Throbbing pain in the lower abdomen is typical during periods. Not only annoying but the pain can be quite intense and severe. As natural as periods are, the pain that you suffer is not that common, and especially if it happens every month, then you need to get it treated. Popping up a medicine may seem reasonable to you, but such painkillers aren’t great for your body. These can pose grave threats in the long run. An alternative to these, essential oils for menstrual cramps are useful and pose no such harm. Get instant relief from them and let your period not stop you.
Types of Menstrual Cramps
Following are the common types of Menstrual Cramps
1. Primary Dysmenorrhea:
Primary Dysmenorrhea is nothing but the pain caused due to your regular menstrual cycle. The pain mostly occurs in the lower abdomen region, the back and inner thighs. Usually, it starts before your period and stays for two to three days. The severity of the pain decreases with age and fades eventually after first childbirth.
2. Secondary Dysmenorrhea:
Secondary Dysmenorrhea occurs due to some problem in the reproductive organs of the woman. Conditions like fibroids, cysts or other infection may cause severe menstrual cramps. It may also occur due to an Intrauterine device, a type of contraceptive.
Symptoms of Menstrual Cramps
Some common symptoms of menstrual(1) cramps are
- Pain in the lower abdomen which can be severe
- Pain in hips, inner thighs, and back
- Upset Stomach that may lead to vomiting
- Loose Stools
- A severe Headache
Causes of Menstrual Cramps
Menstrual cramps occur due to contractions in the uterus. Prostaglandins are the hormone-like substances that trigger the uterus muscle contraction. Higher levels of the hormone in the body cause severe cramps. Mild pain is frequent but too severe pain may be caused due to the following conditions:
- Uterine Fibroids
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
- Cervical Stenosis
Essential Oils for Severe Menstrual Cramps
Essential oils obtained from plant extracts have become a popular alternative for healing almost every condition. From getting beautiful skin and hair to treating infections and more severe health conditions to even easing your period pain, these can do wonders.
Menstruation is a natural part of being a woman, and no one can stop that, but you can ease the pain that accompanies ita and makes you roll on the bed.
Many of you would be popping up your painkiller to get through the painful days, but such menstrual cramps medications aren’t great for your body. So why not try some more natural remedies like the essential oils.
What are the essential oils that are good for Menstrual Cramps?
Essential oils for menstrual cramps are an excellent option for those who are looking for natural remedies for easing the pain.
The anti-inflammatory properties of the oils not only help reduce the pain but their sweet and fascinating aromas also help control your mood swings which makes them quite beneficial during menses. Your period will not be that miserable if you use the essential oils mentioned below
1. Use peppermint essential oil for painful menstrual cramps
Peppermint essential oil counts among the best essential oils for menstrual cramps. Most women feel too exhausted during their menses, but with so much of work lined up, they may find it difficult to manage a nap in between. Having periods is no excuse for a workaholic woman. So, to get that instant dose of energy use peppermint essential oil.
How to use?
- Rub few drops of the oil on your palm and inhale it (or)
- You can directly inhale it from the bottle
You would feel an instant rush of energy. The oil also helps in reducing food cravings.
2. Use CBD oil for easing menstrual cramps and nausea
CBD oil or Cannabidiol(2) obtained from the Cannabis plant is highly reliable in case of severe menstrual cramps. Its anti-inflammatory properties help in alleviating the pain. Further, its soothing effect helps relax mind and body.
Recommended Read: Home Remedies For Nausea
How to use?
- Massage the oil on your lower abdomen region to reduce the pain
- You can also take in the tincture of CBD oil for instant relief
CBD oil is edible. Hence it is safe and edible. Using CBD oil can help ease menstrual cramps and nausea trouble.
3. How to relieve period pain using castor oil packs?
Castor oil is an excellent ingredient for those looking for how to relieve the pain due to menstrual cramps using natural remedies. The anti-inflammatory and pain reducing properties can help get rid of excessive pain easily.
How to cure?
- Take a clean cloth and fold it in two or three layers
- Soak it in castor oil and place it on your lower abdomen
- Cover it with a plastic wrap and supply heat using hot water bag
- Leave the pack for about an hour
It reduces your period trouble significantly. You can store the box and use it again when you feel the need.
4. Lavender Oil is the best essential oil for menstrual cramps
Lavender oil is known to have several health benefits, and one such advantage is easing menstrual pain. Muscle aches, insomnia and even migraine associated with cramps get treated with Lavender essential oil.
