Coconut oil has been a miraculous product in our lives since ages. Since generations, we have been using coconut oil regularly in various ways. This oil is very much essential in our daily lives and we all have used it at least once in our lifetime. It is so much advantageous and it is indeed a surprise that coconut oil can be used in a variety of ways. Scroll down and read along to know about Coconut oil, it’s uses and benefits.
Types Of Coconut Oil
There are different types of coconut oil that can be used for a variety of problems. The most popular variations of coconut oil are:
1. Organic Coconut Oil
This oil is the more nutritious type as compared to the non-organic coconut oil which can prove to be harmful. Organic coconut oil is extracted from coconuts that are grown without the use of chemicals and pesticides.
To differentiate organic coconut oil from mineral coconut oil, you have to check for a ‘USDA Organic’ label on the packaging. Health experts claim it is the healthier option among coconut oils.
2. Refined and Unrefined Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is refined coconut oil and is suitable for cooking. Refined coconut oil is processed, whereas unrefined coconut oil is not processed. The processing increases the smoke point and makes it suitable for cooking.
But one thing you need to ensure is to check how the oil is processed. If it’s processed using chemicals, then it is harmful, and if it’s processed using heat, gravity or friction, you are good to go!
3. Virgin and Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Yes, coconut oil has virgin and extra virgin options, much like Olive Oil. This gives you options to choose from, but there isn’t a big difference between extra virgin and virgin coconut oil, so choose the one as per your preference.
4. Centrifuge Extracted Coconut Oil
The raw and nutritious oil is extracted by means of centrifugal force. The oil is natural and ready for consumption without any probable side effects. It is a nourishing oil, and also a little expensive as compared to the other types.
5. Expeller-Pressed Coconut Oil
This type of coconut oil is obtained by a mechanical extraction process, which doesn’t use any chemicals or solvents. It adds to the flavor of the oil and also increases the smoke point, making Expeller-Pressed Coconut oil suitable for cooking.
6. Cold Pressed Coconut Oil
Cold Pressed Coconut oil comes from dried coconut flakes stored at a low temperature. The oil is filled with flavor but is more expensive than the other types.
[Also Read: Apple Cider Vinegar Health Benefits]
Health Benefits of Coconut Oil:
Noted below are some of the most important health benefits of this oil that all of us should be aware of. So read along and find out what they are.
1. Stimulates Thyroid
Research shows that this oil contains medium-chain fatty acids accelerate that stimulates metabolism, thus boosting your energy.
2. Checks Excess Growth of Candida
Coconut oil has a good quantity of caprylic acid in it which is well known to stop the excess of growth candida, known to result in health problems.
[Also Read: Coconut Oil for Yeast Infections]
3. Lowers cholesterol
It is rich in lauric acid which protects your heart by reducing total cholesterol and increases good cholesterol.
4. Helps in Weight Loss
Here is an interesting fact about this oil; even though it is a fat, it actually helps with weight loss! The healthy medium-chain fatty acids do not circulate in the bloodstream like other fats; they are sent directly to the liver and are converted into energy. Thus the body does not store the fat in this oil as fat; it uses it to produce energy instead.
5. Helps keep diabetes in check
It does not produce an insulin spike in your bloodstream. Instead, it helps control blood sugar by improving the secretion of insulin.
6. Cures Gastrointestinal malabsorption diseases
Combining Vitamin E supplements with coconut oil is a good alternative for those with gastrointestinal malabsorption diseases.
7. Supports the immune system
It is rich in lauric acid, a nutrient that supports the body’s immune system.
Coconut Oil for Hair:
A warm head massage with this oil when stressed is what heaven feels like! This oil is considered very healthy for hair. It strengthens hair and provides a lot of goodness to our hair.
Coconut oil can work as well, or perhaps better than many commercial hair products by adding shine, smoothness, and strengthening your hair. The following benefits of this oil will make you consider replacing your hair products with this natural alternative.
1. Prevents Hair Loss:
Coconut oil has been used since ancient times in India for grooming hair. Applying a mixture of lime water and coconut oil can also provide relief from hair loss, as so does a mixture of coconut oil and gooseberries. Boil the gooseberries in coconut oil and then apply it on your hair.
2. Prevents Hair Damage:
Regular use of coconut oil on hair reduces protein loss in both damaged as well as undamaged hair. This oil is rich in lauric acid, has a high affinity for hair protein, and easily penetrates inside the hair shaft.
