Folliculitis, a skin disease that can be itchy and annoying but definitely not life-threatening. This common skin disease occurs due to the bacterial (or fungal) infection which can spread the small red or white-headed pimples that can later become crusty sores. If left untreated, Folliculitis can lead to severe scarring and hair loss also.
These terrible red bumps on your face, arms or even scalp can appear in large numbers owing to the skin condition folliculitis. These are undoubtedly unwanted, and you do wish to get rid of them as soon as they appear.
While they may not pose any severe threats, they do ruin your look and are quite embarrassing. However, beware if you have sensitive skin as simple friction and rubbing can induce some folliculitis rash. With no treatment needed usually unless they are recurring, you can still get rid of them quickly with the proven home treatment remedies for Folliculitis as described in the sections below.
Remedy Treatments to Treat Folliculitis
Folliculitis: Causes & Symptoms
Folliculitis is a skin condition wherein the hair follicles become inflamed due to a bacterial or fungal infection.
Folliculitis is an infection of skin follicles. Staphylococcus aureus (staph) bacteria primarily causes it. Besides it, the infection can also be caused due to viruses or fungi. It can occur anywhere on your skin where there are hair follicles.
Following are the symptoms of folliculitis:
- A cluster of red bumps around hair follicles
- Pus filled-blisters
- A large swollen bump on the skin
- Itchy and burning skin
Types of Folliculitis
Superficial Folliculitis can be of the following types:
- Bacterial folliculitis
- Pseudomonas folliculitis
- Folliculitis decalvans
- Pityrosporum or Malassezia folliculitis
The following are the types of Deep Folliculitis:
- Gram-negative folliculitis
- Eosinophilic folliculitis
- Boils and carbuncles
How to treat folliculitis naturally?
Folliculitis is not a severe condition and will heal with time. However, the infection can spread and can cause much discomfort and embarrassment. Here are some effective ways for folliculitis home treatment that can relieve you of the trouble easily.
1. Foods that may help treat folliculitis
Garlic is an effective folliculitis Home treatment
Garlic is the magical food that can heal various skin conditions including folliculitis. It is an excellent folliculitis home treatment that you must try.
How to use?
- Chew three to four garlic cloves daily
- Or you can include garlic in your food
- Or, you can also go for garlic supplements
Benefits of Garlic
Garlic is known to exhibit potent properties against infections like folliculitis. It contains allicin, a sulfur compound with potent antiviral and antibacterial properties that effectively fight the microbes known to cause folliculitis. Consume it to treat folliculitis on the face internally.
Do not eat more than four cloves of garlic in a day. If you wish to consume garlic supplements, then consult your doctor for the correct dosage. Also, garlic may cause an allergic reaction. Hence, if you have a history of allergy, then do a skin patch test to know whether you are allergic to garlic or not.
Foods to eat
A healthy immune system is necessary for fighting off infections like folliculitis. Add the following foods in your diet to ensure quick recovery from the condition.
- Green Leafy Vegetables
- Foods rich in Vitamin C like broccoli, sweet peppers, citrus fruits, etc.
- Fish oil and foods rich in Omega-3 Fatty acids
- Collagen-rich foods like kale, garlic, etc.
Foods to avoid
Certain foods can aggravate the inflammation and worsen the symptoms of the condition. Hence, you must avoid such foods. These include:
- Refined flour
- Sugary foods
- Processed foods
2. Herbal treatments for healing folliculitis
Neem oil is an excellent remedy for bacterial as well as fungal folliculitis
Neem is an amazing herb well-known for its medicinal properties. Those looking for how to cure folliculitis on scalp or face can try this potent natural cure.
How to use?
- Mix three drops of neem oil in a tablespoon of coconut oil or almond oil
- Apply the blend gently on the affected area
- Leave it for at least six hours. You can leave it overnight too.
- Repeat the remedy every day to subside the symptoms of the infection and get rid of it.
Benefits of Neem Oil
Neem oil is an effective remedy for Folliculitis Home Treatment owing to its strong antifungal and antiseptic properties. It helps you out in getting rid of bacteria and fungi responsible for skin infections like Folliculitis. Using it also helps in reducing the redness and inflammation due to the infection.
