Is lavender essential oil good for hair growth? Using lavender oil for hair growth treatment can be highly effective — the low oil conditions your hair. As a result, the hair becomes strong.
Moreover, it also increases the thickness of the hair. Such hair does not fall quick and can grow to increased lengths.
At the same time, lavender oil can improve the condition of your scalp. It may even help to reduce issues like baldness and alopecia. These issues combine to reduce hair fall and promote growth.
Lavender oil is also antimicrobial. As a result, it prevents bacterial and fungus from accumulating on the scalp. These microbes can reduce hair growth.
Did you know that hair is the second fasted growing tissue in the body after bone marrow?
Despite its benefits, lavender is still not approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)?
At the same time, it helps to soothe an itchy scalp and dandruff issues. This promotes the growth rate of your hair. An additional benefit it that using lavender essential oil for hair growth can kill hair lice.
As a result, it improves hair health even further. The resulting improved blood flow can promote hair growth. It also reduces scalp inflammation, which promotes hair growth. It may affect the morphology of the scalp positively too(1).
[Also Read: Lavender Oil for Hair Problems ]
Lavender Oil for Hair Growth Recipe
There are multiple ways lavender oil can be used for hair growth treatment. You may use it to massage your scalp. For this purpose, use the following method.
- Dilute the lavender essential oil with a carrier oil. The direct application of lavender essential oil can cause skin irritation and inflammation. You may use any carrier oil. Using lavender oil and castor oil for hair growth is a great choice. Apart from that, jojoba or coconut oil may also be used. You may use equal parts of essential and carrier oil.
- First, take a bath or shower. Damp hair is the best for massage as the water content is retained and keeps the hair hydrated — massage for almost five to ten minutes.
- After the massage, rinse the oil out. For rinsing out thoroughly, you may use warm water.
- You may leave the oil overnight.
- It is best to wrap your hair with a towel if you plan to leave the oil on your head overnight.
- Oil massages are recommended between once a week to once a day as per requirements.
The lavender essential oil can also be added to your regular hair products. You may add lavender essential oil to your regular shampoo or hair conditioner.
However, do not add a substantial amount. You may put almost five drops per ounce of the product you are going to mix the oil. The oil can be poured in the lid.
After closing the lid, shake the product thoroughly to ensure that the oil is evenly spread across the continent. You may add a few drops directly on your palm with the hair product on it before applying.
At the same time, there are ready-made products in the market that have lavender oil extracts in them. If you opt for these products, ensure that you check the ingredients. Sometimes, the products claim to have lavender oil extracts, but that is not the case in reality.
[Also Read: Coconut Oil for Hair Growth]
You may use lavender essential oil as a hair serum too. Again, you may quickly find ready-made serums to help you in the treatment.
Lavender oil can also be used for making a proper hair mask. For this purpose, you may follow the given recipe.
- Mix lavender and rosemary oil together. You may use Melaleuca A and Copaiba oil too.
- After mixing the ingredients, rub them on the most affected areas.
- Leave the oil for almost an hour.
- Rinse the mask out with warm water.
You may opt for making a home shampoo too. For this purpose, you may use coconut milk, liquid castile soap, and lavender oil.
However, there are some side effects of using lavender oil. Lavender oil may result in nausea and vomiting. It may also result in toxic effects if taken in a very high quantity.
[Also read: Treat Frizzy Hair with Hair Masks]
It is best to consult your doctor before starting any regular treatment. If there is itchiness in the scalp, consultation is recommended before commencing the remedy(2).
Lavender extracts provide an excellent natural remedy for hair growth treatment being an essential oil. The solution is easy to use. At the same time, the adverse effects of over-the-counter medicines are also reduced by utilizing this remedy.
If the proper dosage is taken and the treatment is administered correctly, it can be the natural treatment for your hair. You may consult your hairstylist for more information about which remedy application suits you the best.
1. Can I Mix Lavender Oil with Other Essential Oils
Incorporating lavender oil with other essential oils can boost the effects of the remedy. It can also provide great aromatherapy for your scalp.
2. Can Lavender Oil Be Harmful?
Excess usage of lavender oil may be harmful. It is not recommended to apply lavender oil on babies directly. It must be diluted before application.
3. How Many Times Should I Massage My Scalp Every Week?
You are massaging your scalp between once a day and once a week is excellent as it provides benefits to your hair. The exact amount of massages for your particular hair can be confirmed by your physician.