Moisture Retention: This oil has a high moisture retaining capacity, since does not break down easily nor gets evaporated. It does not let moisture escape, thus keeping hair moist and soft, which prevents breakage of hair.
3. Provides Hair Conditioning:
This oil is a better conditioner for hair than any synthetic one available in the market. Use of warm coconut oil keeps hair shimmering and soft.
4. Prevents Gray Hair and Baldness:
This oil is also beneficial for preventing baldness and gray hair.
Coconut Oil for Skin
This oil can be used to treat skin conditions on any part of the body, even the scalp. Here are some ways of using this oil on the skin.
1. On Stretch Marks:
This oil is one of the most effective cures to cure stretch marks. Its an excellent moisturizer and rapidly absorb into the skin making it an ideal and preferable measure while dealing with stretch marks. If you massage this oil twice or thrice daily during pregnancy, it will significantly reduce the chances of stretch marks.
2. As an Insect Repellent:
Most insect repellent topical drugs are packed with unhealthy chemicals. This oil is a natural and completely safe alternative as compared to chemical creams. Moreover, mixing it with aromatic herbal oils gives it a pleasant fragrance and this mixture can be used to protect against mosquitoes for up to 5 to 6 hours.
3. As a Chapstick:
Coconut oil is widely used as a lip balm or Chapstick to treat dry, chapped or peeling lips. Its moisturizing properties hydrate the skin of the lips and make it soft and smooth.
4. As a moisturizer:
In dry and cold weather when the skin on the hands, arms, feet, and face loses all moisture and begins to crack or peel, using This oil is very beneficial. Dried skin is accompanied by irritation and inflammation, both of which are quickly treated by this oil.
Even on a daily basis irrespective of weather conditions, coconut oil is an effective moisturizer as it makes the skin smooth and soft and protects it from pollution and dirt.
5. For Massages:
Most massage oils usually contain some quantity of This oil. As it is easy to apply, gets absorbed quickly, and is skin-friendly, this oil is widely used for massages.
6. Treats Psoriasis:
The autoimmune disease Psoriasis can cause irritation and pain near the nails, and also diminishing their appearance. The build-up of dead skin cells and the rough, scaly patches of psoriasis can be treated by soaking in a hot bath consisting of a few tablespoons of coconut oil.
[Also Read: Top 5 Home Remedies for Psoriasis]
7. Cures Eczema:
This oil is also a natural treatment measure for Eczema. Applying the oil twice a day can help reduce dryness, itching, redness, and reduces the bacterial infection of staphylococcus.
8. Treats Sunburns:
Using This oil helps cure sunburns. To prevent sunburns, the oil can be applied on arms, face, and legs but only if the exposure to sunlight is of a shorter duration since its sun protection factor is very low.
Coconut Oil for Yeast Infection
Yeast infection or fungal infection is mainly caused in the genital areas and is found mostly in women. Now, this doesn’t mean it is not found in men. Basically, every healthy vagina contains a certain amount of yeast and when they overgrow in number, they end up resulting in yeast infection. However, they aren’t contagious and hence they don’t spread.
How to Use Coconut Oil for Yeast Infection?
This oil is used for yeast infection by a lot of people and for people who do not know, coconut oil is indeed effective. Make sure to buy either organic or pure coconut oil for this purpose as they are effective and safe most of the time.
Choose the one with no smell as this indicates a pure form of oil. To cure a yeast infection, you can use coconut oil in many ways. Read on to know more. Apply this oil directly to the infected area. Apply it on the yeast infected area in the folds of the skin and leave it overnight.
- You can also use coconut oil for oil pulling which is a technique to avoid a yeast infection. Heat 2-3 tablespoons of pure this oil for a few seconds. Gargle with this solution for about 10 seconds and spit it out.
- If you have an infection in your vaginal areas, dip a tampon into this oil and then insert it into your vagina. As this oil is considered safe, you can use it for internal purpose too. This method might give you quick relief and is definitely safer.
[Also Read: Treat Yeast Infection with Natural Remedies]
Coconut for Weight Loss
Did you know that coconut oil helps a lot in weight loss? Well, now you might be thinking about how can you use a source of fat help in weight loss. The answer is right below.
How to Use Coconut Oil for Weight Loss?
