Enema is a procedure by which a fluid is inserted through the rectum to clean the bowel. It is one of the oldest and one amongst the numerous medical methods routinely practiced by Africans. The Journal of American Medicine stated that John Harvey Kellogg, M.D., for treatment of gastrointestinal disease in over 40,000 conditions, required surgery for only 20 cases.
Enema benefits are ample. It helps in treating constipation and flushing out waste from the intestine. Read on to know more.
Facts About Enema
- The process of enema needs a liquid to be inserted from the anus into the colon. In the past few decades, the perception and fear associated with enemas have changed. This enema is a colon cleansing procedure which can be done at home or as a part of a pathological process.
- Enema helps cleanse the colon by flushing in warm water. Few doctors often perform enema to relieve headache, body odor, fatigue, and bad breath.
- When a vaginal delivery was completed, enemas were performed as it is believed to have reduced the sources of infection and speeded the labor process.
- Enemas for constipation have been considered an adequate remedy.
- Enema has also been performed to deliver therapeutic drugs in the bowels.
- Did you know that enemas are safe to be performed at home? If you suffer from IBD, this could be a part of your treatment suggested by a gastroenterologist.
Health Benefits of Enemas
1. Relieves Constipation
A water cleansing enema stimulates the bowels and removes the solutions and any remaining fecal matter, thus treating constipation.
2. Increases Energy and Boosts Immunity
Certain types of enemas, like coffee enemas, are known to boost immunity and increase strength while cleansing the colon. It improves gut health as well.
3. Reduces Yeast Overgrowth-
Some enemas benefit in reducing bacterias like Candida prevents fungal infections. Enemas help to do so as they flush bacteria out of the liver and the colon. Adding certain oil aids to remove Candida from the colon and bloodstream.
4. Reduces Autoimmune Diseases
Coffee enemas reduce autoimmune disorders like Hashimoto hypothyroidism. Performing an enema enables liver detox and helps produce bile. It boosts antioxidants as it cleanses the blood, removes toxins, and stops the recycling of bile.
5. Treats Depression
Some studies say that the accumulation of toxins in the liver can cause anxiety(1) and depression due to toxic build-up. Performing an enema cleanses the liver and removes the harmful toxins that trigger depression and anxiety.
Types of Enemas
1. Water Enema
Water enemas help in stool evacuation and help relieve severe constipation. Plain water enema benefits following ways-
- Treats constipation
- Reduces fatigue
- Improves headache
- Reduces backache
Water enema can be easily performed at home with the help of an enema kit from a medical store.
[ Read: Baking Soda Enema Benefits ]
2. Epsom Salt Enema
Epsom salt water enema is considered safe for all adults and children. The amount allowed for it as follows-
- 2-6 years = 6 ounces
- 6-12 years = 12 ounces
- For adolescents and adults = 16 ounces
It can be easily prepared at home, relieves constipation in children, and considered safe for everyone. It is a safe enema for kids.
3. Sodium Phosphate
Sodium helps expand the rectum that helps to release the waste.
4. Lemon Juice
Enemas may be performed using lemon juice and water that balances the pH levels while cleansing the colon.
1. Coffee Enema
You need fresh brewed coffee and water as a mixture for the enema, but ensure that the mix is not too hot else it could damage your colon.
Health Benefits of Coffee enema
- Relieve constipation
- Boosts energy
- Increases immunity
- Treats depression
- Treats cancer
- Prevents yeast growth
- This enema helps removes heavy metal and parasites from the digestive tract.
[ Read: Treat IBS Naturally ]
2. Mineral oil
This enema works as a lubricant and removes waste from the colon while trapping it with water. It is beneficial for severely constipated patients.
3. Herbal enemas
Many perform enemas using herbs like red raspberry leaf, garlic, tea for nutritive, anti-inflammatory benefits.
Precautions to Take
- It must be adequately performed to retain the enema benefits. Frequent enemas can disturb the healthy gut in the bacteria and disrupt the electrolyte balance in the body.
- Many solutions can be used to perform an enema. But, with the enema benefits, there are also some side-effects you should be aware of. The solution which requires coffee, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar can cause
- burns in your rectum
- harm the bowel
- cause rectal burns
- vomiting, and long term complications.
Enemas have proven to be very useful for pregnant women, patients undergoing chemotherapy who suffer from constipation(2). It is an alternative to harmful laxatives and steroids that are used to treat constipation. Most people report that after an enema procedure, they feel lighter, relaxed, and clearer.
Along with Enema benefits, it is suggested that you maintain a high fiber diet, stay hydrated, and continue with regular exercises. If you happen to experience further severe issues, you must then speak to your medical provider.
1. How often can you use an enema?
You can use it for up to 3 days if you have not consulted a physician. If there is still no improvement, you must see your doctor. Do not use more than one enema in 24 hours.
2. Can I eat immediately after an enema?
You shouldn’t be eating for an hour before the enema.