Hormones are considered to be chemical signals that are secreted by endocrinal glands directly into the blood stream to convey biochemical instructions to various organs and tissues. They regulate every function of the body from reproduction to metabolism.
Even a tiny little imbalance in the secretion of hormones can cascade out a chain of serious effects throughout the body. As such it is extremely essential to maintain hormonal balance for general health and well being. So, how to balance hormones naturally? For this, we need to understand the root causes of it.
What are causes of hormonal imbalance?
Below enlisted are some of the hormonal imbalance causes.
What are the symptoms of hormonal imbalance?
A few generic hormonal imbalance symptoms are given below
• Stress and anxiety
• Infertility issues
• Irregularity of periods
• Low levels of libido
• Digestive issues
• Alteration in appetite
• Menarche and Menopause(2)
• Unexpected and drastic change in body weight
• Sore and tenderness of breasts in women
15 Natural Remedies for Hormonal Imbalance:
The imbalance in the level of hormones can be taken care of using natural and organic ingredients. Follow the natural ways to balance hormones as described below.
1. Coconut Oil:
• Take two tablespoons of coconut oil directly twice or thrice on a daily basis.
• Alternatively, mix the coconut oil with a plate of fresh salad and eat it.
Coconut oil is rich in medium chain fatty acids that help to combat inflammation induced by hormonal imbalance.
The oil boosts the metabolic rate, lowers stress and is highly beneficial for health.
2. Food Rich in Omega 3 Fatty Acid:
Wondering how to regulate hormones naturally with food? Well, it can be attained by having food rich in omega 3 fatty acid. Omega 3 fatty acid is responsible for the generation of hormones.
This nutrient is highly beneficial for balancing the secretion of hormones besides being a natural pain-killer for menstrual cramps. This fatty acid aids in the creation of responsive and healthy cellular membranes to enable firm adherence of the hormones to the cells.
It is the responsibility of omega 3 fatty acid to ensure that the receptor sites of every cell are working in optimized conditions.
• The food items that are rich in omega 3 fatty acids include flax seeds, olive oil, walnuts, chia seeds, squash, soya bean, oily fish and more.
• Incorporate these food items into your daily diet to balance the flow of hormones in your body.
Avocado is one of the most effective amongst the natural supplements for hormone imbalance.
• Peel an avocado.
• Chop the peeled avocado into cubes and make your favorite plate of salad with it.
• You may also blend the chopped cubes of avocado with a little honey and milk to prepare a glass of tasty avocado smoothie.
Eat this daily to cure the hormonal imbalance.
Ashwagandha is highly effective in curing hormonal imbalance. It relieves anxiety and stress which are the main causes that trigger off hormonal imbalance.
Ashwagandha also helps in balancing the thyroid hormones in our body by stimulating the thyroid gland into balanced action.
• Take 300-500 grams of Ashwagandha(3) supplements in 3 times a day on a daily basis.
5. Essential Oils for Hormonal imbalance:
How to treat hormonal imbalance with essential oils? You can use the essential oils for a gentle massage or diffuse the oil’s essence in the atmosphere of your room using a vaporizer to feel tranquilized which in turn will cure the hormonal imbalance.
a) Clary sage oil-
• Diffuse the Clary sage oil using a vaporizer.
• Alternatively, add a few drops of Clary sage oil to 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and massage your stomach, neck, and soles of feet with the mixture of oils.
b) Fennel oil-
• Take a glass of water and add a drop of fennel oil to it.
• Drink the water after a little stirring.
• Massage your stomach and the soles of your feet with a few drops of fennel oil.
c) Frankincense Oil-
• Take a tablespoon of coconut oil in a dish and add 3-4 drops of frankincense oil to it.
• Mix the oils and then apply this mixture to the points of thyroid acupressure with gentle massaging for a few minutes.
• Alternatively, you may also take two drops of edible frankincense(4) oil on an empty stomach every morning.
• Do this daily until the hormonal imbalance is cured.
6. Black Walnuts:
Extract of black walnut is rich in iodine, magnesium, selenium, vitamin B complex and C. It promotes digestion, metabolism and helps to combat the symptoms of hormonal imbalance.
• Add 2-3 drops of extracts of black walnut to a glass of water.
• Stir the solution till the juice gets dissolved.
• Drink this solution thrice daily until the hormonal imbalance gets completely cured.
7. Physical Exercise:
Exercising regularly is one of the best natural remedies for hormonal imbalance in females.
• Regular physical activities help to beat stress and anxiety which are the main factors responsible for hormonal imbalance.
• It improves the quality of sleep, reduces inflammation of brain cells, boosts self-confidence and self-esteem, enhances physical energy and power and gets rid of anxiety and tension.
• Physical exercises like tai chi and yoga promote health and induce relaxation.
• Techniques of deep breathing and inhalation relieve muscular tension and help in reduction of mental strain.
• Daily meditation for about ten minutes each after waking up and before going to bed goes a long way in significant reduction of anxiety attacks and helps you fight against general mental health disorders and issues.