How to use?
- Massage the oil on the abdomen region to reduce pain due to inflammation (or)
- Inhale it directly to calm your body and control your mood swings
Lavender essential oil should be your prime choice among the essential oils for menstrual cramps.
5. Eucalyptus oil is one of the most effective essential oils for menstrual cramps
Eucalyptus Essential Oil is also useful for women who are looking for how to get rid of pain during menses. The anti-inflammatory properties of the oil make it an apt choice for easing the pain.
How to use?
- Take a few drops of the Eucalyptus oil
- Massage them on the abdomen region
It gives you relief from the pain instantly.
6. Roman Chamomile counts among the beneficial natural remedies to treat Menstrual Cramps
Roman Chamomile oil is in use since ancient times as a pain reliever. Its soothing effect on mind and body make it an excellent remedy for soothing period pain.
How to use?
- Inhale the pleasant aroma of the oil (or)
- Add few drops of the oil in your foot bath and get relieved from the pain
The fresh fragrance of the oil will keep you happy and active in periods too.
7. Use rose essential oil for reducing period pain
Rose Essential oil minimizes the period pain by regulating your menstrual cycle. With a balanced sequence, the PMS symptoms get cut, and you have balanced hormone secretion which is known to trigger uterus cramping(3). Its anti-depressant properties further help boost the mood.
How to use?
- To ease your period pain inhale the pleasant aroma of the rose essential oil (or)
- You can massage the oil on the lower abdomen region
8. Use Orange Essential Oil for menstrual cramps
Orange Oil is another potent essential oil for menstrual cramps. It can be beneficial for getting quick relief from period pain and boosting the mood. It has a soothing effect that helps calm mind and body, relieving you of stress and strain.
How to use?
- Topically use the oil to ease the pain
- Inhale the oil to reduce the pain and boost your mood instantly
9. Cinnamon essential oil for menstrual cramps and diarrhea
Cinnamon Essential Oil can prove to be an excellent remedy for those who wish to know how to get rid of menstrual pain and other symptoms related to it including nausea, bloating and diarrhea. Its anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties make it an excellent remedy for menstruation troubles.
How to use?
- Take a few drops of the cinnamon essential oil
- Massage the oil on the lower abdomen
- It helps instantly relieve the excessive pain of menstrual cramps and diarrhea
Top Carrier Oil to use for Menstrual Cramps:
How to get rid of extreme menstrual cramps using coconut oil?
Period pain varies from woman to woman while one may be little affected, the other may experience pangs of intense pain that seem like almost crippling her. If you have been struggling every month to keep up with your routine during your menses, then it’s time you adopt natural cures that ease things for you.
One of the most effective home remedies for extreme menstrual cramps is coconut oil. The anti-inflammatory properties of the oil make it quite useful for easing the pains.
How to use?
- Incorporate coconut oil into your diet
- Its intake over a period reduces menstrual pain
Side-Effects of Essential oils:
Essential oils are concentrates obtained from plants and have many bioactive compounds that can harm you. One should always use essential oils in a diluted form by mixing it with a base oil. Some side-effects of essential oils are listed below:
- These can cause allergic reactions
- The intense fragrance may lead to a severe headache
- Some oils may cause rashes on sensitive skin
Other Home Remedies to treat Menstrual Cramps
Other home treatments that can be quite useful in treating menstrual cramps are-
Applying heat is an effective way to ease to reduce the period pain. Place a heat bag on your lower abdomen region or use a warm water bottle to relieve the pain. You can also enjoy a hot bath.
While many avoid exercising during their periods, studies have shown that physical activity may help ease the pain. So, the next time you get your periods, do not miss out on your exercise regime.
Avoid tobacco and alcohol
Smoking and drinking have a terrible effect on your periods too. These are known to increase the severity of menstrual cramps.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why are essential oils diluted?
The essential oils in their pure form are highly concentrated and can harm you. Thus, dilute it before application.
2. How to store Essential Oils?
Essential oils should be stored in a calm and dry place away from direct sunlight. You can store them in your refrigerator.
Period pain is something ubiquitous but the severity of the illness and other troubles like vomiting, nausea, etc., vary from woman to woman. If the menstrual cramps derail your life for a few days every month, you need some help. Try essential oils for menstrual cramps and get relieved from the trouble quickly. These have been found to be quite useful in easing pain and controlling mood swings.