Red light therapy for weight loss has grown in prominence for its cost-effective and convenient techniques. It has also become one of the best options for many suffering from obesity, especially in the United States. Also referred to has infrared or low light therapy, it has benefits beyond treating obesity.
Let’s focus on how red light therapy can help individuals to become thin and healthier. Light therapy uses infrared light from lamps, lasers, or tanning bed-like devices.
A popular method used is an infrared body wrap. This comprises of large silicone bandages or pads emitting infrared light along the arms, torso, and leg. Red light therapy before and after cellulite(1) assessments show it helps in weight loss.
Benefits of Trying Red Light Therapy for Weight Loss
The mechanism through which red-light therapy serves in weight loss is simple.
- It raises the metabolic rate. Red and infrared light stimulates the mitochondria. This action increases glucose oxidation. The light between 600-1000 nanometers stimulates a copper enzyme within the cells. This generates more ATP or adenosine triphosphate/cellular energy. It, in turn, burns the glucose more effectively.
- This increase in metabolic rate results and lower stress.
- It also leads to healthier cells besides building a robust metabolic rate which triggers the burning away of fat. Although agents like thyroid hormones have ATP enhancing effects, the red-light driven oxidative metabolism rates shoot up. This increase in metabolic rates cuts down on stress metabolism.
- It wards off cortisol, free fatty acids, and adrenaline. Increased stress diminishes the metabolism. Red light therapy for weight loss works against this by boosting the energy levels and providing a buffer against stressors which helps lower stress. This is more so in sleep-deprived individuals.
- Besides the metabolic boost, red or infrared light therapy for weight loss boosts blood flow. A vasodilatory effect occurs.
- Red light wavelength photodissociates the NO/nitrogen oxide molecules from respiratory enzymes. This process causes cells to produce more energy. It gains blood flow for essential nutrients like glucose.
- Spot-reduction fat loss is viewed as a myth among health and fitness experts. But, some experts emphasize how pro-metabolic and vasodilatory effects of infrared light therapy for weight loss work. Besides, it offers fat spot reduction and a localized metabolic boost.
- It’s a non-invasive approach for body contouring. It impacts the biomarkers of fat/adipose cells.
[ Read: Benefits of Red Light Therapy ]
Why Does Red Light Therapy for Weight Loss Work?
The human body uses three different kinds of light. These are the UV light, blue light, and red light. Red and infrared light is known for its therapeutic benefits.
- When it comes to fat loss, detoxing, and healing, red light therapy helps. Infrared light therapy for weight loss is invisible. It penetrates the body far more than other forms of light therapy. By stimulating the repair and regenerations of damaged cells, red light therapy speeds up the metabolic rate. This, then, produces energy by stimulating the mitochondria. Red light therapy causes fat cells to release stored fat into the human bloodstream.
- Red light therapy is known by names like low-level light therapy/lightbox therapy/photobiomodulation or biostimulation. It is an alternative method of using low-level lasers or light-emitting diodes to the body’s surface. Low power lasers relieve pain and stimulate or enhance cell functions. Red light therapy includes low-power light wavelengths discharged through the skin. It does not cause pain because infrared or red light therapy for weight loss generates no heat.
- Furthermore, red light is absorbed into the skin at 8-10 millimeters in depth. It impacts cellular energy and impacts multiple metabolic processes and the nervous system.
How to Do: A high-quality red light therapy device like a Joovv uses medical-grade LEDs to deliver concentrated wavelengths of natural light to your skin and cells, without dangerous UV rays(2) or excess heat. All you have to do is sit or stand near a device for 10-15 minutes a day to charge your cells.
How Much To Do: Red Light Therapy for Weight Loss is a safe and non-invasive procedure, with no side-effects.
Red light therapy needs to be five times a week and not more, each session lasting for about 15 minutes. Within 8-12 weeks, you should see results.
[ Read: Cryotherapy for Weight Loss ]
Red light or infrared therapy, therefore, offers plenty of benefits for inducing weight loss. Consequently, it comes with a host of advantages. For non-invasive, pain-free, and even effortless methods of weight loss, light therapy works. However, infrared light therapy for weight loss should always be carried out under medical guidance. Consult your doctor to know if this may be a viable option for you.
1. Does red light therapy work on cellulite?
Red light therapy works on contouring and reduction of adipose or fat cells, thereby treating cellulite.
2. Does light therapy work for anti-aging?
Light therapy can stave off aging effects on the skin. It is FDA approved treatment for rejuvenating the skin.
3. Does red light therapy work for wrinkles?
Besides cosmetic body contouring and fat loss, red light therapy works to rejuvenate the skin and reduce wrinkles.