Dandruff is ruinous. It ruins your little black dress and your glossy, silken hair. The scalp feels itchy and when we do end up itching, there appear small dust-like white flakes that are extremely hard to get rid of.
We end up rubbing our scalp with a hundred different oils that are not only ineffective but contain harsh chemicals that damage the hair and scalp.
Are you concerned about how to get rid of dandruff fast? But worry not! Read on to find out incredibly effectual remedies to fight dandruff symptoms those are organic in nature and available at right in your larder at home.
What causes dandruff?
Dandruff is caused when the scalp gets affected by a dreadful fungus named Malassezia(1). The fungus infection causes the scalp to dry up and disintegrate into powdery white flakes.
There are two different kinds of dandruff, one that occurs due to drying up of scalp and the other that occurs when the scalp is excessively oily.
A few general dandruff causes are:
- Irregular combing and brushing of hair and not taking proper care of it.
- Infrequent rinsing and shampooing.
- Improper and unhealthy diet.
- Stress and diseases like eczema(2), Parkinson’s disease and seborrheic dermatitis(3).
20 Natural Remedies for Dandruff:
Wondering how to get rid of dandruff? Elucidated below are 20 effective natural ways to get rid of dandruff. The remedies are prepared with natural ingredients that are easily available at either your home or the nearest markets.
The natural treatments are performed at home, are immensely effectual and leave no negative side-effects on your skin or scalp.
1. Olive Oil and Neem
Neem is rich in antifungal properties that fight against the harmful dandruff fungus quite effectively. Neem also possesses anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that make it one of the best natural remedies for dandruff.
- Take a handful of dry neem leaves and crush them into a fine powder.
- Take 4 tablespoons of olive oil(4) in a dish and add the powdered neem leaves to it.
- Mix the oil and the powder to make a smooth paste.
- Smear your flaky scalp with the paste and leave it on for an hour or so.
- Rinse your hair with good quality shampoo after the paste gets dry.
- Do this daily until the scalp heals.
2. Honey and Coconut oil
Coconut preserves the natural proteins of your hair and helps to stop dandruff hair loss. Honey is rich in antimicrobial properties which make it highly effective in the elimination of dandruff.
- Take two teaspoons each of coconut oil(5), olive oil, honey and yoghurt in a bowl.
- Mix the ingredients to form a smooth paste of even consistency.
- If the paste seems a little too runny, add some more honey to thicken the paste.
- Smear your flaky scalp with the paste and massage gently.
- Rub the paste on your hair right from the roots to the tips.
- Massage with gentle pressure for about 10 minutes.
- Leave it on for an hour or so.
- Rinse your hair with good quality shampoo after the paste gets dry.
- Do this daily until the dandruff disappears.
3. Lemon and Baking soda
Baking soda(6) possesses rich antifungal properties that fight against the dandruff fungus very effectively.
- Take three tablespoons each of fresh lemon juice and baking soda in a bowl.
- Stir well to make a paste of medium consistency.
- Smear your dandruff-infected scalp with the paste and leave it on for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse your hair and use apple cider vinegar to condition it.
- Do this every morning till the scalp gets better.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar and Banana
Banana is loaded with Vitamin B-Complex(7) which improves blood circulation and boosts the nutrition of the scalp. Apple cider vinegar(8) is a natural germicide and fungicide that fights hard and dandruff.
- Take a banana and peel it completely.
- Put the peeled banana in a tumbler and add 2 cups of apple cider vinegar to it.
- Mash the banana and stir thoroughly to obtain a paste of even consistency.
- Smear your scalp with the paste with gentle massaging and cover all your hair with the paste.
- Leave it on for about 20 minutes and then shampoo it off.
- Do this daily for a week and then once in a week until the dandruff disappears.
Yoghurt suppresses the production of yeast by the dandruff fungi. It is a probiotic that introduces friendly bacteria into the scalp.
- Rinse and shampoo your hair and wash the scalp thoroughly.
- Take a cup of plain and pure yoghurt(9).
- Apply the yoghurt to your flaky scalp and leave it on for about fifteen minutes.
- Rinse your hair again and this time, use just a small amount of shampoo.
6. Fuller’s Earth
How to remove dandruff fast with Fuller’s earth? Fuller’s earth helps to get rid of oil, dirt and grease from your hair and improves blood circulation. It is a natural dandruff shampoo and helps to eliminate dandruff.
- Take a cup of fuller’s earth and mix it with water to form a fine paste.
- Add two tablespoons of lemon juice to it and stir well.
- Apply this paste to the scalp and leave it on for about half an hour.
- Rinse it off with plain water.
- Do this daily until the dandruff disappears.
7. Orange Peel
The acidic nature of orange peel cures the excessively oily nature of scalp and helps to fight dandruff.
- Take a few dried orange peels and add 6 tablespoons of lemon juice to it.
- Blend this to form a smooth orange peel(10) paste.
- Smear your crumbling scalp with the paste and leave it on for about half an hour.
- Rinse your hair with a good shampoo and do this thrice a week to get rid of dandruff permanently.
8. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil gets absorbed into the epidermis and heals the scalp from within by infusing it with regenerative medium chain fatty acids.
- Shampoo your hair but don’t condition it.
- Massage your peeling scalp with coconut oil for about 5 minutes.
- Wash the oil off with plain water.
- Do this daily until the dryness of scalp heals and dandruff gets eliminated.
