If you are wondering on how to use the lovely bottle of lavender essential oil, then you need to know that the oil is profoundly beneficial for health and beauty. Read on to find out more about lavender essential oil and its benefits. In this Article, you can find 20 Excellent Lavender Oil Benefits.
What is Lavender Essential Oil?
Lavender essential oil is obtained from the blossoms of the lavender plant through the process of steam distillation. The flowers are fragrant and are used in the preparation of aromatic drinks, tea, syrups and other beverages. The essential oil of lavender(1) is also used in the preparation of different perfumes, aromatherapy infusion, oil, gel, candles, and soaps.
Types of Lavender
The two broad categories of lavender include spike lavender and French lavender. Both of the types are almost equal in health benefits and therapeutic values.
- The spike lavender possesses broader leaves and a richer content of camphor and cineole which makes it less aromatic in nature. The oil obtained from this variety is almost thrice the volume of the French lavender variety.
- The French lavender has narrow leaves and small flowers. This oil extracted from this variety is more aromatic.
Lavender Essential Oil Uses
The health benefits of lavender essential oil include the elimination of stress and anxiety, alleviation of muscle cramps and aches, preservation of the health of skin and hair, enhancement of blood circulation and protection against respiratory disorders.
The essential oil aids in the natural treatment of health conditions on the basis of lavender aromatherapy.
How to use Lavender Oil?
Lavender oil can be incorporated into the daily life in the following ways.
- Use a diffuser to diffuse the essential oil into your surroundings preferably in your bedroom or office cabin.
- Add a few drops of lavender essential oil to your bathtub to feel calm and relaxed during and after you run a bath.
- Use the lavender essential oil as a skin toner by steeping the buds of lavender in hot water and then refrigerating the same in a glass vial.
- Spray your pillow with lavender essential oil to get a good night’s sleep.
- Drink lavender tea by boiling culinary lavender blooms in water and adding a teaspoon of honey.
- Add lavender to your food and desserts for an aromatic and highly beneficial meal.
Lavender Essential Oil Nutrition Facts
100 grams of lavender essential oil consists of-
- 49 calories
- 1 gram of fats
- 11 grams of carbohydrates
- Vitamin C
Top 20 Health and Beauty Benefits of Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender essential oil is vested with an impressive assortment of benefits for health and beauty, a handful of which are given below.
1. Lavender Oil for Sleep
Lavender essential oil has been in use since ancient times for the effective cure of insomnia, parasomnia, restless leg syndrome, fatigue, stress and general sleeplessness(2).
It soothes the central nervous system and induces a sense of relaxation and drowsiness. The aroma of the oil is responsible for inducing alpha waves in the brain which makes one feel relaxed and sleepy.
Recommended Read: natural remedies for insomnia
2. Lavender Aromatherapy Benefits for Anxiety
Lavender essential oil is known for its calming, anti-convulsive and sedative properties. Women in their postpartum phase are especially benefitted by the aromatherapy induced by lavender essential oil in feeling calm and relaxed.
Keep a potted lavender plant in one corner of your room or diffuse the scent in your bedroom to feel its excellent anxiolytic effect.
3. Benefits of Lavender Essential Oil for Headache
Lavender essential oil is highly effective in curing headache, migraine and sinus pain. Massage your forehead and neck with the essential oil to eliminate the pain and other health conditions associated with a headache like nausea, dizziness, and anxiety.
4. Lavender Essential Oil Benefits for Healing Cuts and Wounds
Lavender essential oil possesses potent antiseptic properties. Application of the essential oil diluted with olive oil (in a 1:10 ratio)to cuts, wounds and bruises facilitate cell regeneration in the affected area and promote quicker healing(4).
The antimicrobial properties of lavender essential oil disinfect the wound and shield it from pollution by forming a protective film over it.
5. Lavender Tea Benefits for Nausea
Drinking lavender tea or sniffing at a handkerchief slightly soaked in lavender essential oil is highly beneficial for the cure of nausea, vomiting, and dizziness. If you have motion sickness then lavender essential oil is one of the best natural remedies for you.
Recommended Read: natural remedies for nausea
6. Lavender Tea Benefits for Bloating
Growth and spread of unhealthy bacteria in the digestive tract cause indigestion, flatulence and bloating. Lavender essential oil is rich in polyphenolic compounds that inhibit the bacterial action and prevent bloating and indigestion. Have a cup of yogurt sprinkled with culinary lavender to facilitate digestion and cure bloating and stomach cramps.
7. Lavender Oil Benefits for Healthy Urination
Lavender essential oil is highly beneficial for the natural cure of urinary issue as it can stimulate the urinary bladder to produce and excrete the urine. The oil helps in the restoration of hormonal balance and cures inflammation of the bladder. It is also effective in the natural treatment of cystitis. It cures lower abdominal cramps and regulates the flow of urine.
8. Lavender Oil Benefits for Respiratory Issues
Lavender essential oil is highly beneficial for the natural cure of respiratory issues like a sore throat, flu, common cold, asthma, bronchitis, coughing fits, tonsillitis, laryngitis and more.
The oil can be inhaled as vapors or can be topically massaged to the chest and neck for soothing the respiratory tract and curing the inflammation and infection. The oil stimulates the expulsion of mucus and relieves chest and nasal congestion thereby accelerating the recovery process.
9. Benefits of Lavender Essential Oil for Cancer
Research has proven that lavender essential oil is remarkably beneficial for the prevention of breast cancer. Its anti-carcinogenic nature can diagnose the presence of cancer and help in battling its effects and risks.
