Detox is the latest buzzword that is taking people by a blow. You must have seen and heard people spending hefty amounts on detoxification of their body parts.
This detoxification is not limited to medications but is equally efficient when followed by natural therapies. Liver detox is amongst the topmost concerns of the health-conscious freak minds.
The liver is undoubtedly one of the most important organs of your body, and so it is crucial for you to pay special attention to its health.
In this article, you will get an in-depth knowledge about the term liver detox along with its merits, demerits, and health hazards
What does your liver do?
Before moving on to the concept of liver detox, let’s take a look at the vital functions your liver performs for your body.
The liver finds its place on the right side of your body, just below the rib cage. The liver is a natural detoxing agent of your body. It helps to process whatever you ingest including food, beverages, medicines, etc.
However, there are five chief functions of your liver, and they are:
- It produces bile juice and also aids in its excretion
- It is the principal organ that helps in the discharge of bilirubin, cholesterol, hormones, etc.
- It acts as a storage space for glycogen, vitamins, and minerals
- The liver acts as an aiding agent in the metabolism of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates
- Activation of enzymes in your body
What are the signs that reflect a problem in your liver?
It is vital for you to understand the primary symptoms of a liver issue before going for liver detox. If you can relate to any of the symptoms, then its time you consider for a liver detox after consultation from your doctor.
- Anxiety or depression
- Discolored urine
- In the case of jaundice- yellow eyes and urine
- Chronic fatigue
- Loss of appetite
- Excessive sweating
With the help of a thorough liver cleanse, you can get your liver function properly.
A Thoughtful Analysis of Liver Detox
As people say that big surprises come in small packages. This notion holds for liver in the best possible way. Your liver is amongst the busiest organs of your body as it has to perform nearly five hundred functions on a daily basis to keep you working effectively all day long.
The liver in itself aids your body in getting rid of toxins which makes it a natural detoxifier. If you have a healthy liver, you can detoxify anything and everything that you ingest.
Liver detox involves cleansing of the liver by adopting the below ways:
1. Removal of toxic foods from the routine diet
By eating a diet of processed foods including hydrogenated oils, snacks, refined sugar, etc. you pose a threat to your liver’s health.
These foods not only hamper your liver health but also leave an adverse effect on other vital organs of your body. The article explains you about six magical foods that will help you detox your liver naturally. The foods are:
- Apples (organic)
- Broccoli sprouts
- Fermented foods, including kefir, pickles, etc.
2. Take raw vegetable juices
Eating uncooked vegetables can be a cumbersome task as not all vegetables are good to eat in their natural state. It’s good to juice them out to make things favorable.
Vegetables in their juice form are quick to digest and also readily absorbed by your body. A few helpful vegetables for liver detox include:
- Green vegetables
These vegetables help to balance out the pH levels in your body. They are high in fiber content which aids in the elimination of toxins at a fast rate, and also it improves digestion.
3. Increase potassium levels in your body
A healthy body requires 4,700 milligrams of potassium on a daily basis. For a liver detox, it is advisable for you to ingest foods that are rich in potassium.
Potassium supplements are readily available in the market, but it is always good to go for the natural methods to cure a problem.
Some potassium-rich foods that will aid your liver detox process include:
- Sweet potatoes
- Tomato sauces
- Beans including white beans, kidney beans, lima beans, etc.
- Beet greens
- Blackstrap molasses
However, if the potassium content in your kidneys is high, then you should always ingest low levels of potassium-rich foods in your diet.
4. Take help of coffee enemas
You must have heard about using coffee in multiple ways, but do you know about the coffee enema. The antioxidants packed beverage drink works wonderfully in treating constipation and aiding in liver detoxification.
It helps in bowel movements and also increases the flow of bile juice. An increase in the level of bile juice gives a kick start to your gallbladder and liver. It is then when your body starts producing glutathione which helps to release toxins from your body.
