Irritable bowel syndrome is a digestive disorder having a group of symptoms. It includes gas, bloating, indigestion, flatulence, constipation and stomach cramps. It can be challenging to live and manage everyday life with these symptoms. But using medicines, diet and complementary therapy can bring quite an amount of relief to patients suffering from irritable bowel syndrome. But along with comfort it also brings side effects and expensive hospital bills. Hence using the essential oils for irritable bowel syndrome is an organic way of treating irritable bowel syndrome.
Some of the causes of irritable bowel syndrome are
- Hormonal imbalances
- Food allergies
- Bacterial overgrowth in the gut
How do Essential Oils help in IBS?
Essential oils are natural extracts of flowers and tree parts. They contain compounds like ketones, oxides, and terpenes which are powerful natural compounds which aid in healing diseases. Let’s look at some ways that they help in treating irritable bowel syndrome:
- Reducing diarrhea
- Strengthening the immune system
- Healing inflammation
- Stimulating digestive juices
- Promoting deep sleep
- Promoting proper bowel movement
- Soothing muscle spasms
- Curbing nausea
- Reducing acid reflux and heartburn
- Reducing anxiety and depression.
Here are some of the most effective essential oils for irritable bowel syndrome that you must try
1. Peppermint essential oil for irritable bowel syndrome
The most preferred and effective oil for irritable bowel syndrome.
Why use peppermint oil for irritable bowel syndrome
It has antispasmodic, antifungal and anti-bacterial properties. It can relieve stress too which is a significant factor of IBS. The active ingredient in peppermint oil, which is menthol has calcium channel blocking properties which can regulate colonic smooth muscle movement.
How to use peppermint oil for irritable bowel syndrome
Generally, people take enteric coated tablets of peppermint oil. One should make sure to consume it just before a meal, as it can cause heartburn. Also, add a drop of peppermint oil to an herbal tea for relief.
2. Blackseed essential oil for irritable bowel syndrome
This oil is a natural wonder oil. Some studies have shown it to relieve various diseases.
Why use black seed oil for irritable bowel syndrome
Its numerous medicinal properties include:
How to use Blackseed oil for irritable bowel syndrome
Add a few drops of the black seed oil to a cup of green tea and drink twice a day for significant relief.
3. Ginger essential oil for irritable bowel syndrome
Ginger is a powerful herb. Its oil can also be used in digestive disorders.
Why use Ginger essential oil for irritable bowel syndrome
It has antiseptic, antibacterial and antifungal properties. It eases the pain in the intestinal tract.
How to use ginger essential oil for irritable bowel syndrome?
You can add a few drops of ginger oil to a warm bath for relief from the symptoms.
4. Cumin essential oil for irritable bowel syndrome
This is pain reliever oil; it has excellent antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties.
Why use cumin oil for irritable bowel syndrome?
It speeds up digestion by stimulating the gastric juices in the stomach and offers relief from the irritable bowel.
How to use cumin oil for irritable bowel syndrome?
Let look at a recipe to use cumin oil with other oils:
- 8 drops ginger essential oil
- 6 drops sweet orange essential oil
- 5 drops cumin essential oil
- 4 drops tarragon essential oil
- 2 oz jojoba oil
Mix all the essential oils and store it in a dark place. Apply eight drops from this mixture on the stomach area whenever you notice the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.
5. Fennel essential oil for irritable bowel syndrome
Fennel essential oil offers significant relief from the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome through its anti-acidic nature.
Why use Fennel essential oil for irritable bowel syndrome
This oil has the unique quality of to relieve abdominal pain by releasing trapped gases from the stomach. It’s also anti-spasmodic and kills and traps bacteria that affect gut health.
How to use Fennel essential oil for irritable bowel syndrome
Take a few drops of the fennel oil, mix with some coconut oil and massage over the abdominal area.
6. Anise essential oil for irritable bowel syndrome
Anise is a Mediterranean herb. It’s the primary use as a digestive aid whose taste is much similar to that of licorice.
Why use Anise essential oil for irritable bowel syndrome
It is useful in treating digestive problems like stomach pain, gas, diarrhea and bloating.
How to use Anise essential oil for irritable bowel syndrome?
One can add a drop of anise essential oil to herbal tea and consume it.
7. Thieves essential oil for irritable bowel syndrome
This is a unique blend of essential oils specially made for treating irritable bowel syndrome.
Why useThieves essential oil for irritable bowel syndrome
It is also known as the “four knives.” the oils mixture are rosemary, clove eucalyptus, and lemon essential oils. These are great oils well known for their antifungal and antibacterial properties. They are antioxidant-rich, especially clove oil and sometimes it’s used even to treat cold and flu with this oil.
How to use Thieves essential oil for irritable bowel syndrome
The consumption can be through a tablet.
8. Oregano essential oil for irritable bowel syndrome
This is an aphrodisiac. It enhances the mood too.
Why use Oregano essential oil for irritable bowel syndrome?
Often in us as a stress reliever oil which is a significant cause of irritable bowel syndrome. It’s used to relieve leaky gut syndrome and reduce inflammation in the intestine.
How to use Oregano essential oil for irritable bowel syndrome?
Add a few drops to warm water and ingest directly. Use this mix twice every day.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Because the oils are so very powerful and potent, one needs to check on the safety of these oils especially with ingesting them. But, with careful use and professional advice, the risks can be minimized.
- Check the quality of these oils before buying, and one has always to remember to mix these essential oils with a suitable carrier oil like olive oil or coconut oil before application to partake maximum of its benefits.
- Always use top-quality essential oils or therapeutic grade oil. It should be certified as organic and100% pure.
- Keep essential oils away from sensitive areas. Essential oils are considered as nature’s powerhouses as they are 40-50 times more potent than the plant it’s extracted from.
- Avoid using or applying essential oils to sensitive areas of the body, including the genitals or area near your eyes.
- Always test new oils to make sure there are no reactions before applying. A patch test is still advisable to check if the essential oil causes any redness or itching or any irritation.
- Never heat essential oils. What you may be not aware of is that boiling these oils ruins their healing characteristics.
Home Remedies for Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Yogurt: Add one tsp of psyllium husk to a bowl of yogurt and add some sugar. Consumer twice daily till the symptoms subside
- Flaxseed: Make a fine powder of the flaxseeds and consume one tsp daily with warm water in the night.
- Ginger and Honey: Crush a one-inch piece of ginger and make a fine paste. Mix it with some honey and consume one tsp twice every day with warm water.
Thus, usage of essential oils for irritable bowel syndrome is a natural and organic way of treating this nuisance. It comes with its baggage but using essential oils will help you relax your mind and body. If used correctly, essential oils can effectively cure your irritable bowel syndrome.