Having a bad hair day? Don’t worry; castor oil is the perfect solution for your hair problems. Castor oil can do wonders for the health of your hair. It is widely used for its medical as well as therapeutic benefits. It is said that castor oil gets all its benefits from its high concentration of unsaturated fatty acids.
Castor oil is extracted from castor beans of the Ricinus Communis plant. It is a multi-purpose vegetable oil with medicinal, industrial and pharmaceutical benefits. Though castor oil has a strong taste, it has multiple benefits for your body, aiding with the prevention of constipation to building up immunity.
Castor oil also has natural antibacterial and antifungal properties that can have multiple health benefits. It is high in vitamin E, protein and fat such as omega -6 and omega-3. It also is high in an acid called ricinoleic acid, which makes it extremely beneficial for the hair and skin. It can be used to treat acne, skin conditions, hair loss, rashes and much more.
Perhaps we should try getting a better glance at the facts and so why not take a look at the details below
Castor oil for Hair Problems
Castor oil(1) can be directly applied to the skin, and it is quite safe to use. Since it has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and moisturizing properties, it can be used in multiple ways for various purposes. It can be used as an active agent in household items as well such as cleaning products or paint.
Having such medicinal properties, it can be used to treat various medical conditions. Health experts state it is beneficial in aiding digestion. The ricinoleic acid also helps speed up the digestion process.
Castor oil can treat various skin conditions such as acne, psoriasis and increase moisture. It aids in hair growth not only on the scalp but the eyebrows and eyelashes as well. Due to the presence of this acid, it can do wonders for the face.
One can make home remedies and use castor oil as a carrier oil as well. One can add it the existing products for better hair and skin. One can make various things from hair masks to face packs with the help of castor oil.
Although it has a thick consistency, it can help make the hair, on the scalp as well as the eyelashes and eyebrows thicker. Castor oil is rich in antibacterial and antifungal properties can be beneficial to fight against hair, scalp and follicle damage and prevent breakage.
Castor oil is also helpful in aiding circulation towards the scalp which boosts hair growth. Castrol oil replenishes the scalps natural oils and can reverse the damage caused by the chemicals in various hair products. Castor oil also supports the keratin in the hair, boosting the shine, increase in softness and moisture of the hair.
Types Of Castor Oil For Hair Problems
There are various types of castor oil one can use for hair problems. These here are the best types of oil one can use.
Organic Cold-Pressed Castor Oil
Cold pressed castor oil is freely available in the market, and one would have heard this name quite often if they are looking for castor oil. When the term cold pressed is used. It refers to the action of directly removing the oil from the seed without the use of heat.
When overheated, they may deplete the nutrients from the oil. Cold pressed castor oil usually has a pale yellow color.
Jamaican Black Castor Oil for Hair Growth
The Jamaican black castor oil process usually involves roasting the seeds and then pressing them to extract oil. The ashes then are added to the oil and mixed. This gives the oil its black color. The nutritional composition of both the cold pressed and the black Jamaican castor oil is the same, except the black Jamaican castor oil is more alkaline.
Hydrogenated Castor Oil
Hydrogenated castor oil is made from hydrogenating pure castor oil, also called castor wax, with the aid of a nickel catalyst. It is brittle, insoluble in water and has no fragrance. It is widely used in various cosmetics, varnishes, and polishes.
Benefits of Castor Oil For Hair
As one can see, the benefits of castor oil are multiple and so varied. It can help in every aspect, from hair loss to dandruff.
1. Healthy Hair growth
Wondering how to boost up the hair growth and get longer darker hair? Well, the answer is right here. The use of castor oil promotes hair growth. It aids in boosting circulation of the blood to the scalp and the hair follicles, which in turn results in rapid hair growth.
The oil also has omega-9 fatty acids which nourish the hair. Though it’s a little thick, mixing the oil with a diluter or another oil helps. It will guarantee healthy hair growth and thicker hair.
[Also Read: Emu Oil for Hair]
2. Reduces Dandruff and scalp problems
Having antifungal and antibacterial properties, castor oil ensures protection to the scalp and hair. It fights dandruff and conditions that can create irritation in the scalp(2) and hamper hair growth giving you a healthy scalp.
3. Thickens hair
Being rich in both omega-6 and omega-9, Castrol oil not only boosts hair growth but also thicken the strands of hair. It makes the hair grow lusciously thick, robust, beautiful and shiny.
[Also Read: Rice Water For Long Thick Hair ]
4. Conditions And Adds Shine
Instead of spending a lot of money on expensive products that have various chemicals in them, why not use castor oil. One can mix the oil in their leave in conditioner. It will make the hair softer, lock in moisture which will prevent frizzy, unmanageable hair.
To add the shine back, one can apply some warm castor oil to the hair, wash it after half an hour and see the magic happen. One can also leave the oil overnight.