10. Lavender Oil Benefits for the Treatment of Acne
The lavender essential oil acts as an excellent moisturizer and toner for the face and prevents the breakout of acne, pimples, and rashes. Regular massage of skin with the essential oil keeps it nourished and well moisturized from deep within.
You can also exfoliate your skin using the lavender essential oil to make a paste with honey and ground walnuts. Scrub your face with the paste to get rid of acne, dead cells and blackheads and rejuvenate the health of your skin(5).
11. Lavender Oil Benefits for Healthy Blood Circulation
Lavender essential oil is highly beneficial for the improvement of blood circulation. It is remarkably effective for establishing coronary circulation, regulating blood pressure and curing hypertension.
Lavender essential oil enhances oxygenation of blood, promotes the strength of muscles and protects the cardiovascular system from the risks of strokes, cardiac attacks, and atherosclerosis.
12. Lavender Oil Benefits for Stronger Immune System
Regular lavender essential oil utilization enhances the functioning of the immune response to a wide variety of ailments. It helps to fight against flu, cough and cold, sinus and many other respiratory ailments.
Lavender oil contains phenolic compounds that help to fight against infections and its antioxidative properties reduce the number of free radicals in the body hence building a stronger immunity(6).
13. Lavender Oil Benefits for Skin Psoriasis
Eczema is a skin condition that is characterized by patches of dry skin that are itchy, annoying and occur due to poor hydration of the skin. Lavender essential oil can be used for the effective treatment of asthma.
Mix a few drops of lavender essential oil with a carrier oil like coconut or jojoba and massage your skin with the oil mixture. The oils enhance the moisturization of skin and nourish it from deep within. Lavender essential oil works by reducing the itchy sensation and decongesting the affected area through natural hydration.
14. Lavender Oil Benefits for Curing Bug Bites
The aroma that wafts from lavender essential oil makes the oil a potent bug repellent and healer of insect bites. In case of insect bites, put a few drops of lavender oil on the affected area and dab it gently.
The swelling, redness and itching sensation will decrease instantly. It is effective to keep mosquitoes, moths, and midges at bay. Its anti-inflammatory properties help to cure bug bites as well.
15. Lavender Skin Benefits for Healing Burns
The anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties of lavender essential oil make the oil remarkably effective in healing minor burns and burn scars. The analgesic nature of the essential oil alleviates the pain associated with burns.
Hold the affected area under cool running water for about 10-15 minutes. After this apply a few drops of lavender essential oil to that area to accelerate the healing process. If the burning sensation persists then consult a physician.
16. Lavender Oil Benefits for Skin Detoxification
In our daily lives, we get constantly exposed to environmental pollutants and toxins that erode our skin and deteriorate skin health. Lavender essential oil is highly beneficial for the health of the skin and is an excellent detoxifier. It cleanses the skin and flushes out the toxins with ease.
Topical application of lavender essential oil on the skin inhibits the growth and spread of unhealthy bacteria on the skin. The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of lavender essential oil protect the skin against several health risks and keep the skin healthy and detoxified.
17. Lavender Oil for Hair Lice and Dandruff
Lavender essential oil is highly beneficial for the health of hair. The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of lavender essential oil protect the scalp against dandruff and lice(7).
Massage your scalp with a few drops of lavender essential oil mixed with coconut oil to hydrate the scalp, prevent it from becoming dry and rough and enrich it with nutrients. The antiseptic nature of lavender essential prevents scalp infections.
18. Lavender Essential Oil Benefits for the Natural Cure of Alopecia Areata
Alopecia areata is a disease that affects the scalp and is characterized by permanent bald patches. Heat a mixture of the essential oil and olive oil and massage your scalp with it to make new hair grow on the patches and fight off the disease.
19. Lavender Oil Benefits for Arthritis
Lavender essential oil is highly beneficial for the natural cure of arthritis. It is rich in polyphenolic compounds that serve as potent antioxidants and heal chronic inflammatory diseases like rheumatoid arthritis.
The analgesic nature of the essential oil alleviates the pain whereas the anti-inflammatory property heals arthritis most effectively. Massage your joints and muscles with a heated mixture of lavender essential oil and mustard oil for maximum benefits.
20. Lavender Oil Benefits for Diabetes
Lavender essential oil possesses therapeutic potential when it comes to the natural treatment of diabetes. For the use of lavender essential oil for the cure of diabetes apply it to your chest and neck with gentle rubbing for the cure of increased blood sugar, metabolic problems, and weight gain.
Lavender Oil Side Effects
A few generic side effects of lavender essential oil(8) include nausea, headaches, vomiting, and stomach pain. The health risks associated with the use of lavender essential oil are as follows-
- Pregnancy and post pregnancy phase: It is recommended to avoid lavender essential oil during pregnancy and post pregnancy phase.
- Diabetes: Patients with diabetes are advised to avoid the use of lavender essential oil.
- Hormonal imbalance: Consistent use of lavender essential oil causes hormonal imbalance and development of female characteristics in males. Avoid the use of lavender essential oil on boys who haven’t reached their puberty.
- Allergic reactions: Topical application of lavender essential oil causes skin allergies like itchiness and irritation.
- Ingestion: Ingestion of the essential oil causes vomiting, diarrhea, breathing problems, blurred vision and more.
1. Can you drink lavender oil?
Response: Lavender oil should not be ingested. It can be superficially used as well as can be used in a diffuser.
2. Can lavender oil make you sick?
Response: Ingestion of lavender essential oil can make you sick and nauseous. It is in-edible in nature.
3. Is lavender oil comedogenic?
Response: The comedogenic rate of lavender essential oil is 0.