oils have different reactions, and therefore one must know how to use each essential oil properly.
- Mix a few drops of these oils in combination or solely depending upon their characteristics along with 15-20 drops of carrier oil. Apply this mixture topically to affected areas to get relief.
- Proceed with circumspection so as not to spread fungus on the healthy skin.
- Diffuse these oils using vapor diffuser to ensure healthy and fungus free air.
- Cinnamon, clove and thyme oils can also be taken internally in tiny amounts.
DIY Essential Oils
DIY Antifungal Role on the Bend
Use ten drops each of tea tree essential oil, patchouli essential oil, clove essential oil, lavender and five drops of peppermint essential oil. Dilute it with thirty drops of carrier oil such as almond. Blend them correctly in a roller bottle. Stir it well to apply topically on the affected area.
DIY for Athlete’s Foot Rub
This antifungal essential oil recipe proves quite beneficial in tackling an athlete’s foot. Mix 1 tbsp of coconut oil in 10-20 drops of tea tree oil and apply it topically on affected areas.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Place your trust on FDA approved essential oils. Ensure that your essential oils are adulteration free.
- Always dilute your essential oils with carrier oils as they are highly concentrated and direct application may prove detrimental to the skin.
- Don’t use it in pregnancy.
- Let healthcare experts be the judge whether you should consume it internally. Don’t use without recommendation.
Essential oils are elixirs of life but with great power, comes responsibility too. One should be cautious when using these oils as they are highly concentrated. Always make sure to get a patch test before to find out about your skin allergies. Consult thoroughly with healthcare experts if undergoing treatments or under medications.
- Skin irritation and itching may follow when applied undiluted.
- Pregnant women and babies, when exposed to essential oils, may have serious ramifications.
- When taken internally, extreme complications may arise that may even lead to death.
- Photosensitizing oil may cause skin discoloration and burning.
- Higher risks of allergies.
Essential oils are boon to humanity provided their usage is proper. They have miraculous healing properties and a broad spectrum of application capable of mitigating several problems which otherwise just won’t let go. Essential oils are a compelling alternative to synthetic drugs which wreak havoc on your life with their dangerous side effects.
Essential oils, on the other hand, are scientifically proven to provide you relief from your conditions once and for all thereby ensuring that the symptoms won’t repeat themselves. You ought to be patient and use these oils with proper care. Even these potent natural extracts may prove nugatory if used in the wrong manner. The incorrect usage may lead to your doom and the same extracts, when used correctly, are life-affirming.