9. Oil of Tea Tree
Tea tree oil is antifungal and penetrates the epidermis easily. It is also antiseptic in nature and is an excellent home remedy for dandruff.
- Take a little shampoo in a dish and three to four drops of tea tree oil to it.
- Stir well and then rub the mixture of oil and shampoo all over your scalp.
- Rinse it off after five minutes.
- Do this daily and your scalp will heal.
Fenugreek is rich in vitamins and minerals that help to fight dandruff and give the scalp its much needed nutritious boost.
- Soak a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in a bowl of hot water and let the seeds get soaked through the night.
- Strain out the water in the morning and rinse your hair with fenugreek water.
- Do this daily to cure your scalp.
11. Egg Yolk
How to get rid of dandruff permanently? Well, Egg yolk is rich in biotin that is an excellent remedy for permanent dandruff removal.
- Mix the yolks of two eggs in a bowl and apply that to your dry scalp.
- Wrap your hair with a shower cap and keep it on for about an hour.
- Wash your hair thoroughly to remove the yolk and the odors.
- Do this daily for your scalp to heal.
Garlic is antifungal and antimicrobial in nature which makes it highly beneficial in eliminating dandruff.
- Take a few cloves of garlic and crush them.
- Add a tablespoon of honey to form a fine paste.
- Massage your scalp gently with this paste and leave it on for about fifteen minutes.
- Shampoo your hair and rinse off the pungent odor.
- Do this daily for the scalp to get better.
Salt is abrasive in nature hence making it a perfect dandruff treatment at home. It acts as an excellent scrub and gets rid of the white flakes effectively.
- Take two tablespoons of salt and rub it on your dry scalp.
- Rub all over your hair with the salt and massage thoroughly for about 10 minutes.
- Shampoo your hair to rinse the salt out entirely.
- Do this thrice a week.
14. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a natural fungicide and bactericide. It contains proteolytic enzymes which break down proteins and gets rid of dry dead cells. This exfoliating property makes Aloe Vera the best natural dandruff treatment.
- Slice a few leaves of Aloe Vera(11) to extract its gel.
- Apply the gel on your scalp and leave it on for about 10 minutes before rinsing it off with shampoo.
- Do this daily till the dandruff gets completely eliminated.
Apples contain vitamin B-2 that promotes the growth of hair and gets rid of the white flakes on your scalp.
- Mix two tablespoons each of fresh apple juice(12) and pure water and apply the mixture to your flaky scalp.
- Rinse your scalp after 15 to 20 minutes and do this daily for your scalp to heal.
- Peel and grate a few pieces of ginger and squeeze it hard to extract its juice.
- Mix the juice with a tablespoon of sesame oil and gently massage your dry scalp with the mixture.
- Rinse it off after 30 minutes.
17. Castor Oil
Castor oil is a perfect answer to how to get rid of dandruff naturally? The antimicrobial properties of castor oil(13) get rid of dandruff and the humectant properties of the oil make the hair silky and healthy.
- Warm a few tablespoons of castor oil and smear it all over your scalp and hair.
- Massage gently till the oil gets absorbed into the epidermis.
- Do this before going to bed every night and rinse the oil off in the next morning.
18. Jojoba Oil
Jojoba oil is rich in vitamin E(14) that nourishes the scalp and gets rid of the whitish flakes.
- Take two tablespoons of jojoba oil and gently massage your scalp and all over your hair.
- Cover your head with a shower cap and leave it on for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse the oil off with a gentle shampoo.
- Do this daily for the best results.
19. Green Tea
Green tea contains catechins that make it richly antifungal in nature. The polyphenols in green tea promotes hair growth and nourishes the scalp and is a best natural care for dandruff.
- Take a couple of green tea bags and prepare a cup of strong green tea.
- Let the tea cool down.
- Apply the tea to your flaky scalp and keep it for about half an hour.
- Rinse off with water.
- Do this daily till the scalp heals.
20. Rosemary Oil
Rosemary oil is one of the effectual essential oils for dandruff. It improves blood circulation and fights dry flaky scalp quite effectively.
- Add 5 drops of rosemary(15) oil to two tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Mix the oils and apply the mixture to the flaky scalp with gentle rubbing and massaging.
- Wrap your oiled hair with a hot towel and wait for the towel to cool down.
- Unwrap the towel and rinse your hair thoroughly.
- Do this daily until the scalp disappears.
1. Why do I have a lot of dandruff?
The oil secreted by the scalp makes the skin cells of the scalp clump together and appear as ugly whitish flakes. The dandruff accumulation on your head is possibly due to irregular brushing, overuse of harsh shampoos, infrequent shampooing of hair that makes your hair greasy and dirty and leads to dandruff.
2. Why is Dandruff bad?
Not only is dandruff unsightly but it also causes hair fall and makes your scalp itchy. Get rid of dandruff as soon as you can with the wonderfully effective home remedies.
3. Is Dandruff good for hair growth?
Not only is dandruff terrible for hair growth but also it happens to be the sole reason for unhealthy scalp and hair fall.
4. Why do I have so much dandruff all of a sudden?
Winter is known for dryness of the air. This dryness causes the scalp to get dry and disintegrate into powdery white flakes. You might have contracted seborrheic dermatitis which might be causing the sudden outbreak of dandruff.
5. Can you get dandruff from stress?
Stress weakens the body’s natural defense against the fungus Malassezeia globosa. The fungus then infects your scalp and causes itchy scalp and dandruff.