Isn’t Rapunzel the dreamy character that all girls adore and all boys get awestruck at! Those healthy, thick and long tresses are just mesmerizing to watch, right! But you would be shocked to know that a village named Huangluo in Japan has a certification in Guinness book as ‘World’s longest hair village’ and is also popularly known as ‘The Land of Rapunzel.’ Amazed! Don’t be as it’s a dire reality that has one secret ingredient behind it and that’s none other than Rice Water.
Rice water has been in use for the past many centuries by the women of this village as a home remedy to wash their hair. Read ahead as we tell you why they have been using it and how is rice water for hair growth the ultimate remedy that you can ever find!
A Few Fun Facts about Rice Water
Rice water is the suspension mixture of rice starch in water. The process of obtaining rice water is quite easy. It is a century old secret behind the exotic long tresses of the Noble ladies of the Japanese Imperial Court in 800 AD. Rice water has been a potent remedy for rinsing hair to attain enhanced hair growth and nourishment across the world.
Rice water not only nourishes the hair and provides it strength, but also it helps in skin tightening and lightening, enhancing the blood circulation, promoting cell growth and rejuvenating the skin from within.
Follow through with the recipe for preparing rice water at home with the help of simple ingredients. The milky white liquid possesses a host of health and beauty benefits. It is especially beneficial for enhancing hair growth and making it glow with health and nourishment.
Rice water also has types!
Two types of rice water can be used for rejuvenating your locks-
- Plain Rice water
- Fermented Rice water
Which is better, plain rice water or fermented?
The pH level of hair is slightly lower than that of rice water. The process of fermentation of rice water brings down the pH level that aids in protecting the hair by closing the hair cuticles.
Fermented rice water helps to promote the hair growth and adds nourishment in a better manner as the fermentation enhances the vitamin and nutritional content of the water. This aids in proper nourishment of hair follicles that is elementary for hair growth.
The process of fermentation creates a compound in rice water known as ‘Pitera’ which is responsible for cell regeneration. It has loads of amino acids, minerals, organic acids and vitamins that adds to the health of your hair and skin.
Fermentation, on the whole, enhances the beneficial properties of rice water but choosing one amongst the two fairly depends on the level of damage and repair required. You can select both as per the health of your hair.
The Secret Recipe of Rice Water
1.Plain Rice Water
- 5 cups of plain rice
- 2-3 cups of purified water
- Rinse the rice grains in water until the water becomes clear and grains get entirely rid of impurities. Discard the water and keep the rice aside.
- Fill the saucepan with water and add the grains to it. Put the pan on a medium flame and set the rice to boil. Keep boiling until the rice gets completely dissolved.
- Remove the saucepan from the fire and strain the water out into the Pyrex cup. The rice water is now ready.
2.Fermented Rice Water
- ½ cup rice
- 2 cups of water
- Take the rice and water in a bowl and soak the rice for 15- 20 minutes.
- Then drain the water and transfer it in a glass bottle.
- Keep the bottle as it is for 2-3 days for fermentation to happen.
- When it starts emitting a sour smell, then shift the bottle to the refrigerator to stop fermentation.
- It is recommended to add 2-3 warm cups of water depending upon the quantity you use to dilute the water as using it concentrated is not good for the scalp and hair.
Five Hidden Benefits of Rice Water that you Cannot Believe
The application of rice water to the hair and scalp works like magic for the growth of hair.
1. Helps in fighting frizz and dryness of hair
The topical application of rice water to the scalp helps in the hydration of dry and blistering scalp. It combats against frizz by unclogging the blocked pores on the scalp. It helps to get rid of excess oil and sebum from the scalp and makes the hair smooth and frizz-free.
2. Aids in the growth of hair
Rinsing the hair with rice water is beneficial for the health and strength of the hair follicles. It helps to condition the hair and stimulate healthy circulation of blood in the scalp thereby making the follicles healthy and robust. Strong hair follicles aid in the growth of thick and long hair. It can also help in making the hair more voluminous.
