Wish for a lustrous hair shaft, but instead, your hair seems dull and lifeless? Tried on every product advertised by well-known hair brands but not getting results? Do you know that getting beautiful hair is not that huge task? It is simple and easy. You need to keep your scalp nourished and moisturized to gain healthy looking shiny hair. Here are some easy ways for how to moisturize scalp. These can be tried at home and give you the desired results without making a hole in your pocket.
What Causes Dry Scalp?
Like your skin, the scalp needs to be moisturized too. While your scalp also has oil glands that release natural oils to keep your hair healthy, there are times when the oil glands do not function properly or do not release the adequate amount of oils to keep your hair healthy. It may be because of:
- Fungal infections
- Scalp conditions like Scalp psoriasis, scalp eczema, etc.
- Use of harsh chemical products
- Hard water
- Extreme weather conditions
- Improper hair care
- Lack of essential nutrients
- Excessive use of styling products
The Best Ways to Moisturize Scalp Naturally
Hair is your beauty crown, but if not taken proper care of, it can ruin your appearance. Improper hair care, lack of nutrients, etc. may lead to dry and thin hair. This unmanageable, frizzy hair may cause you to crib.
Further, it may result in various hair troubles like excessive hair loss(1), scalp dryness, etc. Hence, it is necessary to follow a proper hair care routine. Keep your hair clean and well moisturized, for it to remain healthy and happy. Here are a few tips on to moisturize scalp at home.
Avocado is your natural scalp moisturizer. It efficiently treats your scalp and supplies it with an adequate amount of nutrients that can keep it healthy and well moisturized.
How to use?
- Take a ripe avocado
- Mash it and add to it two tablespoons of olive oil and a teaspoon of honey
- Mix the contents well and apply them on the scalp
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it for around 30 minutes
- After that, wash your hair with warm water using a mild shampoo.
Benefits of Avocado
Avocadoes contain monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids that moisturize your hair. It is a rich source of various vitamins, minerals, and oils that effectively treat dry scalp. Further, the addition of honey makes the mixture antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory which helps in preventing the build-up of microbes and soothes the scalp.
You can also use blended avocado available in the market, but you must dilute it with olive oil before applying it to the scalp.
Foods to eat
Lack of proper diet is another primary reason for dry, itchy scalp resulting in lifeless hair with numerous troubles. Thus, to keep your scalp well moisturized it is essential to eat foods that work from inside. Following are the foods that you must include in your diet:
- Foods rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids like nuts, salmon, flaxseeds, etc.
- Foods rich in Iodine like potatoes, yogurt, berries, etc.
- Foods rich in B complex vitamins like chickpeas, kidney beans, etc.
Foods to avoid
Improper diet may cause a deficiency of essential nutrients in your body that may cause dryness in the scalp and other scalp conditions like scalp acne, eczema, etc. Hence, one must avoid eating the following:
- Sugary, processed, fried foods and that rich in gluten.
- Yeast containing foods like bread and beer
2. Herbal Treatments
Aloe vera is the magical plant with numerous benefits. Those with dry scalp and lifeless hair can use this aloe vera treatment to get healthy hair that they can flaunt around.
How to use?
- Take an aloe vera leaf
- Cut the leaf and extract the gel from it
- Apply the gel on your scalp and hair.
- Massage for some time and then leave for around twenty minutes
- After that wash your hair with lukewarm
- Repeat the process two times a day to get healthy hair
Benefits of Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera has soothing properties that aid in reducing the itchiness of the scalp. It is a rich source of vitamins, sugars, fatty acids, and amino acids that nourish the skin. Application of aloe vera is one of the best remedies for how to moisturize scalp. Rubbing it on the scalp helps treat itchy scalp.
Use freshly extracted aloe vera gel on your scalp. The store-bought gels may not give adequate results. Further, these may contain chemicals that harm your hair.
3. Essential Oils
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is the magical potion for those looking for how to moisturize scalp. If you are suffering from various scalp issues like dryness, hair fall, or dandruff, then tea tree oil is your ultimate savior.
How to use?
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil in your regular shampoo. Around ten drops in eight ounces of shampoo.
- Wash your hair
- Apply the shampoo and oil blend on your hair
- Leave it for five minutes
- And then rinse off.
- Make a blend by adding few drops of tea tree oil in coconut or jojoba oil
- Massage the mixture on your hair and then cover your hair
- Leave it overnight and wash off the next day.
Benefits of Tea Tree Oil
Tea Tree Oil, owing to its antibacterial and antifungal properties, fights the fungus that causes dryness. It also helps in unclogging the pores and balancing the oil secretion. It nourishes the hair and also is an excellent remedy for oily scalp.
Tea tree oil is an essential oil and is quite potent. Hence you must use it in little amount only. Do a skin patch test to know your sensitivity to the oil.
4. Home Remedies
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar finds numerous uses owing to its myriad of beneficial properties. One can also use it as a scalp moisturizer too.
How to use?
- Mix apple cider vinegar with water in the ratio 1:2.
- Apply the mixture directly on the scalp
- Leave it for around five to ten minutes
- After that wash your hair with a mild shampoo and condition it
- You can use this remedy two times a week to moisture the scalp.
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider Vinegar has strong antimicrobial properties which fight off the bacteria and fungus which damage your hair and cause itchiness. It exfoliates your hair removing the dead skin cell build-up. Further, it has strong anti-inflammatory properties that soothe the scalp. Thus, apple cider vinegar is not only an effective scalp moisturizer but also helps in treating the itchy bumps on the scalp.
Apple cider Vinegar has strong acidic properties. Using it in concentrated form can damage your hair and skin. Thus, apply it to your scalp only after diluting it with water.
5. Natural Treatments
Baking soda is an easy, natural remedy for those looking for how to moisturize scalp. It helps treat dandruff as well as dry scalp and effectively moisturizes and nourishes your hair.
How to use?
- Mix baking soda in an equal amount of olive oil
- Massage the blend thoroughly onto your scalp
- Leave it for around five minutes
- After that wash your hair with a mild shampoo and condition it.
Benefits of Baking Soda
Baking soda has strong antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. It efficiently exfoliates your hair and prevents the build-up of dead skin cells. Further, olive oil has moisturizing properties that ease the itchiness.
You must not excessively scrub your scalp while massaging with baking soda and olive oil mixture as it will damage the skin.
Your hair defines your beauty; hence it is essential to maintain a daily care routine that keeps your hair healthy and beautiful. You must include practices that keep your scalp clean and prevent conditions like scalp acne, dandruff, itchiness, etc. A dry and infected scalp can be troublesome. Its visible effects can be a cause of worry and embarrassment.
If your scalp is itchy and is accompanied by increased hair fall and frizzy hair, then it might be that the natural oils are not able to cope up with the damage. Moisturizing your hair is a part of your hair care routine. The diy scalp treatment mentioned above efficiently work to give you lustrous air. These give you visible results in no time.