Does your hair look dull and damaged? Not only the pollutants and dirt around, but excessive shampooing with harsh chemical products is the reason behind the damage. The shampoos might give you shinier hair after a wash, but they do little for its health. As such in the long run, your hair starts looking damaged.
It is because most shampoos (even sulfate-free ones) contain chemicals that strip your hair of its natural oils. Alarmed by the damage caused by shampoos, the hunt for natural alternatives to the harsh shampoos began which ended at baking soda.
Switch to baking soda for hair and get beautiful and lustrous strands in no time. This article shares why baking soda is good for your hair and how you should use it.
Perhaps we should try getting a better glance at the facts and so why not take a look at the details below!
- Why Baking Soda For Hair
- How To Use Baking Soda For Hair
- Benefits Of Using Baking Soda For Hair
- Use baking soda with coconut oil
Baking Soda for Hair
With the “no poo” trend (shampoo free healthy hair) getting popular, baking soda or sodium bicarbonate has emerged as a winner among natural products for beautiful locks. Overuse of chemical shampoos on scalp leads to the development of scaly skin which anything but healthier.
It is because the chemicals in the shampoos wipe out the natural oils of your hair, making it dry. To get rid of excessive dryness; the sebaceous glands release more sebum making your hair greasy once again.
This may lead to clogging of hair cuticles and accumulation of dirt resulting in dandruff and other scalp issues. Thus, to evade the troubles being caused by regular shampoos people are shifting to “No poo” methods, looking for natural alternatives to shampoos and one such effective product which effectively suits the purpose is Baking Soda. It contains potent properties that can help in cleaning your shaft and providing you healthy hair.
Why Baking Soda for hair?
With so many alternatives available, you might want to know that why you should choose baking soda for hair. If you are having doubts as to why baking soda is a healthier alternative to shampoo, then here are the reasons to why you should consider washing hair with baking soda.
- Baking soda has potent exfoliating properties. Using it on the scalp helps in removing the excess of dirt and sebum present in your shaft which directly affects the health of the strands, restricts their growth and increases hair fall. Thus, you can use it to clear of the excess of flakes present on your scalp which are a result of using shampoos(1). With clear scalp, your strands are better nourished by natural oils and become lustrous and healthier
- Baking soda is antiseptic. A scaly and flaky scalp is more prone to dandruff and fungal infections. Baking soda being antiseptic helps in treating those fungal infections and clearing dandruff which not only damages your hair but can cause much embarrassment
- Baking soda if used correctly can also treat dryness of hair. The pH value of baking soda is nine while that of your hair shaft is between 4.5 and 5.5. However, when used in diluted form along with apple cider vinegar, it can help maintain the pH level of your scalp and calm down the irritation. Thus, if you are looking for easing your trouble of itchy and irritated scalp, then use baking soda. Those, with an excessively dry shaft, can use it to restore the balance of the scalp and get shiny and voluminous hair
- Baking soda has natural oil absorbing property which makes it a cost-effective and efficient alternative to dry shampoos. So, when you are in a hurry, and there is no time to shampoo the hair, sprinkle some baking soda on your hair and toss it remove the greasiness
How to use Baking Soda for hair?
Baking soda can be the reason behind healthy and shiny hair. How? Well, all the shampoos available in the market dimethicone (silicone oil(2) responsible for smoothness) coat your hair that attracts dirt and pollutants thus weighing your hair down.
On the other hand, Baking soda helps in removal of sebum by turning it into soap. Therefore, it keeps your hair shaft naturally healthy. However, the pH of baking soda is quite high which can disrupt the natural pH of your scalp. Thus to strike a balance, baking soda is diluted in a good amount of water before using it on the scalp, thereupon the regimen is followed by using apple cider vinegar solution on hair which is acidic and balances the pH of the shaft.
How to use?
- If you are using baking soda for the first time, then you might require more quantity of it to clear the shaft. Once your scalp is clean of all the build-up, you must reduce the amount of baking soda
- For the first few washes add a teaspoon of baking soda in a cup of water and after that reduce the quantity to half a teaspoon in half a glass of water
- Apply the solution on your scalp
- Rub it for two to three minutes
- After that rinse your hair with cold water
- Next, apply apple cider solution made by mixing apple cider vinegar and water in the ratio 1:4 on your hair
- And then again wash your hair
Benefits of using Baking Soda for hair
Baking soda exfoliates your hair and removes the excess of sebum. It helps in maintaining the natural oil balance in your scalp and prevents dry hair. Following the procedure with apple cider vinegar wash is necessary. Apple cider vinegar here serves two purposes. First, it conditions your hair second it helps in restoring the correct pH balance of your shaft.
Baking soda with its high pH opens up the hair cuticles, and with nothing to close them, your scalp will not be able to retain the moisture, and the result would be rough and unmanageable hair. To evade it, you must follow the baking soda wash with apple cider vinegar conditioning. The acidic vinegar will close the hair cuticles, thus will help in retaining the moisture of the hair.
Other ways to use baking soda for hair
Baking soda is an effective alternative to shampoo to get naturally beautiful hair. Here are some more ways you can use potent baking soda for hair and ease various troubles.
Use baking soda and lemon to treat dandruff
Add two tablespoons of freshly extracted lemon juice to one and half a cup of baking soda. Mix them to get a thin paste. Massage the paste on your scalp and leave it for two minutes. After that wash your hair with cold water. Using this remedy two times a week can help you clear dandruff quickly. It is because lemon being astringent kills the fungus that causes dandruff.
Use baking soda with coconut oil to alleviate dryness
Dry and itchy scalp can cause much discomfort. Ease your trouble by using coconut oil with baking soda. Add one tablespoon each of coconut oil and honey in one and a half teaspoon of baking soda. Apply the mixture on your scalp and leave it for about twenty to thirty minutes. After that, rinse your hair with water. Use this remedy three times a week for reducing dryness of the scalp.
Coconut oil is a natural emollient that moisturizes your scalp and alleviates the itchiness while honey possesses potent antioxidant properties that reverse the damage caused to your hair and helps it in getting back to its healthier self.
Word of caution
Baking soda for hair is indeed a good option, but you must use it with caution. Here are some points that you must consider.
- Baking soda has a high pH value that can disrupt the natural pH of your hair
- After the first wash with Baking Soda, your hair might look waxy and bad. However, after a few washes, you will start noticing the difference. Your hair will be healthier than ever
- Using an excess of baking soda on the hair can eradicate your hair of its natural oils that can lead to overproduction of sebum, causing flakes. It will also make your hair much drier and damaged. Hence you must use it in a limited amount
- Also, instead of using baking soda for every wash try using other natural alternatives in between to manage your hair healthily
Traditional shampooing is getting unpopular due to the damage it causes to your hair. Hence people are switching to more natural products that are safe on your hair and do not damage it.
Baking soda for hair is one of the best alternatives to the shampoos as it thoroughly cleanses your shaft of all the build-up caused due to chemical shampoos. You can use it alone as a wash or combine it with other natural substances to ease various troubles associated with hair like dandruff and dryness.
These natural substances along with baking soda promote healthy hair shaft with shinier and smooth strands. Further, these also help keep a check on hair fall and support the growth of your tresses.