Are you even aware of how much people think about their hair and problems related to it? Well, the zillions of hair care products and a plethora of remedies concerning hair growth say it all. A global study states that by the age of 35, 40% of men will experience noticeable hair loss and at the age of 40, women experience noticeable hair loss according to the American Academy of Dermatology.
You might not believe in magic potions that Professor Snape churned out in his laboratory but did you know that onion juice for hair growth is as remarkably effective as his magic potions if not more? A study quotes that onion juice shows 87% success rate for hair regrowth for the individuals who followed effective ways of onion juice for hair loss for consecutive eight weeks.
Just control that remark of amaze right there and read on to learn more about how to use onion juice for hair growth(1).
What is onion juice?
Onion (Scientific name: Allium cepa) is a vegetable of bulbous structure that belongs to the family of Chinese onion, chive, leek, and garlic. The origin of onion lies in the regions of eastern Asia. It consists of a bulb and a fan of greenish-blue leaves. The onion bulb is pungent, and the leaves can be pounded with a pestle to extract the juice that is onion juice.
Onion juice is rich in phytochemical compounds and antioxidants. Onion juice possesses a host of health benefits for the scalp and hair. It helps to strengthen the hair follicles, stimulate the growth of hair, and make it shiny and lustrous.
5 Reasons to Use Onion Juice for Good Health of Hair and Scalp
1. Stimulates blood circulation
Massaging the scalp with onion juice helps in the stimulation of blood flow in the scalp. It helps to nourish the hair follicles and restore the lost nutrients to the hair and scalp.
2. Prevents hair breakage
Onion juice contains sulfur that helps to prevent hair thinning and minimize hair breakage and split ends.
3. Possesses anti-inflammatory properties
Onion juice is rich in anti-inflammatory compounds that work to alleviate scalp infection and inflammation.
4. Onion juice is antioxidant
Onion juice is rich in antioxidants that work to prevent the hair fall and premature graying of hair.
5. Thick and healthy hair
Onion juice helps to nourish the hair with its rich nutritional composition. Onion juice can also fight against lice with its strongly pungent nature.
[Also Read: Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair Growth]
How to prepare onion juice at home
- Peel an average-sized onion and slice it into four parts
- Transfer the onion pieces to an electric grinder or juicer and blend them into a smooth paste
- Add a few teaspoons of water to the onion paste and then strain out the mixture of onion juice and water with the help of a muslin cloth
- The onion juice is now ready for use in hair masks.
Top 4 DIYs with onion juice for hair growth
1. Olive oil and onion juice
The application of a mixture of olive oil and onion juice(2) is the most effective use of onion juice for hair growth.
How to use?
- Take three tablespoons of onion juice in a dish.
- Add two tablespoons of organic olive oil to it and stir well.
- Massage the scalp with the blend of onion juice and olive oil.
- Wear a shower cap to preserve the mask of onion juice and olive oil on the scalp for about two hours.
- Rinse the mask off with a mild shampoo.
- Follow this remedy twice a week to get healthy and dandruff-free tresses.
- Olive oil contains several healthy fatty acids such as oleic acid, linoleic acid, palmitic acid, etc. and several compounds of squalene and terpenes. The fatty acids help to hydrate the scalp and make it soft and supple.
- The blend of olive oil and onion juice acts as an emollient to soften the hair and make it shiny and lustrous. Olive oil contains vitamin E that helps to fight against toxic free radicals and protect the scalp against oxidative stress.
- The combination of olive oil and onion juice promotes the growth of long and thick hair and keeps the scalp healthy and nourished.
[Also Read: Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair Growth]
2. Organic honey and onion juice
The blend of organic honey and onion juice works wonders for the growth of thick and healthy hair.
How to use?
- Take one-fourth a cup of onion juice in a dish.
- Add a tablespoon of organic honey to the onion juice and stir gently to form a smooth paste.
