PMS means “premenstrual syndrome.” This syndrome occurs to women before 1 or 2 weeks of their start of the menstrual cycle(1). It can include various issues like PMS irritability, PMS fatigue, PMS mood swings, etc. The symptoms of PMS are generally seen as acne, bloating, feeling tired, etc.
At this time, it is best to look into things which interest you and makes you happy, as menstrual pain is a phenomenon which will never make you happy and one can try to avoid this syndrome by doing activities which they like. In order to manage this condition effectively, you must try essential oils for PMS, as these natural oils offer significant relief.
Causes and Symptoms
The cause of this syndrome is mysterious, but some researchers say that it is related to changes in sex hormones and serotonin levels at the start of the menstrual cycle(2).
There are many risk factors associated with it, some it can be-
- Physical trauma
- Emotional trauma
- Substance abuse
Some other symptoms which are seen during this condition are-
- Abdominal pain
- Sore breasts
- Food craving
- Sensitivity to light and sound
- Change in sleep patterns
PMS can be resolved at home by some of the ways like
- Having a balanced diet to keep your energy level and overall health at par, you can also have a lot of fruits as it is very beneficial
- Taking vitamin D to reduce the symptoms, which means going for the sun at maximum times!
Essential oils which are used for aromatherapy, cosmetics, skin therapy can be a perfect solution for PMS, and they can work wonders to reduce the PMS cramps and other physical changes in the body.
Recommended Read: Essential Oils for Menstrual Cramps
How do Essential Oils Benefit for PMS?
Women often take medicines to ease their pain during PMS or menstruation; the essential oil is a first-class solution to get away from these medicines and naturally treat the body, the above essential oils for PMS are the best ones to get away from stress and relax the body. It can be used in a variety of ways like aromatherapy, ingestion, etc.
The essential oils mostly don’t have side effects and are better than medicines.
What Essential Oils are Good for PMS?
1. Clary Sage Essential Oil for PMS
This name itself sounds mystical, it is the very first oil which can reach your brain to reduce the stress levels when they run high. The usage technique is effortless by just inhaling the aroma, and the cortisol levels are reduced.
Why one should use Clary Sage Oil for PMS?
This luxurious oil is known to be antispasmodic, which means it relieves spasms of the involuntary muscle. It has the capability of lowering the cortisol levels up to 36% and also increases the levels of the thyroid hormones. When it is used with Lavender, it gives you a calm and peaceful mind.
How to use Clary Sage Oil for PMS?
- Take two drops of Clary Sage Oil, two drops of lavender oil and a few drops of almond oil to message in the area where you feel pain or cramps.
- In case of inhalation – take two drops of Clary Sage Oil, two drops of bergamot oil, two drops of sandalwood oil and a few drops of ylang-ylang oil to inhale.
2. Lavender Essential Oil for PMS
The aroma of lavender oil is relaxing, and hence this oil can keep you at peace when you are suffering from PMS(3). From a single breathe it can prove to be beneficial. It can also be used to fall asleep as it takes away your stress, tension, anxiety during PMS and rebalances your emotions. Hence this analgesic helps you to relax and calm.
Why one should use Lavender Oil for PMS?
Lavender Oil helps to improve the blood flow, and hence it reduces the PMS cramps which help you to combat PMS. This calming oil will relax your nerves and let you get away from all the irritability and PMS mood swings and get a good night sleep.
How to use Lavender Oil for PMS?
- Take 5 – 6 drops of Lavender Oil and Almond oil by creating a blend
- Use this blend to massage on the area of cramps or PMS back pain
Read More: Lavender Oil Health Benefits
3. Ylang – Ylang Essential Oil for PMS
This oil is used for its antidepressant and aphrodisiac properties; it also acts as a sedative and functions best when it is mixed with lavender oil. It calms you down and balances the estrogen-cortisol levels.
Why one should use Ylang – Ylang Oil for PMS?
Its intoxicating aroma calms and uplifts your mind, relieves the tension of your mind and body, helps to reduce the blood pressure and acts as a sedative to the body; hence you don’t feel the pain of PMS anymore. This oil is used by women to boost libido, but it mainly reduces the stress levels and calms down the body.