For this you have to follow the given process:
- Take a pan
- Add two tablespoons of organic coffee (grounded) to three cups of distilled water
- Bring the solution to a boil
- Allow it to simmer for fifteen minutes
- Leave it to cool at room temperature
- Strain the mixture
- Now use it in your enema kit
- Retain the mixture 10-15 minutes before releasing
If enema has caused any complication in your past, do consult a doctor before using the coffee enema.
5. Take supplements for liver detox
The supplements that work tremendously well for a liver detox include:
Milk thistle supplement
This magical herb will help you immensely in getting rid of toxins from your liver. It removes the accumulation of heavy metals, pollutants from the environment, alcohol, etc. from the liver.
It helps to reduce the effects of chemotherapy and radiation on the liver. The silymarin element helps in regeneration of cell walls in the liver.
Turmeric marks a strong presence in the culinary world. The excellent herb and spice foster healthy liver metabolism. It thus becomes a crucial liver detoxifier agent.
You can purchase liver tablets or beef liver tablets from the market. If you don’t want to eat tablets you can eat cattle or chicken liver. Make sure you are eating the liver of young, healthy, and grass-fed cattle for best results.
DIY Liver Detox Healthy Drinks
Sip on some Chamomile Tea
A cup of chamomile tea is full of anti-oxidants which help in detoxifying your liver naturally. The tea is easy to digest and also helps to release stress.
How to use?
- In a small pan add a cup of water and bring it to a boil
- To this add a few chamomile flowers
- Simmer it for few minutes
- Strain the solution
- Allow it to cool a bit and drink
Drink Lemon water
How to use?
- Put a small pan on flame and add a glass of water to this
- Allow it to boil
- Now squeeze the juice of half a lemon into the water
- Mix well and drink before going to bed during the night
Enjoy a Fruit drink
How to use?
- Take one cup of cranberry juice and dilute it with three cups of water
- Add a pinch of ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon into a tea infuser
- Allow it to steep in the simmering water for around twenty minutes
- Cool it at room temperature
- To this add juice of oranges and lemons
- Add a natural sweetener if the drink is too tart in taste
A Note on Caution for Liver Detox
Specific potential health issues arise with liver detox. These include:
- Dehydration in the body
- Sometimes people overuse or overdo with the ingredients of the liver detox which in turn makes them prone to adverse health conditions like weakness or coma
- Blockages in the ducts and canals owing to gallstones can be a reason for this
- Allergies often surface during a liver detox as you might not be used to the consumption of certain ingredients
Can a liver detox work for a healthy liver?
In the present world, people are so busy in their lives that they fail to understand the importance of having a healthy body. The liver is one of the largest organs in the human body. There is a misconception amongst people that by undergoing a liver detox, they can remove toxins from their body in an improved manner.
However, the reality is just the opposite. No crucial proofs support this fact that liver detox is correct for your health. Instead, by indulging in a liver detox, you have to follow a strict diet or heavy medication which does more bad than good to your body.
Experts say that the only way liver detoxes help your body is that they force you to avoid highly processed foods containing fats andsugars. Also, there are no proofs that these cleanses help you to get away with toxins and improve your liver health.
Liver diseases are also not in the parlance of liver detox, and so it doesn’t aid in helping you get away with the liver diseases.
Other Ways to get a Healthy Liver
The below ways can help you improve your liver health immensely.
- Avoid or reduce alcohol intake
- Drinking sufficient water
- By keeping a check on heavy medications
- Getting proper vaccination for liver diseases
- Avoid coming in contact with hazardous chemicals
- Indulging in safe sexual intercourse
The liver is a crucial part of your body, and an infected liver can undoubtedly pose a threat to your life.
After reading this article, you are now well aware of the benefits and side-effects of liver detox efficiently. Liver detox is an easy way to keep your liver healthy and proper functioning for your entire lifetime.
By avoiding the use of certain foods and restricting yourself to liver-healthy foods can keep this organ in a working state. Natural remedies are always beneficial for your body as they do not pose any significant threat to your body.
It is advisable to consult a doctor to avoid any adverse effect on your body before indulging in liver detox. So, now you can quickly employ the liver detox routine in the article and enhance the health of your liver.