- To realize the full potential of coconut oil when looking for weight loss, you need to ingest it orally. But it is important that you consume this oil in the prescribed quantities, otherwise, you might not get the desired effects.
- Twenty minutes before the meal is the right time to consume coconut oil for weight loss. It helps you to reduce your appetite significantly when used just before a meal. It makes you feel fuller.
- Have liquified coconut oil. For liquefying coconut oil, mix 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a mug. To the mug, add hot water and bone broth or herbal tea. Stir well to melt and combine this oil properly. You can consume this mix as per the dosage mentioned below.
- The general dosage is as follows:
90- 130 lbs – 1 tablespoon coconut oil mix before a meal
131- 180 lbs – 1.5 tablespoons coconut oil mix before a meal
Over 180 lbs – 2 tablespoon coconut oil mix before a meal
- Another useful way to use coconut oil for losing weight is through massage. When massaged gently over the area where fat has accumulated, coconut oil increases the temperature of the body and melts the extra fat. This helps you get rid of the excess fat from your body and also firms-up the loose skin which results from weight loss.
Benefits of Coconut Oil for Weight Loss:
- Coconut helps to increase the metabolic rate in our body. The increased metabolic activity uses the fat in the body and helps reduce weight.
- It boosts energy levels and keeps the person active. This way it reduces body weight gradually.
- It burns the extra calories in the body that we gain during the rest mode.
- Coconut oil reduces harmful belly fat in the abdominal cavity.
- This oil reduces the appetite and that means our food quantity will be reduced to a lot of extents but then we won’t be starving. Our body will have enough fat to survive while cutting down on junk food.
- Externally and internally, this oil keeps out body active and burns fat. It reduces the amount of fat our body contains and also provides nourishment to our body.
Coconut Oil for Hair Growth
The practice of using coconut oil for hair has been followed for ages now. Since ancient times, the term ‘hair oil’ means coconut oil and it is considered beneficial in a lot of ways.
1. Coconut Oil for Hair Growth
- No other oil has proved more beneficial as compared to coconut oil in preventing the loss of potent hair-nourishing proteins and minerals. If you want healthier,thick, and strong hair, this oill is the best choice. Organic coconut milk also helps in hair growth, making them thick and long.
- Coconut oil contains a lot of valuable nutrients that are vital for proper hair growth. Nutrients like caprylic acid, lauric acid, mystiric acid and vitamins will strengthen the hair shaft and nourish the roots, promoting luscious strong hair strands.
- Coconut oil also maintains the scalp’s natural pH balance, creating a hair-friendly environment that inhibits microbes, bacteria and other fungi that can cause infections which promote hair loss.
2. Coconut Oil for Dandruff
Massager some coconut oill onto your scalp before bed every night and rinse off the next day. Coconut oil has antifungal properties which help eliminate flaky dandruff as well as fungal infections. This beauty oil will deep moisturize your hair, sealing moisture into hair roots to keep your scalp healthy and moisturized.
- A chemical-free conditioner for damaged hair might sound like a dream, but coconut oil is the real deal. Massage 3 to 5 tbsp (45 to 75 mL) melted coconut oil into hair from roots to tips.
- Secure hair in a loose bun and cover with a shower cap or an old t-shirt.
- Leave on for two hours or overnight to let the oil sink in.
- Rinse hair to remove oil.
3. Coconut Oil for Split Ends
Many claims that coconut like actually works better than any man-made treatments in the market, and because it’s 100% natural, free of silicone, alcohols, and other chemicals that can aggravate sensitive skin and hair.
Coconut Oil for Burns
Coconut oil is very much useful in treating burns as there are a lot of nutritional values in coconut oil. Burns are common but if they are major, you shouldn’t really be neglecting them. However, minor burns can also be treated with coconut oil effectively.
Is Coconut Oil good for Burns?
- Coconut oil helps in healing quickly and reduces scars. Be it boiling water burns or sunburns, chemicals or acids, coconut oil gives instant relief.
- Coconut oil has crucial properties making it very useful for treating burns and minimizes scars and marks caused by burns.
- Coconut oil is used for treating first-degree and second-degree burns.
- Only health care experts can treat third-degree burns and so coconut oil can be used after this formal medical treatment to help minimize scarring/ marks but cannot be used as a first response treatment to such severe injuries which often result from fire or severe chemical burns.
- Coconut is also used in order to keep the affected area moisturized, cool and also helps in reducing marks.
