Itch scalp is truly annoying. It can embarrass you in front of everyone. Imagine when you are in the middle of a meeting placing across your point, and there is a sudden urge to itch. It is hard to resist your hand from reaching the scalp; moreover, the distraction caused can cost you heavily.
So what to do, especially in summers when the trouble manifolds? Instead of trying those chemical products that do more harm than good, seek some simple itchy scalp remedies at home. These natural remedies give you relief from the itchy scalp in no time.
Itchy Scalp Causes
Itchy scalp or Scalp pruritus is a common skin condition which may be caused due to some factors. Some of the reasons for itchy scalp are
- Seborrheic dermatitis
- Autoimmune disorders
- Fungal infections
- Head lice
- Allergic reaction
- Atopic dermatitis
How to Get Rid of Itchy Scalp Naturally?
An itchy scalp may be due to numerous reasons. It may be dandruff, dryness or an infection. You may also get an itchy scalp after hair color. Here you get a list of some simple and effective itchy scalp remedies that you can try at home. These are known to give quick results but before you try any of them, know the exact reason for the itchiness caused on the scalp to cure it effectively. Below are the remedies for how to get rid of itchy scalp.
1. Foods That Can Help Get Rid of Itchy Scalp
Have got red, inflamed scalp which is causing a lot of irritation and itching? Get rid of it quickly with lemon. It is an excellent remedy for treating red itchy scalp.
How to use?
- Take a lemon and squeeze out its juice
- Apply the lemon juice on the scalp with a cotton ball
- Leave it on the scalp for around ten minutes
- After that, wash it off
- You can repeat use lemon juice on hair two times a week
Benefits of lemon
Lemon is highly acidic and contains strong antimicrobial properties that can treat the itchiness caused due to fungal infection. Further, the phytochemicals present in it soothe the redness and inflammation of the scalp owing to their anti-inflammatory properties.
Please note that lemon has bleaching properties. Excessive use of lemon on the hair can lighten its color.
Foods to eat
A dry, itchy scalp can be due to an improper diet. You can get rid of it by including the following foods:
- Foods which are rich in omega-3 fatty acids (1)like tuna, salmon, etc.
- Have foods which are rich in vitamin A, Vitamin B and Vitamin C like green leafy vegetables, dairy products, berries, etc.
- Foods were rich in Zinc like poultry, seafood, etc.
Foods to avoid
Fermented foods and foods high in sugar and refined carbohydrates are known to cause various skin troubles. These also contribute to burning itchy scalp and hair loss. If you wish to evade the itchy scalp trouble, then avoid eating the following
- Dried fruits
- Soy sauce
2. Herbal Treatments for Itchy Scalp
Those who have itchy scalp and neck can only understand what amount of will it takes to concentrate on the task in hand and not get distracted. It is not easy. But why should you suffer? Get relieved of the dry, itchy scalp with aloe vera(2). It is one of the best itchy scalp remedies.
How to use?
- Cut an aloe vera leaf
- Extract the fresh aloe vera gel from the leaf
- Apply the gel directly on the scalp
- Leave it for ten to twenty minutes
- After that wash the hair with lukewarm water
- You can use this aloe vera gel remedy two times a week
Benefits of Aloe Vera
Those looking for how to cure dandruff and itchy scalp must try using aloe vera gel, they would get visible results. Aloe vera, being a natural moisturizer nourishes the scalp. Its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties ease the itchiness and fight the fungal infection if any.
Use freshly extracted aloe vera gel only. The store-bought gels might contain chemicals that may not suit your scalp. Further, they might not provide you with adequate results.
[Read: Epsom Salt Benefits For Hair]
3. Use Essential Oils to Treat Itchy Scalp
Tea Tree Oil
Essential oils are potent plant extracts known to treat various health conditions. These are also good for your skin and health. One such oil which finds numerous uses and can work effectively to heal multiple issues related to the itchy scalp is tea tree oil(3). The potent properties of the oil can treat itchy bumps on the scalp quickly.
How to use?
- Take five to six drops of tea tree oil
- Apply it on your itchy scalp at night
- Massage it for a few minutes
- Leave it overnight
- Wash it off the next morning
- Do this two times a week
Benefits of Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree Oil is known to contain strong antibacterial and antifungal properties that effectively treat the infection caused on the scalp which is one of the prime reasons for itchiness. The oil also moisturizes the scalp and nourishes it, eliminating the dryness. Tea tree oil is one of the best itchy scalp remedies that you must try.
Tea Tree Oil is quite potent. If you have sensitive skin, then dilute the tea tree oil with a carrier oil like coconut oil and then apply it on your scalp.
4. Itchy Scalp Remedies With At Home Relief
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar is a common kitchen ingredient with numerous uses. It can effectively treat various skin conditions including the itchy scalp. If you are looking for how to get rid of itchy scalp quickly at home, then try using apple cider vinegar.
How to use?
- Mix apple cider vinegar in water in the ratio 1:4
- Apply the mixture on the scalp and massage it thoroughly
- Leave it for some time and wash off with plain water
- Repeat this two times a week
[Read: Remedies to Get Rid of Dry Scalp ]
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar has strong astringent properties that cleanse the scalp and soothe it. The malic acid present in it has antifungal properties that fight off the infection. It also helps in the removal of the dead skin cells that are a common cause of itchiness. Application of apple cider vinegar further restores the pH of your scalp easing inflammation.
Apple cider vinegar is highly acidic hence you must use it on your scalp in diluted form only.
5. Natural Treatments for Curing Itchy Scalp
Is your child’s itchy scalp your constant source of worry? Kids’ itchy scalp can be effectively treated with this baking soda remedy. Baking soda clears itchy scalp bumps and eases the inflammation.
How to use?
- Take a bowl
- Add to it two to three tablespoons of baking soda and water
- Mix the ingredients to make a thick paste
- Apply the paste on the scalp
- Let it stay for around 15 minutes and after that shampoo your hair
- You can repeat it after a few days
Benefits of baking soda
Baking soda has strong antifungal and antimicrobial properties. Application of baking soda on the scalp kills the microbes present on the scalp that cause infection and itchiness. It also helps in restoring the pH level of the scalp.
You must not overdo this baking soda treatment as repeated use of it can cause dryness of the scalp further damaging it.
How to Prevent Itchy Scalp?
Following tips can help prevent itchy scalp:
- Avoid using harsh chemical products. Use mild shampoos and conditioners. Baby shampoos are excellent for your hair, these clean the scalp without damaging it.
- Do not wash your hair with hot water. It rips off the moisture. Always wash your hair with cold or lukewarm water.
- Do not shampoo often.
- Keep yourself hydrated.
- Use less of hair styling products. They excessively damage your hair.
- Do not share your combs and hair brushes with others.
Itchy scalp is a common condition, but the factors that cause it may vary from person to person. Hence it necessary to know your scalp and hair before opting for any treatment. The foremost thing to prevent itchiness is to keep your scalp clean. Pollution and sweating cause itchy scalp. Besides it, infection and nutrient deficiency may also result in itchiness and inflammation.
Instead of trying the expensive chemical products that give negligible results, seek the itchy scalp remedies mentioned above. These not only relieve you of the itchiness but also strengthen and nourish your hair.