• Physical activities like taking long walks in the evening or jogging in the morning helps to combat stress and general exhaustion and rejuvenates the mind.
Ginger is richly loaded with magnesium, potassium and a polyphenol named gingerol. Ginger is anti-inflammatory in nature that makes it highly effective in curing hormonal imbalance.
• Take an inch slice of ginger and add it to a cup of boiling water.
• Let the concoction boil for 5 to 10 minutes.
• Let the ginger solution cool down.
• Strain out the liquid after it simmers down and add a teaspoon of honey to it.
• Drink a cup of ginger tea sweetened with honey thrice daily.
Alternatively, you may also chew on tiny bits of ginger to cure hypothyroidism.
9. Maca Roots:
Maca roots are rich in healthy unsaturated fatty acids(5) like oleic acids and linoleic acid, proteins and minerals like manganese, iron, calcium, zinc, potassium and copper.
It is rich in 18 different varieties of amino acids and is a rich source of fiber, nutrition and sterols, which are essential for physical energy, hormonal balance and vitality.
Maca roots in gelatinized form are highly effective in combating hormonal imbalance in early-postmenopausal females. It is even known to cure hypothyroidism, a hormonal disease.
• Take 1/4th a teaspoon of powdered maca roots in a cup. Add some water to it to fill the cup.
• Stir well until the powder dissolves.
• Drink this daily by incrementing the amount of the powder by a teaspoon or two.
• Take this for a few months or so until the hormonal imbalance gets cured.
10. Chaste Berries:
Chaste berries are an important solution to how to cure hormonal imbalance in menstruation. They make an excellent tonic for combating hormonal imbalance in women.
The berries are highly effective in curing gynecological(6) issues and are considered to control ovulation and enhance fertility. The properties of a chaste berry resemble those of dopamine, a neurotransmitter that induces physical energy and verve.
This enables chaste berries to inhibit the action of prolactin, a hormone that is linked with soreness of breasts in women and other symptoms of the pre-menstrual phase. It is even known to regulate the effects of the hormone progesterone.
• This herb can be taken in the form of tinctures in a dosage as directed by the physician.
• Chaste berries are also available in capsules of 400-500mg that can be taken for a few months to cure hormonal imbalance.
Flaxseeds are rich in alpha-linolenic acid(7) which is an omega 3 fatty acid that stimulates the secretion of thyroxine hormone.
Flaxseeds also contain vitamin B12 and magnesium that restores body functioning and combats all the indicators of hormonal imbalance hence making it one of the best hormonal imbalance treatment home remedies.
Do not take more than two tablespoons of flaxseeds on a daily basis.
• Add a tablespoon of powdered flaxseeds to a glass of warm milk.
• Stir well until the powder gets dissolved in the milk and then drink it up.
• Drink this twice daily until the hormonal imbalance gets cured.
12. Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar detoxifies and restores the alkaline balance of your body. It even helps to regulate the hormonal levels and the basal metabolic rate of the body.
• Add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar(8) to a glass of lukewarm water.
• Drink this once a day daily for a few weeks or months until the hormonal imbalance gets cured.
Hormones control all the physiological processes of the body. Sometimes these hormones get excessively secreted by the endocrine glands(9) or stop getting secreted at all. The yoga poses that can stimulate the glands to secrete hormones and function optimally are enlisted below.
a) Rabbit pose (Sasangasana)
b) Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
c) Camel Pose (Ustrasana)
14. Black Cohosh:
Black cohosh is a perfect answer to how to cure imbalance in females? It helps to control the balance of hormones in the body and combats the symptoms of menopause in women.
This herb functions the way estrogen does and relieves the body of hot flashes. It also cures inflammation triggered by hormonal imbalance, regulates menstruation, relaxes the muscles of the uterus and soothes menstrual cramps.
• This is not a remedy for patients of high blood pressure.
• For hormonal balance caused by menopause take 20-40 mg dosage of black cohosh tablets twice a day as directed by the doctor until the hormonal balance gets restored.
This is a non-phytoestrogenic herb(10) that regulates the functioning of the pituitary gland in the brain in the production of estrogen.
It lowers stress levels, burns excessive fat(11), sharpens the memory, enhances energy level and combats against mood swings induced by hormonal imbalance.
• Chop 5 grams of Rhodiola root(12).
• Add the chopped roots to a cup of boiling water.
• Steep the mixture for about 4 hours.
• Strain out the liquid.
• Drink 1/5th of a cup thrice a day.
• You may add a teaspoon of honey to the tea.
1. Is hormonal imbalance dangerous?
Since hormones control every physiological process in the body, their imbalance can be dangerous for health but certainly not fatal if treated with proper care.
2. Is hormonal imbalance genetic?
Hormonal imbalance is genetic in a few cases but can be medically cured as well.
3. Can hormonal imbalance affect pregnancy?
The two main effects that hormonal imbalance have on pregnancy include ovulatory dysfunction and polycystic ovary syndrome. Both of these result in a decrease in the timekeeping of ovulation and infertility.