Being the largest organ of the body and almost completely exposed to the environment, the skin is susceptible to various infections that can cause irritation and pain to a person. The common culprits of a skin infection belong to either one of the following three – bacterial, fungal or viral pathogens. Warts are one of the many skin conditions that result due to a viral outbreak of the human papillomavirus (HPV) and usually affect the hands and feet. Warts is a highly contagious viral infection that usually spreads through direct and indirect contact with an affected person. Using Oregano Oil for Warts has proved quite useful and provides satisfactory results.
Listed below is the table of content.
Causes of Warts
- Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) like HPV – 1, HPV – 2, HPV – 60 or HPV – 63.
- Dysfunctional immune systems
- Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)
- Continuous exposure to moist surfaces
- Human contact
Visible symptoms of Warts
- Small and fleshy bumps on skin on various parts of the body
- Irritation of skin in the affected area
- Rough bumps with black dots can be found
- Pain and discomfort while walking or doing daily chores
- Clusters or threads of small bumps can be seen on the affected part of the body
Oregano essential Oil for Warts treatment
Origanum vulgare, commonly known as Oregano Oil is viscose and transparent fluid that is extracted from the herb called oregano which is widely grown in the Mediterranean region of the world. After the oil has been pressed from the leaves, flowers or buds of this plant, it is stored in small containers(1). Oregano oil finds it uses in various sectors of cooking as well as medicine. In medicine, oregano oil is widely utilized for skin care and is considered to be one of the essential oils like lemongrass or tea tree oil.
Why use Oregano Oil for Warts
This essential oil contains certain natural compounds with the capability to eradicate harmful pathogens from the body. It has strong and effective antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties due to the high concentration of natural phytochemicals called phenols present in it that act as anti-oxidizing agents. It can boost the immune system as it also comprises other active and healthy compounds like terpene, thymol, carvacrol, linalool, and naringin. What’s more is that oregano oil is rich in anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antifungal properties, which help you to get rid of warts easily.
Oregano oil can penetrate the wart and fight off the HPV virus. The various properties in the oil help in reducing the infection and chances of infection.
When applied to the area affected, this oil attacks the virus and prohibits further growth as well as spreading of warts. The moisturizing properties of the oil work on the hardened skin of the bump (wart) and loosen it so it can be sloughed off faster. The anti-inflammatory and immune-boosting capability of this oil is beneficial when treating a case of warts. Even though it is advantageous, using Oregano Oil for Warts requires patience as it takes at least a week for warts to loosen and shed. Continuous but controlled use (or as indicated by a doctor) until all warts vanish is advisable.
How to use oregano oil as a Home Remedy for warts?
There are a few ways to utilize Oregano Oil for treatment of the symptoms and pain caused by warts. The different methods are:
1. Direct Action on the affected area
This method is the best and simplest as it involves applying the oil directly to the affected area. As pure and concentrated Oregano Oil burns if applied directly, it is advisable to dilute one teaspoon of oregano oil with eight teaspoons of other oils like jojoba oil, olive oil or coconut oil. Then, a few drops of this mixture should be put on a clean q – tip which is then used to apply the oil to warts directly. Repeating this once every three hours on a regular basis until there is visible improvement can be beneficial.
2. The cotton ball method
As the name suggests, this method involves dabbing a cotton ball in a mixture of 1 teaspoon of olive oil and around 30 drops of Oregano Oil following a 3% dilution rate and placing the ball directly on the wart or cluster of warts. To keep the ball in place, a piece of duct tape is used over the wart and is left overnight. Repeating this entire process over several nights would help to get rid of warts.
3. Oral medication
It is a very rare and uncommon method and is generally not advisable. Oregano Oil can also be ingested orally as the immune boosters present in it fight the viral infection from the inside. One drop of the oil in a vegetable capsule taken once or twice a day for a couple of weeks along with either of the two methods mentioned above can aid the treatment. It is essential to consult a natural health care doctor before ingesting the oil orally. This method must not be used to treat warts in children.
Necessary precautions to be taken
There are specific warnings and precautions when it comes to using Oregano Oil. Here is what one must keep in mind:
- Avoid ingesting Oregano Oil without consulting a doctor. Only topical application of the oil is advisable.
- Refrain from using this oil while treating pregnant women or children as it can be very harmful to their health.
- Make sure that you only take up to 150 milligrams of oregano oil in a day, in doses. Anything more than that will be harmful for you.
- Allergies to mint, lavender, basil or sage can also mean an allergy to oregano. Confirming this before application of the oil is extremely necessary.
- In case there is very little or no improvement in the condition, or if the warts are continuing to spread to other parts of the body, one must immediately consult a dermatologist.
- Only purchase high – quality organic Oregano Oil and look for signs of falsity.
- Skin growths that bleed or ooze pus must not be dismissed and wrongly assumed to be warts. They might experience the symptoms of another skin condition which might become severe unless diagnosed correctly by a skin specialist.
Before using oregano oil for warts treatment, make sure that you perform a patch test to ascertain if you are allergic to it or not.
Other Home Remedies for Warts
In addition to the fantastic benefits of using oregano oil for warts, you can try some other home remedies also. These remedies are entirely natural and offer significant relief from painful warts. Here are the best home remedies for warts: –
- Take a raw potato and cut it into halves. Now rub the half potato over the affected area for a few minutes. Make sure that the wart is completely rubbed with potato juice. Repeat it thrice every day, and you will be able to see visible improvement within a week.
- Take a cotton ball and soak it in Apple Cider Vinegar. Now rub this cotton ball over the affected area for a few minutes. Now use a band-aid to fix the cotton ball over the wart. Let it stay for a couple of hours and then remove. Repeat it twice daily for visible results.
- Take a fresh orange peel and rub it over the wart for a few minutes. When you repeat this remedy for two times every day throughout two weeks, you will see the wart slowly turning orange then darker and eventually dropping off.
- Take a clear nail polish and apply it over the wart. Repeat this process every alternate day. You will be able to see visible improvement within a few days.
- Take a Vitamin E capsule and break it open carefully. Now cove the wart in the Vitamin E Oil. Cover the affected area with a band aid and leave it overnight. In the morning, wash off with fresh water. Repeat thus remedy every day for noticeable improvement in the condition.
This is all you need to understand about using Oregano Oil for warts. It can be implemented anywhere and anytime and can provide relief from the pain and discomfort caused by warts. To aid the healing process, taking proper care of your skin and maintain a healthy diet as food can be an essential factor which quickens the healing process. Avoiding contact with others who have been infected or refraining sharing clothing with them in gymnasiums is the most crucial precautionary measure you have to consider.