Our hair is our pride and joy. Beautiful and healthy hair is your crowning glory. It is an indicator of good health and well-being. And what all does the hair endure for you? It takes in the hairspray, the highlights, the chemical shampoos, and the killing hair knots! Your hair is dry and frizzy. It lacks luster, it looks dead, and you have hair fall. Are you worried? Don’t be! Coconut oil for hair is a natural solution to all your hair problems.
- Types, Causes, Symptoms of Hair Problems
- Types of Coconut Oil
- Usage of Coconut Oil for Hair
- DIY Recipes
Types of hair problems
- Curly hair that is unmanageable
- Dry and dead hair that looks terrible
- Hair fall
- Dandruff and flaky scalp
- Split ends
Causes of hair problems
- Medical reasons like Thyroid disease, alopecia areata, any autoimmune disease
- Infections in your scalp like ringworm, or scarring of the scalp due to conditions like Lichen planus.
- Hormonal changes in your body
Symptoms of hair problems
- Gradual hair thinning on the top of your head which leads to receding hairlines.
- Patches of bald spots that you hide with different hairdos.
- Shedding of hair
- Other symptoms are anaemia, stress or rapid weight loss.
Coconut Oil for hair growth
Coconut oil contains Lauric acid which is present in breast milk, and it promotes hormonal health and cellular health(1). It contains specific fatty acids called medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs) and is high in C12 chain of medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs), which is Lauric acid. It adds antibacterial and antimicrobial properties to it, which acts as a nourishing agent.
Coconut oil has many beneficial properties, especially for hair and skin. You can eat it or apply it. The natural oil is gaining fame quickly for how effective it is.
Types of coconut oil
There are different types of coconut oil that can be used for a variety of hair problems. The most popular variations of coconut oil are: –
1. Organic coconut oil
This oil is the more nutritious type as compared to the non-organic coconut oil which can prove to be harmful. Organic coconut oil comes from coconuts that grow without the use of chemicals and pesticides. To differentiate organic coconut oil from mineral coconut oil, you have to check for a ‘USDA Organic’ label on the packaging. Health experts claim it is the healthier option among coconut oils.
2. Refined and Unrefined coconut oil
Coconut oil is suitable for cooking. That is where refined coconut oil comes in. Refined coconut oil is processed,whereas unrefined coconut oil is not processed. The processing increases the smoke point, removes the taste from the oil and makes it suitable for cooking. But one thing to make sure of is checking how the oil was processed. If it was prepared using chemicals, then it is harmful, but if it is processed using heat, gravity or friction, you are good to go!
3. Virgin and Extra Virgin coconut oil
Yes, coconut oil has virgin and extra virgin options, much like olive oil. This gives you options to choose from, but there isn’t a big difference between extra virgin and virgin coconut oil, so choose the one that is to your liking.
4. Centrifuge Extracted Coconut Oil
The raw and nutritious oil is extracted by use of centrifugal force. The oil is all natural and ready for consumption without fear of harmful side effects. But since it is so nutritious, it is also a little expensive as compared to the other types.
5. Expeller-Pressed Coconut oil
This type of coconut oil is obtained by a mechanical extraction process, which doesn’t use any chemicals or solvents. It adds to the flavour of the oil and also increases the smoke point, making Expeller-Pressed Coconut oil suitable for cooking.
6. Cold Pressed Coconut oil
Cold Pressed Coconut oil comes from dried coconut flakes stored at a low temperature. The oil is filled with flavour but is more expensive than the other types.
[ Read: 10 Essential Oils for Hair That You Need ]
Why use Coconut oil for hair growth?
This question can only be answered by stating the many uses of coconut oil for healthy hair. Coconut oil seeps into hair follicles and stimulates hair growth. It strengthens hair strands from the root. It also promotes scalp health and fights lice infestations and dandruff. Coconut oil also moisturizes dry hair. It adds lustre, shine and smoothness to your unmanageable, curly hair. It also slows down hair loss, and repairs damaged hair by fixing split hair.
Many people consider organic coconut oil as the best coconut oil for hair growth.
