Each one of us wishes to have clear, glowing and healthy facial skin without having to face any problems or hindrances in the path. Taking solace with the wrong skin products, in the long run, may end up leading to the loss of skin glow, increase in the skin barrier damage and also increase the rate of the aging of your skin. Hence, many of us who are unaware have to unwillingly and unknowingly compromise either in the present or in the later years.
But with the blessings of nature on our heads, even your face would not remain a cause of worry. Try olive oil for face and feel free from most of your problems concerned with your face.
Most common issues concerning your face
- Acne (pimples, blackheads and whiteheads)
- Sagging skin
- Dry skin
- Early aging
- Loss of glow from the face
- Skin allergies
- Serious diseases like eczema
- Hormonal changes may induce a negative impact on your face like face acne.
- Environmental causes: Exposing your face to too much heat or the sun or even dust can potentially lead to skin issues.
- Genetic or hereditary reasons
- Exposing yourself to allergens
- Stress, anxiety or depression after a while starts appearing on your face.
- Using the wrong products/cosmetics also cause skin issues.
- Having extra sensitive skin which is more prone to damage or problems.
What is Olive Oil?
Olive oil is obtained from Olea europaea plant. You can extract this oil from olives by pressing or via other methods. It belongs to the Oleaceae family. It is the native of Mediterranean basin. Olive oil is known by various names all around the world like Jaitun ka tel in Hindi, Olyf Olie by Africans, Zayt Alzaytun in Arabic and Mafuta in Swahili. Olive oil has many nutritional benefits and is considered to be a healthy option in cooking. The oil has got amazing results for hair and skin problems as well.
Why use Olive oil for face
The concept of using olive oil for face is nothing new. It has been used as a beauty product for ages now. The composition of olive oil itself proves its worth. It contains vitamins and minerals that help in regenerating the skin cells. Olive oil enhances the elasticity of the facial skin and hence reduces wrinkles.
- It is a natural and more effective moisturizer than many commercial products available in the market.
- Olive oil provides a soothing effect on many serious skin conditions for instance eczema. It can be used as a fruitful remedy against eczema.
- If you are suffering from face acne, the natural antibacterial property of olive oil helps in preventing the bacteria from worsening your acne condition.
- Its anti-inflammatory properties aid in soothing the swelling and redness which accompany acne and even face rash.
- Olive oil can be used for removing makeup on its own or after mixing it with lemon oil.
- If you are mixing it with aloe vera, the mixture provides extra hydration to the skin while removing your makeup. It can also be used as an effective lip scrub.
- Olive oil acts as a great cleanser and due to its non-comedogenic nature; it does not block pores and serves the rightful purpose of dissolving the surface dirt.
- Olive oil is rich in Vitamins A, D, K and even E which means that it contains antioxidants called polyphenols. These antioxidants protect the skin against many threats and maintain the face glow.
How to use Olive Oil for face?
One can use olive oil for face in a number of ways with each of them having its own set of uses.
- If you aim at healing scars, simply massage olive oil onto your scars for about 5 minutes. Leave it for about 10 minutes after this and then wipe off your face. In case of hyperpigmented scars, you may add a little hydrogen peroxide or little lemon juice to olive oil and then face massage gently by following the same procedure.
- In case of wrinkles, simply dab the skin under and around your eyes with olive oil before going to bed or the first thing after waking up in the morning.
- You may also add lavender oil or rose water into olive oil for fragrance and use it as a moisturizer.
- Olive oil can also be used as exfoliating. Simply take a tablespoon of olive oil and mix it with a half teaspoon of sugar or salt and apply it to your face. Later, rinse it with warm water. Sugar is less abrasive than salt and serves the purpose in a better way with no harm.
- You can use olive oil for removing eye makeup, for curing blackheads and whiteheads, like a scar oil, for wrinkle treatment, reducing inflammation and repairing skin cells by simply massaging it gently over your face after consulting with your healthcare expert.
DIY olive oil recipes for face
DIY FACE MASK
- Olive oil
- Egg yolk
- One tablespoon of flour
Make a fine paste of egg yolk and flour added with olive oil. If it is too viscous to spread, then add more oil. Spread this face mask over your face and then leave it on for about 20 minutes to moisturize your skin.
- 1/3 cup of yogurt
- ¼ cup of honey
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
Take 1/3 cup of yogurt and add ¼ cup of honey to it. Further, add 2 teaspoons of oil and mix it properly in order to obtain a thick solution. Apply this to your face and leave it for about 20 minutes. After this, wash it using lukewarm water. Use this once a week for healthy skin and regaining your face glow.
Some benefits of Olive Oil
- Olive oil serves a healthy and good purpose in cooking, one of which is believed to be its capability to control cholesterol.
- Olive oil is known to keep your skin smooth, clear, soft and supple.
- It has properties that help to heal cracked heels.
- Olive oil is really helpful in diluting and getting rid of ear wax.
- Olive oil, according to many, prevents serious issues like breast cancer, diabetes and Alzheimer’s disease.
- It contains a good amount of Vitamin E, an antioxidant which protects your skin from various external factors.
- The light texture of olive oil makes it an ideal non-sticky moisturizer.
- Keeps your nails and hair healthy. It can be used as a positive pre-shampoo treatment.
- Olive oil is known to treat depression and prevent strokes.
It aids weight loss and also provides relief from pain.
- Make sure not to expose your skin to the sun after applying it mixed with lemon juice as lemon juice on exposure to sunlight can cause redness to the skin.
- Some people believe that improper usage of olive oil leads to damage or redness in case of dry skin in adults or infants.
- Store the olive oil in a cool and dark place as heating and exposure to light may cause oxidation hence, lessening the impact of its beneficial qualities.
- Buy real oil from the right brands.
- Make the right choice of olive oil for skin care. Virgin olive oil, for this purpose, serves the best. Refined olive oil is odorless and hence some may prefer it but the antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals important for your skin are present in the desired amount in unrefined oil.
DOs and DONTs
- Use olive oil for face sparingly and in the right proportion or it may lead to clogged pores.
- Prefer extra virgin olive oil for skin.
- Do not use the oil without proper consultation with your healthcare expert.
- Do not start using without thinking. If you have a sensitive skin, firstly apply olive oil on a small area of your arm or legs and watch its effect. If it does not harm your skin, then only proceed to use it for face massage.
Other home remedies
Lemon juice acts as a disinfectant and destroys the bacteria that cause breakouts n hence helps in treating acne.
Aloe vera is considered to be one of the best remedies for natural, clear and healthy skin.
The yolk of the egg contains various nutrients that replenish and tighten your skin and provide it with a beautiful glow.
Anything concerned with our face becomes a very delicate matter and needs to be handled with care. Everything that happens around us in our environment or is applied on our face, sooner or later definitely shows its impact. Hence, choosing the wrong products is the biggest mistake that one can commit. Why go for unhealthy and synthetic products when nature itself provides us with the best options. Olive oil for face is a natural prevention as well as cure to keep your facial skin healthy and glowing. As a cherry on the top, it has got hardly any side-effects and is very easily available for you. So, why to spend your valuable money and time on the wrong products and cures? Start using olive oil for your face today and treat your present issues along with obtaining protection for the future.