How to use Ylang – Ylang Oil for PMS?
- Ylang – Ylang oil can be used for a warm bath relaxation- take Ylang – Ylang Oil in an Epsom Bath for relaxation, it can be massaged on the areas of cramps with a sweet and floral essence.
4. Thyme Essential Oil for PMS
This oil can balance the progesterone levels in the body, it is also well known for supporting an excellent immune system, and during or before menstruation it is essential to have a robust immune system(4).
Why one should use Thyme Oil for PMS?
As we know progesterone is essential for the menstrual cycle for preparing the lining of the uterus for the incoming fertilized egg, hence balancing the progesterone level becomes a crucial prime factor in which thyme oil comes into the picture and adjusts the progesterone levels.
How to use Thyme Oil for PMS?
- Mix some Thyme oil with coconut carrier oil
- Apply 1/4th of Epsom salt to a warm bath and massage it on parts of the body where you feel pain, it will release the pain.
DIY Recipes for Essential Oils
1. Calming Diffuser Blend
Take three drops of frankincense oil, two drops of ylang-ylang oil and mix them in a diffuser, after diffusing for 15 minutes apply it to places of cramps(5).
2. Bath Recipe
In a hot bath add 2 cups of Epsom salt and let it disperse, mix the essential oils with 2 cups of milk and stir, after stirring immerse yourself in the therapeutic water.
3. Roller Ball Recipe
Add 10ml of essential oil, lavender oil and clary sage oil in the roller ball, shake and use. Apply it twice a day for a month.
- Make sure the essential oil you’re buying it from a trusted seller as there might be chances of adulteration if the seller is not trusted.
- Throw away the oil if it is more than 2 or 3 years old as it may not function and cause allergy on the skin.
- Dilute these oils accordingly as they’re highly concentrated.
- Don’t use essential oils on any damaged skin as it can cause further problems.
- Don’t ingest it directly; it can prove to be toxic.
- Don’t expose it to the sun directly.
As the essential oils are highly concentrated, it should be handled with a lot of care. These oils shouldn’t be given to pregnant women and people suffering from serious health issues. Also, these oils have varied reactions for a variety of body types so one should consult Healthcare expert for the same.
- Headaches, rheumatoid arthritis rash, gastrointestinal problems are some side effects.
- These oils are sun-sensitive, and hence it can cause skin discoloring and irritation.
- It can cause complications for pregnant women if these oils are used.
- The oils should not be swallowed or consumed orally; it can be hazardous.
Recommended: Home Remedies for Headache
Other Home Remedies
- Eating a balanced diet full of fruits, green leafy vegetables is good, other than that to reduce PMS one can have nuts, raw seeds, whole grains. Other food items which are advised are consumption of sodium, consumption of maximum carbohydrates, Oatmeals, foods rich in serotonin, bananas, sesame seeds, etc.
- Eat small meals in a short period if you wait too long for meals, then the blood sugar will drop resulting in hypoglycemia. Along with that, it is also advised not to consume alcohol or caffeinated beverages as it increases your anxiety, irritation, etc.
- Reduce the consumption of fats, and perform aerobics as it provides you a lot of oxygen to the body and the blood circulation is effective. Along with the exercise, it is also essential to have a good sleep(6).
Also Read: Natural Remedies For Anxiety
As we see the main aim to reduce PMS cramps should be reducing the cortisol levels as it is one of the significant factors which trigger the symptoms of PMS. Essential Oils can prove beneficial for this syndrome, the essential oils for PMS are Ylang – Ylang oil, Lavender Oil, Clary Sage Oil, etc. which have an aesthetic aroma and it relaxes your body in a variety of ways, increases the blood circulation, relieves you from PMS a headache, and gives you a sound sleep with many more advantages.
As the sources of these oils are natural, it is wise to use the oils instead of painkillers which most of the women intake when they suffer from severe PMS with billion other side effects. PMS is a syndrome which can be treated by eating healthy and exercise, but these essential oils give your body a therapeutic essence which rejuvenates your body and sets you free from all kinds of stress, pain, anxiety, and tensions.
Natural Medicines have been beneficial to humans since ages; it’s time we start becoming beneficial to them rather than destroying it.