Men and women do a lot of work out as people have begun becoming health conscious. Whenever the muscles get overstretched on a repeated basis, stretch marks are formed on the skin which actually looks very abnormal. Stretch marks are a common occurrence among people all around the globe.
Nobody is spared in this regard- neither men nor women. They may appear differently but in no way can be called unusual. Coconut oil for stretch marks is an amazingly effective way of preventing, reducing and healing and it does not even pose to any side effects.
What are Stretch Marks?
Also known as striae, stretch marks are scars that are found to result from too quick stretching of the skin or its stretching beyond its elastic capacities. People with fair complexions get to see them pinkish in color.
In the same way, for people with dark complexions, stretch marks come with a lighter shade than their skin tone. No, stretch marks are not dangerous but it never means that they are comfortable and always desired. But do not worry if stretch marks are your problem because coconut oil for stretch marks stands with you as the right and natural cure.
Causes and Risk factors
When the lower layer of the connective tissue i.e. skin gets stretched beyond its elastic limit or capacity, it leads to tearing. The skin weakens and the collagen fibers within its layers break apart when it gets stretched up to its breaking point.
The blood vessels underneath the skin start showing as a result of this, later leading to stretch marks. Glucocorticoid hormone in the blood is considered to be responsible for the formation of stretch marks as it prevents fibroblasts from forming the elastin or collagen fibers.
Stretch marks may show up because of many reasons. Some of these are –
- Because of pregnancy, stretch marks are most likely to form. These stretch marks after pregnancy or during pregnancy are medically termed as Striae gravidarum.
- A few genetic syndromes may also lead to stretch marks.
- Dry skin, being less elastic is more prone towards stretch marks than hydrated and properly nourished skin.
- Hormonal changes and puberty may see stretch marks during breast formation in many females leading to breast stretch marks.
- Weight gain or weight loss leading to a rapid change in one’s skin shape may also lead to itchy stretch marks.
- Weight lifting or muscle building also stretch the skin beyond its elastic capacity and may lead to stretch marks.
[Read: Essential Oils for Stretch Marks]
Why to use Coconut Oil for stretch marks?
Using coconut oil for stretch marks can be beneficial both for the prevention and cure of this issue.
- Coconut oil has an upper hand above many other oils and products as it is high in lauric acid because of which it gets easily absorbed into the deep layers of the skin where it prevents radical damage and influences collagen production positively.
- It has got antimicrobial, antifungal and antiviral properties that prove out to be suitable and helpful for the maintenance and repair of your skin.
- The appearance of damaged and dry skin which has high risk of getting stretch marks is immensely improved by the application of coconut oil.
- Vitamin E present in coconut oil as antioxidants is greatly helpful in reducing stretch marks and healing them by restoring the elasticity of your skin. People who deal with loose or sagging skin can find this oil of some really good help.
- Coconut oil is highly emollient in nature and helps in keeping one’s skin hydrated. Because of this reason, the skin becomes more elastic and less prone towards stretch marks.
- It does not only help in stretch mark prevention but cures as well. The anti-inflammatory nature of coconut oil reduces the healing time of the previously existing stretch marks and also the itchy stretch marks by hydrating your skin.
- Coconut oil can be used as an amazing moisturizer on dry skin and work against red stretch marks. It also delays wrinkles and sagging skin along with being helpful with skin problems like dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis etc.
How to use Coconut Oil for Stretch Marks
Coconut oil can be used in a number of ways to act against stretch marks. You can use coconut oil topically or even in your bath to silken your skin. Massaging coconut oil is the best method to be employed into use. Rub this oil on your abdomen, legs or whichever part of the body to prevent stretch marks on thighs and stomach. For pregnant women, the massage needs to be gentle and done twice or thrice a day. After this, one can rinse it with warm water or a mild soap.
[Read: Castor Oil for Stretch Marks]
Apart from taking the massage from plain coconut oil, you can also mix it with other oils or products after confirming with your healthcare expert. If you mix coconut oil with lemon oil and gently massage it over the stretch marks, it would immensely help in brightening your skin and lightening the stretch marks. You can also mix it with castor oil, turmeric, sugar and salt or olive oil for obtaining positive results against stretch marks on stomach and other parts.
DIY Coconut Oil Recipes for stretch marks
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup of a softening agent (coconut oil)
- Lemon Juice
Take one cup of sugar and mix it with a softening agent like coconut oil. If you are allergic to coconut oil, you can use almond oil to gain a mixture with fine consistency. Add lemon juice to this and now this is ready to be used. Scrub it on the stretch marks and leave it for 8-10 minutes. Repeat this several times a week.
- ¼ cup of organic coffee grounds
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons of warm raw organic coconut oil
Mix all the ingredients together. Put this in a jar and place inside the microwave for nearly 10 seconds. Gently scrub the obtained product on the affected areas. Wash it off after 10-15 minutes. Repeat this procedure for 2-3 times in a week.
[Also Read: Natural Remedies for Stretch Marks]
Coconut oil is normally considered to be safe for you but even the best of things may cause trouble if not used properly. Side effects may show up in some cases.
- One may have to suffer if he/she uses coconut oil for stretch marks while being allergic to
- People allergic to hazelnuts or walnuts may have sensitivity towards coconut oil which may lead to issues.
- Make sure to use natural organic coconut oil for your face instead of refined oil.
- Be cautious to massage gently during pregnancy.
DOs and DONTs
- Do consult with your healthcare expert before using it or mixing coconut oil with any other oils.
- Gain proper knowledge about the right proportion of the oil to be used.
- Do not complicate the massage techniques. Simplicity here is the best.
- Do not use coconut oil in case of any kind of allergy towards coconuts.
Other Home Remedies
- Water: Drink plenty of water. It is believed to be helpful in reducing future chances of stretch marks.
- Aloe vera: Through clinical evidence, it has been made quite clear that aloe vera proves out to be a solid cure against stretch marks.
- Hyaluronic acid: Hyaluronic acid plays an important role in stimulating collagen production and stands strong against stretch marks. One can intake it through capsules or its extract.
Getting rid of stretch marks is something that each one of us desires for after having them. Coconut oil for stretch marks is quite effective but it is not possible to heal stretch marks overnight. As it has been wisely said that prevention is better than cure, one should also be cautious beforehand.
[Read: Get Rid of Stretch Marks for Men]
Use coconut oil to keep your skin hydrated and moisturized which in turn helps in maintaining your skin and preventing it from scarring or developing stretch marks. This oil comes with hardly any side effects and if used with proper care and cautions can help in solving your issue of stretch marks in the best possible ways.