In case you are using neem oil for the first time, then you should first do a skin patch test to know your skin’s sensitivity to it.
3. Essential oils for treating Folliculitis
Use Tea Tree Oil for relieving the symptoms of Folliculitis
The infected hair folliculitis can also be treated effectively by using tea tree oil. It is a potent essential oil known to be quite useful in treating skin infections and inflammation. It is an easy home remedy for treating folliculitis on legs and arms.
How to use?
- Add a few drops of the tea tree oil in your body wash to treat the infection on the skin.
- If you are suffering from folliculitis on the scalp, then add tea tree oil to your regular shampoo
- Allow it to stay for five to ten minutes and then wash off with water
Benefits of Tea tree Oil
Consistent use of tea tree oil will vanish the red bumps caused due to folliculitis. It is because tea tree oil contains potent components that can kill the bacteria and other microbes causing the infection and prevent it from spreading further. The oil also contains anti-inflammatory properties that help in easing the pain and inflammation.
Tea tree Oil is indeed one of the best home remedies for treating scalp folliculitis or the infection in any other part of the body. However, its strong action may hurt you. Thus, before using it do a skin patch test using diluted tea tree oil. If it causes an allergic reaction, then wash it off immediately
4. Home remedies for getting rid of folliculitis
Apple Cider Vinegar is an excellent Folliculitis Home Treatment
Apple cider vinegar finds numerous uses, and one such use is the treatment of folliculitis. The inflamed hair follicle infection can be easily cured with this magical home remedy. Read below to know how to get rid of folliculitis by using apple cider vinegar.
How to use?
- Mix apple cider vinegar in water in the ratio 1:2
- Apply the mixture on the inflamed skin area using a clean cloth
- Leave the cloth on the skin for about five to ten minutes
- Repeat the process for a couple of days to minimize skin irritation and heal the infection.
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
Whether it be folliculitis on your face or armpit folliculitis, you can get rid of it quickly by using apple cider vinegar. It is because apple cider vinegar possesses strong antiseptic, antibacterial and antiviral properties that aid in killing the microbe causing the infection and inhibit its growth. It also helps in easing the inflammation and relieving you of the pain and irritation.
Apple cider vinegar is acidic and can cause much more irritation if used in undiluted form. Also, do not use it on open cuts and wounds.
5. Natural treatments for getting rid of folliculitis
Use coconut oil for healing folliculitis
Coconut oil is much more than just cooking oil. Its potent properties make it one of the best natural remedies for treating fungal as well as bacterial folliculitis. It serves as a natural remedy for folliculitis home treatment.
How to use?
- Take some amount of coconut oil
- Apply it on the infected region
- Let it stay for some time so that it gets absorbed into your skin
Benefits of coconut oil
Coconut oil is packed with components that are healthy for your skin. It contains lauric acid and capric acid both of which have beneficial properties to fight skin infection. Also, it acts as a moisturizer and deeply nourishes the skin, thus preventing dryness, itchiness, and irritation.
Those with sensitive skin or history of allergy must do a skin patch test to know whether they are allergic to coconut oil or not. If rubbing coconut oil causes redness and inflammation, then wash it off immediately.
How to prevent Folliculitis?
Follow the tips mentioned below to avoid folliculitis.
- Stay away from chemicals. Do not use harsh skin products.
- Keep your skin clean and dry. Keep it well moisturized to prevent it from breaking and getting infected.
- Minimize the use of oil-based products. They can trap bacteria in skin pores and cause infection.
- Do not share your personal belongings and toiletries like the razor, towel, etc.
- Avoid wearing tight clothes to reduce the friction between skin and clothing.
- Shave with care and avoid practices that may irritate your skin and cause an infection.
Folliculitis and its symptoms can be easily treated by using the home remedies mentioned above. These provide a quick and easy way to get rid of the infection. Employ the Folliculitis home treatment and bid farewell to all your troubles.
However, besides using the remedies make sure that you follow a healthy lifestyle and good hygiene practices which ensure that the infection gets healed and also prevent it from recurring.