- It provides protection from inflammation of the damaged skin, protecting the person from infections and soothes the pain felt by the patient.
Coconut Oil for Face
Coconut oil is best suited for hair and then comes face. It can be a reason behind your glowing face. It has antioxidants that help in healing any issues with your skin and then improves it. Coconut Oil has antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties that further enhance its qualities and make it an excellent option for your face(1). The best part is that you can use it on both dry and oily skin as well.
How to Use Coconut Oil for Face?
- Coconut oil acts as a cleanser, moisturizer, and even make-up remover at times. This is, in fact, the most natural way of getting all those cosmetics down our faces.
- It’s also a good sunscreen too. Apply it directly on the face and massage it well in the right proportions for achieving the desired benefits.
- Add some baking soda to warm coconut oil and then use it as a face wash. But make sure that you get the proportions right.
- Also, adding a few drops of coconut oil to your lip balm helps in getting rid of dry lips.
- A few drops of coconut oil in your moisturizer and then applying it before sleeping can make your face acne-free.
- It also provides relief from sunburns and rashes.
- Scrubs made from coconut oil is very good for smooth skin.
- Coconut Oil for face performs all the necessary functions from providing nourishment and health to glow and beauty for your face.
Coconut Oil for Diaper Rash
Diaper rashes are very natural and are not avoidable. But then you can always get rid of them with a blink of your eye. Diaper rash occurs in babies of 4 to 15 months of age. Also known as diaper dermatitis, napkin dermatitis or ammonia dermatitis, diaper rash can be treated with coconut oil perfectly. The most important reason for the usage of this oil is that it is made naturally and doesn’t react to tender skin. There are other reasons too.
How To Use Coconut Oil For Diaper Rash?
- Coconut oil as already mentioned has anti-bacterial properties that help nourish the baby’s body.
- A coconut oil massage relaxes the baby and helps to sleep peacefully.
- Coconut oil possesses moisturizing properties which help the issues like baby butt rash and get rid of dry skin.
- The antimicrobial properties of this oil nourish the tender baby skin and keep it safe from infections.
- Coconut oil has excellent anti-fungal properties which eliminate the occurrence and spreading of fungus in the diaper-covered area.
- It is rich in vitamins and healthy fats that nourish the soft skin of the baby.
- Coconut oil prevents and cures baby acne. It contains lauric acid that kills the bacteria causing baby acne.
- You can also consume coconut oil after properly cooking it. It is a good source of fat and calories for babies.
- Coconut oil has anti-inflammatory properties that help babies during teething.
Coconut Oil for Sunburn
Coconut oil is considered to be extremely beneficial for sunburns. It has moisturizing properties and antioxidant components but do not mistake coconut oil for sunscreen. it doesn’t protect you from UV rays. It just has a sun protection action of 2.5 which can shield you for a short while. We all have grannies at home applying coconut oil on our bodies when we have a severe sunburn(2).
Coconut Oil is used to cure sunburn since a long time and it is better than applying any sunburn cream which can have its own side effects. This oil is the best natural remedy to ease the irritation and pain experienced during a sunburn.
How To Use Coconut Oil For Sunburn?
1. Pure Coconut Oil
Pure coconut oil can be used as it is on skin to protect ourselves and treat sunburn. Gently apply on the burnt portion and massage it for a while and you are good to go.
2. Mixed With Bath Oils
Add 5-6 drops of peppermint oil to quarter of this oil and then use it in a cool bath to provide quick relief against sunburns.
3. Mixed With Lavender Oils
2 tablespoons of coconut oil mixed with a good amount of aloe vera and a few drops of lavender oil cleanses the skin.
4. Mixed With Tea Tree Oils
Add 3 to 5 drops of tea tree oil in 1 – 2 tablespoons of this oil and apply to increase the anti-inflammatory properties of the resulting mixture and soothing the burnt area.
5. Mixed With Honey
When a mixture of equal parts of honey and coconut oil is applied on sunburnt skin regularly for an hour, the skin rejuvenates, stays moisturized and the pain is relieved.
6. Mixed With Castor Oils
When one part of castor oil is mixed with two parts of this oil, the mixture can be used to treat sunburns as it effectively coats the skin and prevents pollutants, irritants, and pathogens from affecting the exposed skin.