- Massage your scalp gently with the mixture of organic honey and onion juice. Apply the mixture to every strand of hair from the roots to the tips.
- Keep the mask on for about half an hour.
- Rinse the mask off with a herbal shampoo.
- Follow this remedy twice a week to make the hair grow faster.
- Organic honey is a rich source of antioxidants, antifungal, and antibacterial properties. It is useful for the cure of dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis. The antioxidants protect the scalp against hair damage caused by oxidative stress.
- The topical application of honey on the scalp helps to hydrate the scalp and induce the growth of hair. The humectant property of honey works to moisturize the scalp and condition the hair making it appear smooth and shiny.
- The combination of honey and onion juice is remarkably good for the health and nourishment for the hair.
[Read: Rice Water For Hair Growth]
3. Plain yogurt and onion juice
The combination of plain yogurt(3) and onion juice is excellent for hair growth and beauty.
How to use?
- Take two tablespoons of onion juice in a dish.
- Add two tablespoons of plain yogurt to the onion juice and stir gently to prepare a smooth mask.
- Smear your hair and scalp with the mask of yogurt and onion juice.
- Rinse the mask off with a mild shampoo after about an hour.
- Follow this remedy twice or thrice a week to make your hair soft and voluminous.
- Yogurt is excellent for fighting against hair loss and balding. It helps to hydrate the scalp and nourish it with its rich nutritional composition. It controls the shedding of hair by unblocking the clogged follicles on the scalp.
- The topical application of yogurt helps to soothe the scalp. Its antimicrobial property is good for the cure of scalp infection.
- The combination of yogurt and onion juice is profoundly useful for the health and beauty of the hair. It helps to balance the pH value of the scalp and maintain its health and nourishment.
[Also Read: Yogurt For Hair Loss]
4. Castor oil and onion juice
Castor oil and onion juice are both potent hair growth inducers at their respective places, and when they both combine, the result is fantastic.
How to use?
- Take two tablespoons full of onion juice and two tablespoons of castor oil in a bowl
- Mix it thoroughly till it attains a perfect blend
- Apply over your scalp with the help of your hands
- You can also use a cotton swab to apply it over the scalp
- Massage it thoroughly and keep the mix on your heat for at least an hour
- Wash it off with the help of a mild shampoo
- Castor oil is a well-known hair growth booster that helps to nourish the hair from its roots.
- It is also very beneficial for the stimulation of hair follicles that help to produce new hair and also enhances the growth of existing hair over the scalp.
- Castor oil and onion juice help to thicken the hair from its roots. It also assists in repairing the damage that occurs to the cuticles.
- It also helps fight hair fall by strengthening the roots and provides your scalp with a denser volume
Alternatively, you can also try onion oil for hair growth.
Onion oil is one the proven a proven remedy to boost your hair regrowth. Though a healthy and nourishing diet is the most sort out a method to have a lustrous mane, onion oil surely is one of the widely used ayurvedic solutions for all the hair woes.
How to use it?
- Take enough oil in a bowl (depends on your hair length and volume)
- Make multiple partitions in your hair and apply it gently on the scalp.
- Leave it on overnight or for about an hour. Wash your hair, as usual, the next day.
- For desired results, repeat this process thrice a week.
A few words of caution
- If the onion juice mask gets into your eyes by mistake, then wash the eyes with plain cold water repeatedly until the stinging sensation subsides.
- Do not apply onion juice directly to the scalp without diluting it. Conduct a patch test to make sure that your scalp is not reactive to it.
- Do you remember the way Rowling introduced Fleur Delacour in the novel Goblet of Fire of the Harry Potter series? If not, then let’s say that is the exact description of hair that we daydream. Her soft and luxuriant curls were blowing gently in the breeze, what wouldn’t one do for hair like that? Well here’s what you can do. Try onion juice for hair growth and smooth and shiny curls. Apply the masks and adhere to a balanced diet of nutritious foods to make your hair grow faster and lovelier.