3. Helps in curing the itchiness of scalp and dandruff
A scalp infested with dandruff is the worst enemy of healthy and beautiful hair. Soak the hair and scalp with rice water to moisturize the scalp and get rid of the dandruff flakes. Fight the itchiness of the scalp with rice water which helps to cure dry blisters and get rid of excess oil, dirt, and sebum from the scalp.
4. Works to reduce split ends
Split ends can be messy and annoying, but there is nothing that a cup of rice water cannot fix. The chief causes of split ends are exposure of the hair to pollution and improper maintenance of hair. It is rich in amino acids which work to reduce split ends and cure hair damage.
5. Protects against hair damage
The topical application of rice water to the scalp helps in decreasing surface friction and increasing hair elasticity. Rice water is rich in carbohydrate compounds known as inositol which is remarkably effective for the repair of damaged hair. The inositol remains in the hair long after rinsing off the rice water and shields the hair from further damage.
Top 2 DIY recipes of using rice water for hair growth and beauty treatment at home
1. Green tea and rice water for hair growth
Rinsing the hair with a mixture of rice water and green tea is a remarkably effective use of rice water for hair growth.
How to use?
- A mixture of green tea and rice water can drive out all kinds of hair troubles.
- For the preparation of green tea, you need a cup of water and a tablespoon of dried green tea leaves. You can also use tea bags instead of tea leaves.
- Fill the saucepan with water and heat it over a medium flame. Let the water reach its boiling point.
- Add the green tea leaves to the water in the saucepan and keep boiling until the water turns greenish.
- Take the green tea off the fire and then keep it aside for some time.
- Let the infusion steep for about 10-15 minutes.
- Strain the green tea out into a cup and let it simmer down to room temperature.
- Add half a cup of rice water to the green tea and wait until the mixture cools down completely.
- Rinse your hair with a mixture of rice water and green tea. Follow through with this home remedy at least once a week for the cure of stunted hair growth.
Benefits of using green tea and rice water for hair growth
- Green tea is rich in catechins that work to inhibit the adverse effects of DHT, one of the leading causes of hair fall.
- Green tea contains tocopherols, carotenoids, ascorbic acid, selenium, and zinc which work in unison to promote the healthy growth of hair. It is rich in polyphenolic compounds which stimulate the hair follicles and make the hair thick and durable.
- The anti-inflammatory nature of the blend of rice water and green tea helps in the cure of scalp inflammation and infection.
- Rinsing the hair with green tea and rice water mixture helps to promote healthy blood circulation and nourish the scalp with a host of vitamins and minerals.
2. Mustard, olive oil, and fermented rice water
Soak the hair with a mixture of fermented rice water, olive oil, and mustard to promote hair growth.
How to use?
- Add a tablespoon of powdered mustard to half a cup of fermented rice water and stir well to make a viscous paste.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the paste and mix until it becomes smooth. Add more fermented rice water or mustard to adjust its consistency.
- Smear the paste all over the scalp but make sure that it does not spread to the hair.
- Leave it on for about 15-20 minutes and then rinse it off with a herbal shampoo.
- Follow through with this home remedy for the healthy growth of hair.
Benefits of using mustard, olive oil, and rice water for hair growth
- Mustard is rich in anti-fungal and antibacterial properties which work to enhance the health of the scalp by fighting against all kinds of microbial infections.
- Olive oil helps in nourishing the scalp with essential fatty acids.
- The blend of mustard, olive oil, and rice water works to hydrate the scalp and make the hair thick, smooth, glossy, and healthy.
A few words of caution
- Do not apply rice water to the scalp in excess as it might leave a sticky residue.
- Do not use chemical shampoos and hair masks.
Are you daydreaming of flaunting a giant messy bun at the next party or perhaps you can’t wait to try out new hairstyles, but your hair is still too short? Well then snap out of your reveries and adopt the DIY recipes of using rice water for hair growth to make your hair grow faster and more beautiful. Stick to a balanced diet and drink plenty of water to preserve the health of the hair and scalp.