Coconut Oil for Acne
Acne is a widespread problem that is most prevalent in teenagers. Even though acne is not a serious disease, it can be excruciating especially when it is severe. Moreover, if you don’t cure acne properly and in time, it may leave permanent scars on the skin. Skin care experts often recommend using coconut oil for acne as it not only heals acne but also prevents scarring.
Coconut Oil for Vaginal Dryness
Vaginal dryness is one problem that requires immediate attention. Ignoring the symptoms is only going to make matters worse. By using natural remedies such as coconut oil for vaginal dryness, you can effectively get rid of this problem along with its symptoms.
Now if you have vaginal dryness, then the reasons could be the low levels of estrogen in your body. Now the reasons behind low estrogen are as follows:
- Childbirth and breastfeeding
- Removal of ovaries
- Chemotherapies for cancer
- Antidepressants and anti estrogen
How To Cure Vaginal Dryness With Coconut Oil?
Vaginal dryness treatment can be done with the help of coconut oil and here is
- Coconut oil when applied on vaginal skin a few times a day helps get rid of dryness.
- Make sure to do an allergy test before going for it finally. Also, do check with your doctor before applying it internally.
- Coconut oil can be consumed orally too. You can directly eat a spoonful or mix it in with a beverage, it will fight the urinary tract infection, but it may or may not help cure vaginal dryness.
- Another way of using this oil is drinking coconut water. They are two different things but are from the same source. Drinking coconut water flushes out the harmful bacteria from your system while getting rid of dehydration. Dehydration in most cases worsens the vaginal dryness you might be experiencing.
Coconut Oil and Alzheimers
Alzheimer’s is a type of dementia that causes problems with memory, thinking and behavior. Symptoms usually develop slowly and get worse over time, becoming severe enough to interfere with daily tasks(3). Alzheimer’s disease is related to the brain. It is a seriously disabling neuron generative disease of the brain.
Alzheimer’s disease begins meticulous but eventually progresses into severe disability and an inability to function safely and effectively in daily life. Alzheimer’s disease slowly damages and destroys such perceptional processes as memory, orientation, and speech. We can see this disease mostly in old age people above 65 but early onset Alzheimer’s dementia is not uncommon.
How To Use Coconut Oil for Alzheimer’s
- Coconut oil must be taken in small quantities. Mix a tablespoon of coconut oil into each meal that is given to the Alzheimer’s patients.
- Take a maximum of 3 tablespoons per meal and 2 before sleep.
- The effect starts after 2 hours post eating.
- You can also consume a tablespoon of this oil along with hot drinks.
- You can cook non-vegetarian food like beef, chicken, fish or eggs as they taste great. It will be a good idea to bake the food rather than frying.
- Make some coconut dips and sauces for the patients to consume from time to time.
Alzheimer patients can be helped with this oil in almost 60% of the cases as it consists of medium chain triglycerides MCT. Try a 50-50 mixture of MCT oil and this oil.
Side Effects of Coconut Oil:
Coconut oil has a saturated fat content of 90 percent. Oils high in saturated fats have been found to increase the risk of cardiovascular and other diseases. Coconut oil is safe when applied to the skin. It is also safe when taken by mouth in food amounts. But this oil contains a type of fat that can increase cholesterol levels.
So people should avoid eating coconut oil in excess. Coconut oil is advantageous when used as a medicine for a short while. Taking coconut oil in doses of 10 mL two or three times daily for up to 12 weeks can be safe.
Pregnancy and Breastfeeding:
It is better to avoid this oil when you are pregnant or are in the stage of breastfeeding. So if you are a user of coconut oil for a while, better give it a short term retirement.
Coconut oil is safe when applied to the skin for about one month. You can use coconut oil for oil pulling in kids but better change the oil once in a while as this oil is not prescribed all the time.
Coconut oil contains a type of fat that can increase cholesterol levels. Regularly eating meals containing coconut oil can increase levels of “bad” low-density lipoprotein cholesterol. This might be a problem for people who already have high cholesterol.
Coconut oil is well known for its versatile uses. It helps in skin care, hair care, and other makeup procedures. It is rich in minerals and vitamins which gives all-round nourishment of your body. It helps in removing makeup from the face.
You can gradually apply this oil on your face instead of makeup removing serums which are made chemically and contains harmful chemicals which is harmful to your skin. So you can apply this oil and remove makeup with the help of makeup removing pad.
You will notice that your makeup is removed without any problem and it has no left any dryness on your skin which you use to feel while using the serum.