There are many other uses of coconut oil for hair, here a few:
- Coconut oil protects your skin and hair from the harmful Ultraviolet rays of the sun. Studies prove that it blocks out 20% of rays.
- Coconut oil is excellent for brain function, increases metabolism, relieves skin and eczema, fights infections and increases your HDL Cholesterol, reduces protein loss, among other uses.
How to use Coconut oil for hair?
There are many ways to use coconut oil for hair problems.
1. For hair conditioning
Coconut oil seeps into the hair follicles and strengthens the hair from within, it works fast and gives rapid and significant results. It works faster than any other conditioners as it has smaller chain fatty acids which repairs damaged hair and fixes split hair. It moisturises your hair and scalp and also gives your hair a natural glow.
Take a scoop of organic virgin coconut oil and heat it to turn it into its liquid form. Wash your hair and dry it, then apply the coconut oil by running your hand through the scalp and gently massaging. Then apply the oil to the length of your hair. Let it stay for an hour or two. Do not rush the process. The longer the oil stays, the better for your hair. Then wash your hair and reapply coconut oil to your tips if wanted.
[ Read: Coconut Oil for Dry Scalp ]
2. Let’s detangle that mess!
People with curly or thick hair always fund brushing it a dreadful task. No more though. Take a scoop of organic virgin coconut oil and heat it to turn it into its liquid form. Then apply it to your hair tips, run your brush from the root of the hair and work your way down. It will help you detangle your hair and make your preferable hairdo.
3. Fight Dandruff!
Extra usage of chemical-filled shampoos and hair products often leaves flaky residue on your scalp called dandruff. Fight this dandruff by applying coconut oil to your hair(1). Take a scoop of organic virgin coconut oil and heat it to turn it into its liquid form. After taking a shower, dry your hair, now apply the coconut oil to your hair and wrap it with a paper towel, this would lock in the body heat and let your hair take in the oil and moisturize it.
4. As a base for your hair colour
Take a scoop of organic virgin coconut oil and heat it to turn it into its liquid form. Now add this as a base to your hair colour and apply it, this would minimise any hair damage that the colour might inflict.
5. For hair growth
Coconut oil is excellent for hair growth! It unclogs the hair follicles and removes the sebum build up. Wash your hair and condition it as you usually do. Then take a scoop of organic virgin coconut oil and heat it to turn it into its liquid form. Dry your hair and run a brush through them to detangle it. Apply the oil to your hair and scalp and gently massage it. Wrap a towel around it to lock in the body heat and let it stay overnight. Follow this process daily for best results.
It promotes hair growth, prevents damage. Also applying coconut oil to your hair before exposure to the sun protects your hair from the UV rays damage. It is also helpful to enhance healthy eyelashes and fuller eyebrows. It is also a great alternative to shaving cream, and it moisturizes your skin too. Isn’t that great?
Dos and Don’ts
You have to take a few precautions before using coconut oil.
- Visit your health expert -Coconut oil seeps into your hair shafts and can act as a temporary solution to a more significant problem, so check with your health expert to see what the real problem for your dead hair is.
- Also, hair needs moisture. Oil repels water, so don’t leave the oil on for too long as it would act counter-productively leaving your hair thirsty.
DIY Recipes to try at Home!
There are many DIY recipes you can try at home to fix hair damage.
Here are a few recipes you can try in the comfort of your home:
- Add three tablespoons of pure Fiji exotic oil, one tablespoon of organic virgin coconut oil, one egg and a tablespoon of honey. Apply the mixture to your hair and gently massage it through the scalp. Leave it for an hour or two and wash your hair. Do this for a few months. You will have lustrous, shiny, healthy hair!
- Take a tablespoon of organic virgin coconut oil and a tablespoon of lemon juice. Apply the mask to your hair and gently massage it through the scalp. Leave it for fifteen minutes and wash your hair. Let your hair dry on its own, and see coconut oil work magic for your dandruff.
Your crowning glory now has a new friend – Coconut oil. As a natural remedy, Coconut oil for hair has proven to have many benefits and almost no side effects(2). Now that you know how to use it discover the secret to good hair health with coconut oil.