Turmeric is mostly known as a spice. It is used mainly in Asian cuisines, and you can consider it as a vital ingredient of delicious oriental dishes. The roots of turmeric have a significant role in traditional medicines and Ayurveda. But know about turmeric benefits for skin, you will instantly love this organic magic root. Because of these skin benefits, turmeric based skin care products have created their own distinct fan base, and the craze is just rising every day.
Do you know that even Peptic ulcer disease (PUD) and associated symptoms can be treated by consuming turmeric root or capsules? Well, in this article we will explore more about this secret beauty therapy.
What is Turmeric?
Turmeric is a member of the ginger family because of which it has a distinctly warm and raw flavor. This flowering plant is a native to India and South East Asia. In its ancient time, people used it to dye clothes. Turmeric benefits for skin are so remarkable and compelling that you can use it as an inevitable part of the oriental rituals which includes beauty bathing or skin-smearing ceremonies for centuries now. Indian brides massage their skin with turmeric on their wedding day. They do so to get glowing skin on their very special day!
Nutritional Profile of Turmeric
Turmeric has been keeping researchers busy. The extraordinary skin benefits of turmeric and the healing power of turmeric is the result of its inherent nutritional profile.
Turmeric is high in phytochemical components. Nutrients like curcumin, bisdemethoxycurcumin, and demethoxycurcumin make it useful for most of the skin problems and other issues. Curcumin is one of the significant cosmetic element.
Every two tbsp. of turmeric powder contains:
- Iron: 10%
- Fiber: 3%
- Manganese 15%
- Copper: 4%
- Vitamin B6: 5%
What does science say about Turmeric?
If you are still doubtful about turmeric benefits for skin, then here are a few scientific facts you may want to know. According to a study(1), turmeric has a natural way to treat mild to severe dermatological disorders like skin damage, scars, eczema, psoriasis, blemishes, pigmentation, and many more.
Another study(2) suggests that the existing property of turmeric known as curcumin is anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant. Curcumin can prevent inflammation-related skin problems.
Turmeric Benefits for Skin
Inflammation is very harmful to the skin. It can cause blemishes, redness, eczema and even psoriasis. But, the presence of anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory components in turmeric can do miracles on inflammation affected skin.
Cytokines stimulate the inflammation of the cells which is the main reason behind psoriasis. Turmeric can reduce psoriasis.
How to treat psoriasis with turmeric:
- Make a paste of turmeric and water. The mixture should be thin.
- Apply topically on psoriasis affected areas.
- Cover it with a cotton or any soft cloth and leave it for the whole night.
- In the morning, remove the cotton/cloth gently and rinse your skin with lukewarm water.
Our body has a natural antioxidant synthesis process, and curcuminoid can stimulate that process. As a result, our body develops a shield to protect our skin and brain from the damages of free radicals. If you apply turmeric on your skin, you can reduce the early signs of aging like fine lines and wrinkles.
As per a study(3) conducted in Japan, turmeric can delay the entire skin aging process. It maintains the elasticity of our skin caused by ultraviolet B-rays.
3. Reduction of stretch marks
The antioxidative properties of turmeric can penetrate the membrane cells of our skin and improve its function. This will eventually prevent the appearance of stretch marks.
How to use Turmeric to prevent stretch mark?
- Make a mixture with extra virgin olive oil, turmeric and squeeze half lemon in it.
- Rub it on stretch marks twice a day.
- Make a paste of curd and turmeric and apply it on the affected skin.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Wash it gently.
If you have scars, then apply the same paste on the damaged skin. It can prevent your skin from further damage too.
[Also Read:Get Rid of Stretch Marks Naturally ]
4. Heals Acne:
Turmeric is an excellent source of natural antibacterial nutrients. And apart from that, it has anti-inflammatory agents. These two are significant acne-causing culprits. Using specific turmeric packs can heal acne.
How to use turmeric for acne scars:
- Mix a thin paste of milk and turmeric.
- Then add honey and two tablespoons of flour to make it thicker.
- Apply the paste on your face and let it stay for 15 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cold water.
5. Treat dry skin
Turmeric can deeply hydrate our skin. It has an organic way to remove damaged, dried up, and dead skin cells and enhance the glow of the skin. Turmeric can protect your skin from damages.
The milk-turmeric pack mentioned in treating acne is also useful for soothing dry skin.
6. Treats Skin Pigmentation and Tan:
The lightening components of turmeric can treat skin pigmentation. Turmeric is also known for removing tan.
How to treat pigmentation using turmeric:
- You need to blend one teaspoon and lemon juice with turmeric powder.
- Apply to the affected area.
- Let it stay for 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with cold water.
- Pat dry the skin.
- Apply a moisturizer.
Note: You may feel mild itchiness as both of these act as a natural bleaching agent. Do not go out in the sun after using this pack.
To reduce tan, use the same- lemon and turmeric paste but this time add another natural bleach, i.e., lemon. Apply it for 10 minutes and rinse off.
7. Brightens Complexion:
The natural bleaching components and exfoliating capacity of turmeric are great for fairer skin. So, if you are willing to get an improved complexion, then here is the secret way:
Turmeric face mask to lighten skin
- You will need sandalwood powder, curd, a pinch of saffron, few soaked almonds, lemon juice, and the star ingredient turmeric.
- Blend it well and store it in the refrigerator.
- Apply this every night before sleeping.
- Wash it in the morning.
8. Treats Cracked Feet
Cracked feet look ugly and are painful too. So if you are tired of using crack healing creams, then try turmeric. Turmeric has some astringent components that can heal the dry skin of your feet.
- Blend castor oil and coconut oil in 1:1 ratio and add a pinch of turmeric to make a paste.
- Apply it on cracked areas of your feet.
- Leave it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse off with normal water.
9. Great for Exfoliation
You can make your DIY scrub with turmeric that can exfoliate your skin. Turmeric powder is a bit coarse and works well as an exfoliator too.
- Take one tablespoon turmeric, one tablespoon rose water and mix it well. You also use apple cider vinegar instead.
- Gently massage your skin with the paste and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Rinse well and pat dry.
After washing off the paste, your face may look a bit yellowish. But do not worry, it will not last for long.
Side effects of Turmeric on skin
Overusing anything has some side effects. Turmeric for skin can drive you to use it every day, but you should know the side effects as well.
- Start using it moderately. Excessive use of turmeric can make your skin rough because of its bleaching agents.
- If your skin is sensitive or allergy-prone, then talk to your doctor before using it.
Precautions to be undertaken
Turmeric benefits for skin are proven, but there are some precautions you should consider.
- First of all, turmeric is a natural bleach. So you should try a patch test before using it on the skin.
- If you are going somewhere and feel the urge to applying turmeric pack for some extra glow, then here’s something you should know: Turmeric pack leaves a yellowish tint on your skin, and it can’t be removed instantly.
- Avoid going out in the sun after using turmeric pack.
- Always use ½ to 1 tablespoon of turmeric. Excess usage may cause skin burning sensation.
Turmeric benefits for skin is a time tested beauty treatment. Beauty conscious ladies use turmeric for better skin and fairer complexion from time immemorial. From applying turmeric masks to consuming milk turmeric potion, people used and lauded about it. But do not think of a quick fix. Give your skin some time to be healed from inside. Organic treatments and components work gradually so be patient!