Yogurt benefits hair health in multiple ways. Firstly, it helps in getting rid of dandruff. As yogurt contains anti-fungal, good bacteria, it is excellent for soothing the scalp. Yogurt also controls hair fall by enhancing scalp health and reducing follicular clogging.
Finally, it regulates the acidity of the scalp and monitors sebum production. Yogurt cools the scalp. Yogurt hydrates the scalp and rejuvenates hair growth. It keeps hair moisturized and hydrated. It even prevents damage of the hair or skin due to photoaging.
So, if you’re wondering why and how yogurt benefits for hair can be achieved, let’s delve deeper into it.
Why Yogurt for Hair Works?
Yogurt is rich in good bacteria. This is why it is excellent for revitalizing hair growth. It contains bacteria such as Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium(1). These good bacteria fight microbes and germs that cause itching and fungal infections. Keep your scalp healthy by using yogurt for hair health.
Whether it’s a Greek yogurt hair mask or just plain, homemade curd, these anti-fungal agents have a lot of benefits for hair care. Primarily, the probiotic bacteria induce good hair health. Eating yogurt results in thicker hair growth because of the epithelial follicular anagen stage shift.
Probiotic bacteria in curd also produce hyperacidity and regulate pH levels. This property of yogurt serves to enhance the shininess and luster of hair. Good bacteria are at the core of healthy hair. Gut microbiota exerts a beneficial effect on hair and skin.
Poor hair health, for this reason, is often associated with medical conditions. For thick, healthy, and long hair, opt for yogurt in all its forms. Eat yogurt for healthy hair. Apply it topically as a hair mask. All the benefits of this probiotic food help boost hair health.
[Also Read: Health Benefits of Yogurt]
How to Use Yogurt for Hair?
Yogurt benefits for hair health are many. It eliminates root causes for hair loss like dandruff, poor scalp health, or itchiness. Here are the different ways you can use yogurt for hair growth.
1. Yogurt, Lemon and Honey Hair Pack
The combination of yogurt, lemon juice, and honey(2) is excellent for your skin. Lemon contains antioxidants which soothe the skin. Yogurt is anti-fungal, so it wards off hair infections. Honey is a natural antiseptic for curing scalp infections.
- Take two large tablespoons of yogurt with natural honey.
- Squeeze lemon juice into it. Once you have done this, make a paste containing the three ingredients.
- Gently massage the mixture into your scalp.
- Leave this on for 15 – 20 minutes, before washing it with a mild shampoo.
- Repeat as often as required for healthy, shiny hair.
[Read: Witch Hazel for Hair]
2. Fenugreek and Yogurt for Hair
Fenugreek and yogurt for hair growth is a formula that works well. Once you use yogurt as a natural remedy, it serves to boost hair growth. This mask is an excellent choice for enhancing hair health. Yogurt is a potent cleanser, and it wards off dandruff caused by infections. Fenugreek also possesses some powerful healing properties.
- Use yogurt, and powdered fenugreek with onion juice in the ratio 3:5:2.
- Once the mixture is ready, make a paste and apply this mask to your hair.
- Leave this on for 20-30 minutes till it dries.
- Then, wash and shampoo your hair before patting the strands dry.
- Use this hair mask for instant relief from dandruff. Apply the paste twice a week for quick benefits.
3. Greek Yogurt Hair Mask
Greek yogurt hair mask is perfect for treating hair fall. This natural, organic yogurt contains all the gut-friendly microbiota, which can improve your hair’s growth.
- Take three tablespoons of Greek yogurt. To this, add a paste made of curry and henna leaves.
- Grind the yogurt with the paste and apply this onto the scalp.
- Leave it for 60 minutes, before washing your hair.
- When used regularly, this Greek yogurt hair mask will prevent hair greying and hair fall.
[Also Read: Benefits of Greek Yogurt]
4. Yogurt and Gooseberry Mixture
This potent home remedy is ideal for thinning hair. Gooseberries contain Vitamin C and other nutrients. This reason is why the fruit is recommended for healthy hair. Yogurt adds soothing and calming effects to cool the scalp further.
- Mix yogurt with gooseberry powder in the ratio 1:2.
- Then, apply the mixture on the scalp. Keep it on for 20-25 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm or even cold water.
- Through regular use of this hair mask, you will avert hair thinning and hair fall.
5. Olive Oil and Yogurt
Olive oil contains dominant terpenes(3), and this exerts powerful therapeutic properties for hair health. Yogurt serves to improve the quality of hair growth. Together, these ingredients can combat hair fall.
- Mix the yogurt and olive oil.
- This will enable the formation of a thick paste.
- Once the mixture is ready, apply it on your scalp.
- Let it stay for fifteen minutes.
- Wash the mixture off with a gentle shampoo.
[Also Read: Olive Oil DIY for Hair Growth]
6. Yogurt Massage
If the combinations of ingredients are not easy to procure, try to use regular, homemade yogurt or Greek yogurt to massage your scalp. Every 1-2 times in a week, rub yogurt on the scalp and knead it for 5-10 minutes, so the head absorbs essential nutrients from this product.
Let the yogurt mask stay on for 20 minutes and then wash it off with mild shampoo and water.
7. Hibiscus Leaves, Coconut Oil and Yogurt Mask
As the ultimate aim is hair growth, a direct solution is needed. Try coconut oil and yogurt with another exotic ingredient – hibiscus leaves.
- Collect hibiscus leaves, yogurt, and coconut oil.
- Grind the leaves and form a thick paste.
- Start making balls out of it and drop these in hot coconut oil for 10 minutes.
- Let the oil cool off and once this is over, apply the oil on the head till effective changes are seen. The combination promotes hair growth.
So, if you need a rescue from hair thinning, premature greying, or hair fall, try yogurt. This marvelous cure for hair problems is easy to use. Yogurt is a perfect homemade remedy for hair problems with 100% natural results.
Try combining yogurt with fenugreek, coconut oil, henna leaves, and gooseberry, among other ingredients, for the best outcomes. Yogurt is a robust anti-fungal agent, and it destroys hair pathogens and scalp microbes that may be causing poor hair health.
1. Can Yogurt for Hair Be Used with Other Ingredients?
Another benefit of yogurt for hair is that it can be used with other ingredients. Yogurt for hair is excellent when combined with other natural ingredients like henna or curry leaves, hibiscus leaves, coconut oil, powdered fenugreek, lemon or onion juice.
2. Is Greek Yogurt Better or Will Plain Curd Also Work?
Greek yogurt or plain, homemade curd can be equally effective. But the critical point to remember is to use natural, 100% organic curd. Otherwise, there can be side effects, due to additives added to the curd. If you are topically applying yogurt, make sure it is unsweetened and natural.