5. Prevents premature greying
With all the nutrients and properties it has, castor oil also helps in the prevention of premature greying. The circulation towards the scalp gets boosted due to the oil and this aids in ensuring protection to the hair, making it look younger and healthier. Castor oil also aids in darkening the hair. So not only does on get thick, luscious hair but also darker hair.
6. Gets rid of split ends
Yes, you read that right. Not only does it aid in hair growth, but it also protects the hair preventing and repairing split ends. It indeed boosts overall conditions for a healthy head.
7. Eyelashes and eyebrows
Like stated earlier, the fats in the oil boost the growth of hair on your eyelashes as well as eyebrows. Making them thick, long and shiny.
How to use castor oil for hair growth
There are various ways one can use castor oil. Following are some of the most popular ways of using castor oil for hair growth:
One can directly apply a few drops of oil on the scalp, hair, eyelashes, and eyebrows. However, the oil may be too thick to spread evenly. One can always dilute the oil with another oil such as coconut or almond oil. Keep the proportion 1:1 and apply all over the scalp and hair. Leave it on for half an hour; one can also leave it on overnight. Wash it off properly with shampoo and conditioner.
DIY’s – Hair Masks
One can always add a few drops of castor oil to their hair serum or leave in conditioner for that extra shine and softness.
Hair mask for dandruff
- Mix one tablespoon of castor oil and one tablespoon of olive oil and squeeze half a lemon
- Apply this on the roots of the hair for 30 minutes
- Wash with shampoo and conditioner
- Add three tablespoons of castor oil to 1 tablespoon of jojoba or argan oil
- Add this to a bottle (preferably with dropper)
- Shut the bottle tight and shake it well
- Use the dropper to apply along the scalp
- Massage it in for 4-5 minutes and along the entire scalp
It not only will make the hair soft, protect the scalp but will also boost circulation. One can always experiment with combinations to see what suits them the best.
Hot oil treatment
As oil is very thick, one can use coconut oil to make it more applicable and boost hair growth. Coconut oil is also known for its benefits of moisturizing the hair and scalp.
- Take equal parts of coconut and castor oil
- Add water to a separate vessel and add for boiling
- Mix the oils well in a cup and place the container in boiling water.
- Let it boil for 5 minutes
- Apply the oil to the hair and all over the scalp
- Wrap your hair in a towel
- Leave it for at least half an hour
- Wash it off properly with shampoo and conditioner
Do’s and Don’ts:
- Store Castor oil in a cool and dry place.
- It can be harmful to kids. Keep out of reach of children.
- Use Castor oil in small amounts. Wash it off using a mild shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Do a patch test before actual usage.
- Cover your shoulders with an old towel so that your clothes don’t get spoiled. It is best to wear an old t-shirt as castor oil can cause staining.
- Wet your hair before applying oil as it makes it easier to apply the oil on the scalp. If the oil is still thick, you can warm it to make the consistency thinner. Use your fingers for applying instead of dropper as it spreads the oil better.
- You can add rosemary or peppermint oil to improve its odor. You can use conditioner instead of shampoo for washing.
- Wash your hair thoroughly after application so that it doesn’t stain your towel when you dry it.
- Keep it out of reach of children as it might be harmful.
- You may need to shampoo your hair twice after using castor oil.
- For critical hair problems, castor oil should be used with the advice of health care experts only.
- In most cases, castor oil has no side effects. But it is advisable to do a patch test behind the ear to check for any allergies.
- Pregnant women and lactating mothers should not use castor oil.
- People going through other medical treatments should consult their health care experts before using castor oil.
Other Home Remedies for Hair Problems
Here are some of the home remedies which can be used to reduce hair fall and improve hair growth:
- Coconut milk: Coconut milk(3) is rich in Vitamin E which helps keep hair soft and smooth. Applying coconut milk to your scalp using a brush provides required nourishment to the hair and makes them strong.
- Aloe Vera: Apply aloe vera gel on washed hair in circular motions for maintaining pH level of the scalp and improving hair growth.
- Greek Yogurt: Mixing two tablespoon of Greek yogurt with one tablespoon honey and one lemon. Applying this paste on the scalp helps protect hair from damage.
- Onion juice: Applying onion juice helps eliminate bacteria that cause scalp infections. It also helps to stimulate blood circulation on the scalp.
- Green tea: Boil green tea bags in water and use this water as a rinse after shampoo to encourage hair growth.
Being rich in various nutrients such as vitamin E, fats, proteins, etc. castor oil is hugely beneficial for the hair as well as the entire body. It can be used to relieve constipation, aid digestion, boost immunity, and moisturize the hair and skin. It can protect the hair, improve circulation, promote hair growth, thicken the hair and make it shine.
It can even make the hair darker, protect the hair follicles and avoid premature greying of hair. It can also help in skin conditions like acne. It makes the eyelashes and eyebrows thick, healthy and shiny. One must however always seek the advice of a health expert and ensure that the oil is 100% pure, organic and certified.