Copaiba oil is obtained from trees copaiba tree. The 70 varieties of this tree are found in South and Central America. Copaiba oil uses are for a variety of purposes.
The Journal of Ethnopharmacology has published that Copaiba oil has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. Let’s read more about the copaiba oil benefits and how to use it.
- Copaiba essential oil contains beta-caryophyllene. This molecule interacts with the skin with its cannabinoid receptors, and work as anti-inflammatory agents.
- Copaiba essential oil consists of terpenes that are hydrocarbons that affects the body’s functioning.
- This oil is often referred to as copaiba balsam essential oil.
What are the Benefits of Copaiba Oil?
1. Treat Arthritis
It is anti-inflammatory, and due to this, it can treat a lot of diseases soon. A study conducted in 2014 studied the effects of copaiba oil in mouses who suffered from multiple sclerosis(1).
The study revealed two things
- It lowered the production of molecules that are linked to inflammation
- It also lowered oxygen radicals that led to cell damage.
Another study focused on the effects of copaiba essential oil uses for tongue injury. The copaiba oil-resin was used to treat the tongue tissues of the rats, and it showed a lesser presence of immune cells that were associated with inflammation.
[ Read: Essential Oils For Arthritis ]
2. Pain Reduction
A study conducted in 2018 compared deep blue essential oil and copaiba oil for massage in treating arthritis. It was found that Copaiba essential oil was more efficient in reducing the symptoms of pain caused due to arthritis, increased finger strength, and improved finger dexterity. Copaiba oil for pain has been proven to be very useful in various studies.
3. Copaiba Oil Benefits for Leishmaniasis
In 2011 a study showed the effects of copaiba oil-resin in rats suffering from this disease. The lesion size reduced after oral-topical treatment.
Leishmaniasis is a condition where ulcers and lesions are formed on the skin due to a sandfly bite. Parasites are belonging to genus Leishmania cause this condition of the skin. There is plenty of copaiba oil uses for skin troubles.
4. Copaiba Oil for Anxiety
Copaiba oil benefits people who are suffering from depression or anxiety(2). When used as an oil for aromatherapy, it has been known to improve and lighten the mood. It has a pleasant smell that relaxes your mind, and the scent has subtle effects on the hormonal balance that can brighten your day and mood.
[ Read: Essential Oils for Anxiety ]
5. Copaiba Oil for Fungal Infections
Copaiba oil benefits in treating fungal diseases as it has anti-fungal properties. It has unique terpene features that have anti-fungal agents. In diseases like nail fungus, athlete’s foot just applying some of this oil speeds the healing process and protects infections.
6. Copaiba Oil Benefits for Dental Health
The Open Dentistry Journal in 2016 published that copaiba essential oil gel was effective against Streptococcus. It is a natural and alternative method for oral care. It has antimicrobial properties that make it the best alternative remedy to maintain dental health.
How to Use Copaiba Oil
- You can use it topically to heal wounds, reduce pain, and treat inflammation.
- Always ensure that copaiba oil is diluted with any other carrier oil.
- It can also be used as an oil for aromatherapy, massage oil, cream, or compress.
Precautions to be Followed
- One must precaution that must always be considered to never use it raw for topical application. Diluting it is a must.
- Consuming a high dose of copaiba oil can cause an upset stomach, diarrhea, and nausea.
- Before using this oil for aromatherapy, you must make sure it is safe for pets and babies around you if any.
- Do not use copaiba oil if you are pregnant or breastfeeding without consulting your doctor.
The essential oil and copaiba resin are all extracted from the Copaiba tree. It has been a part of traditional medicine as it has antiseptic properties. Always buy essential oils from a trusted place that is chemical-free and is derived from copaiba oleoresin.
[ Read: Tea Tree Oil Benefits ]
1. What is the essential oil that goes best with Copaiba Essential oil?
This oil blends best with jasmine, sandalwood, vanilla, and ylang-ylang oils. Add five drops of Copaiba essential oil to 10 drops of any carrier oil for the best results.
2. Is CBD a part of Copaiba oil?
Copaiba comes from the Copaifera tree and is not similar to CBD oil. CBD are chemical compounds and stand for Cannabidiol that is present in the cannabis plant.