Women have a lot of problems that aren’t spoken about enough. Yes, everybody talks about reproduction, but ladies, what about vaginal discharge, easily contracted uterine tract infections, the irritation that comes with sanitary napkins, and vaginal dryness? Nobody talks about this in detail; neither is there enough answers that solve our issues. The natural balance of the vagina can be disturbed easily and using coconut oil for vaginal dryness is the best answer to this irritating problem.
- Coconut Oil for Vaginal Dryness
- Coconut Oil and Vaginal Health – How are they related
- Other remedies
Coconut Oil for Vaginal Dryness
Coconut oil is extracted from the fleshy white part of the coconut which is the kernel of the coconut shell. Coconut oil is made up of a unique medium-chain fatty acid composition, which makes it an essential fat that has many benefits. And these benefits are bringing coconut oil into the light of fame and recognition. And did you know that there is more than one type of coconut oil? Although all of them have their benefits, some of them are healthier than others.
Here are the types of Coconut oils:
Partially Hydrogenated Coconut oil, it contains trans-fat and just like other trans-fat containing oils, this type of coconut oil isn’t healthy.
Refined Coconut oil, this type of fat is chemically processed and bleached. It is not the better choice when it comes to coconut oil.
Virgin Coconut oil, is extracted without using chemicals or high temperature keeping the natural benefits. This is the right choice of coconut oil and can be used for cooking as well.
Non-virgin coconut oil, non-refined coconut oil, cold pressed coconut oil and centrifuge extracted coconut oil are some other types of coconut oil available.
According to the way they are extracted and processed they have different uses and benefits and disadvantages.
Causes for vaginal dryness
The vagina is lined with a clear fluid that keeps it moist, thick, elastic and healthy. It follows the vagina lubricated, and the hormone responsible for this estrogen. To understand what causes this estrogen drop, let us explore a few causes of vaginal dryness.
- Childbirth and breastfeeding affect the body estrogen levels
- Removing the ovaries again bring about a lot of changes including altering estrogen levels
- Chemotherapy for treating cancer also causes vaginal dryness
- Allergies or douching causes vaginal dryness as well
- Antidepressants, anti oestrogen and specific medication causes vaginal dryness
Other benefits of Coconut oil
Coconut oil has many benefits apart from helping with vaginal dryness. I am going to mention a few below:
- Great for your hair! It locks the moisture in your hair, hydrates your scalp. Works excellent with treating dandruff among other scalp problems, and also brings back the natural shine while making your hair healthy.
- The best thing for your skin. Again, hydrates your skin and is a great moisturizer, it also has excellent anti-inflammatory properties, so it is beneficial for treating acne.
- Coconut oil can be used for cooking as well; it brings up the good cholesterol level in the body.
- It is excellent as a base before coloring your hair, and since it is chemical free, it’s the best choice.
- It also can be used before shaving as it won’t cause any irritation.
- It is good to release stress as it has antioxidants
- It is also great for asthma patients if they inhale coconut oil
- It helps fight urinary tract infections, yeast infections in the vagina and helps it restore its natural skin barrier functions. It fights vaginal dryness and its symptoms itching, burning, and irritation.
[ Read:Coconut Oil for Yeast Infections]
Coconut Oil and Vaginal Health – How are they related
Coconut oil is great to soften and moisturize the skin especially the delicate vaginal area. Using Coconut Oil as a Vaginal lubricant gives effective results. It has antibacterial properties that help it fight uterine tract infections and yeast infections to a certain extent; it is also a solution to any drug-resistant infections you might have like C. difficile. A healthy vagina is of utmost importance after all, and coconut oil being a natural remedy doesn’t have additives and is least likely to cause irritation or inflammation.
Researchers say that around sixty-five percent of women use coconut oil to treat vaginal dryness and find it beneficial. It acts as a barrier, is antibacterial and is readily available.
How to use Coconut oil for vaginal dryness?
- You can apply it directly to your vaginal skin — any amount you wish to use, a few times a day. But do an allergy test first by applying it to a patch of your skin to check if there is an appearance of a rash or redness. Take a dab of coconut oil and apply it on your forearm, keep checking the area repeatedly in a span of about ten hours, if there is any redness or rash that appears, then avoid using coconut oil. Also, do check with your doctor before applying it internally.
- You can consume it orally too. Some women try this to fight urinary tract infections. But do remember to do an allergy test first with a small amount. Also, you can directly eat a spoonful r mix it in with a beverage, it will fight the urinary tract infection, but it may or may not help with the vaginal dryness.
- Another way of using coconut oil is drinking coconut water. They are two different things, but re from the same source. Drinking coconut water flushes out the harmful bacteria from your system while getting rid of dehydration. Dehydration in most cases worsens the vaginal dryness you might be experiencing.
I cannot reiterate this point enough, do an allergy test before trying it, and you might have a reaction with redness of that patch of skin. If so, do not use coconut oil. Also, do check with a doctor, the problem you are suffering from may have a different solution and just using coconut oil might not be the solution to the issue. Always check with your doctor as to what is suited for you. You can try using coconut oil for vaginal dryness but if it doesn’t suit you and the discomfort continues or grows then it is advised to switch your treatment.
Dos and Don’ts
- If you are applying coconut oil to vaginal skin directly, then wear a party-liner to avoid stains on your underwear.
- Do use it two times a day for a while for best results; there isn’t a strict schedule you need to follow through.
- Don’t use it as a lube. Coconut oil has excellent antibacterial and antifungal properties, but they have no business during sex. It disturbs the delicate pH balance of your vagina. The vagina is an ecosystem on its own, and there are good and bad bacteria, by adding an antibacterial oil you are disrupting the ecosystem equilibrium. Also, coconut oil and other oil-based lubricants, in general, are not compatible with latex condoms or sex toys, so that is going to damper your style in bed.
Coconut oil has antibacterial properties which affect the pH balance and general equilibrium of your vagina. This leads to the risk of you contracting a new infection that adds to the problem rather than solving it.
Another issue is using coconut oil as lubricant, this doesn’t do well with latex condoms and might tear them, and this hinders the contraception and causes conception, something nobody would prefer.
- If Coconut oil isn’t your answer, then you can also go to your doctor for other alternatives like low-dose estrogen creams or tablets or selective estrogen receptor modulators.
- Another alternative is to use other vaginal moisturizers that might even be commercial and prescribe by your gynecologist.
- A clean diet with protein, greens, and good fats is also prevented vaginal dryness. You can avoid conventionally raised meats and dairy.
- Borage oil is another medicine that you can use to treat vaginal dryness. Borage oil is extracted from borage seed of the borage plant that has nutritious fatty acids and antioxidants.
- Give up smoking and maintain a balanced diet. The healthier you eat, the healthier is your vagina. Fruits do help a lot with the nature of the vagina, they don’t just help you vagina fight dryness but also make it smell good.
- Exercising also helps you control the hormonal balance in your body thus keeping everything down there healthy and happy.
- Drink water. It is simple. The more water you drink, the more hydrated your body is. The water helps keep your body well moisturised and thus your vagina remains well moisturised.
- Another tip is to stay sexually active, the dryness can also be due to the lack of blood flow to the vagina. Sex increases that blood flow and this helps your vagina stay healthy.
Vaginal dryness is one problem that requires immediate attention. Ignoring the symptoms is only going to make matters worse. By using natural remedies such as coconut oil for vaginal dryness, you can effectively get rid of this problem along with its symptoms. Medical science does not offer any effective cure for this condition. With natural remedies and coconut oil for vaginal dryness, you can get rid of the problem from its roots and enjoy a pain-free life.