Discovering the first strand of white hair can be a moment of delight for some, especially for those who want to sport the grey look. But for others, it can be a nightmare, especially if they are in the 20s.
While you may expect greying to occur in the late 40s or the 50s, getting a salt-and-pepper mop when you are just a 20-something can mean that you are a victim of premature greying. It can be frustrating when you’d want to know what causes white hair and how you could possibly avoid it.
Trichologists say that premature greying is an issue that is increasingly becoming as common as cold and cough.
What Causes White Hair
1. Vitamin B12 deficiency
Greying of hair(1) is caused when melanocyte cells at the hair base stop producing the pigment, which gives your hair its color. The cells require Vitamin B12 to continue developing the color-producing pigment.
In some instances, premature greying happens because of Vitamin B12 deficiency. Research says that with the onset of your 30s, the capability of cells to make the color-producing pigment may weaken, which results in greying.
2. Hydrogen Peroxide
Research also indicates that when our hair cells produce excess hydrogen peroxide (produced naturally by the cells), our hair can turn grey.
Scientists say that premature greying of hair has a strong association with heredity. Yes, blame it on your ancestors and your parents. If your parents had it in their early youth, more chances, you’d fall prey to premature greying too.
4. Lack of Nutrition
You cannot possibly get shiny hair and healthy skin if you lack nutrition. A vitamin and mineral deficient diet can lead to premature greying. This needs to be your concern area, as well.
There have been studies that link premature greying with smoking. Kill the habit to stall greying.
6. Other Medical Conditions
Premature greying has also been associated with medical conditions such as anaemia and thyroid disorders.
Home Remedies to prevent White Hair Formation
You can find several ingredients in your pantry that can come in handy. Here are some combos that can help in slowing down greying:
Here are a few tips to reverse greying of hair
1. Salt and Black Tea
- Take one tablespoon of iodized table salt and mix it in a cooled and strong black teacup.
- Massage on to the hair and scalp.
- Rest your hair for 60 minutes or so and then wash it.
2. Mustard Oil
Mustard seed oil, which is reputed for its unique flavour, helps prepare excellent food and is also brilliant for hair. Rich in selenium, antioxidants, and healthy fats, mustard oil nourishes the hair giving it strength and natural shine.
The oil also helps in hair darkening, hence camouflaging the signs of premature hair greying.
- Mildly heat organic mustard oil (2-3 tablespoon) and massage your scalp and hair thoroughly.
- To avoid stickiness, cover with a shower cap.
- Wash the next day leaving it before going to bed.
- Adding mustard oil to the diet is also a great idea.
[Also Read: Benefits of Mustard Oil]
3. Black Seed Oil
Kalonji or black seed, a common condiment found in Indian kitchens, has been quite effective in preventing premature hair greying. Black seed oil can also help in stopping hair thinning and hair fall.
- Warm-up some black seed oil and massage the scalp and hair thoroughly with it.
- Keep it before going to bed and wash the next with shampoo.
- Do this three times a week.
[Also Read: Benefits of Black Seed Oil]
4. Egg and henna hair pack
Apart from being a natural hair colorant, henna can also prevent premature greying. An egg and henna hair pack, fortified by curd, can curb premature greying while nourishing the hair from its roots.
- Break open an egg and add 2 tablespoons of henna powder to it.
- Add 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt and blend well.
- Apply this mixture to cover the hair roots and strands.
- Wash off after half an hour.
- [Also Read: DIY Henna Hair Mask]
5. Lemon and Onion Juice Hair Pack
Include onion into your hair care regimen as it’s one of the age-old remedies to curb premature greying.
- Mix lemon and onion juice and apply this on your hair and scalp.
- Leave it on for half an hour and wash off with a mild cleanser.
[Also Read: Onion Juice for Hair Growth]
6. Olive oil and Ribbed Gourd
The ribbed gourd is prevalently used to prevent premature greying.
- Dice the gourd in tiny pieces and dry them out before soaking them in olive oil for 3 to 4 days.
- Next, boil the combination until it turns dark black.
- Use this to massage your scalp at least two times a week.
7. Coconut Oil and Curry Leaves
There’s another effective home remedy.
The highly nourishing coconut oil provides the essential proteins needed for damaged hair. It can be an excellent conditioner and can help in regrowth of damaged hair. Now add to it curry leaves—the result: a fantastic concoction. Massage your scalp with the mixture, which is said to be a foolproof way of maintaining dark tresses.
- Take a few curry leaves and boil it in 1 cup of coconut oil for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Allow it to cool and massage your scalp with this mixture regularly.
[Also Read: Coconut Oil for Hair Growth]
If you do not have a regular hair care regimen, adopt one right now. It’s time you started paying more care to your wellness rather than reserving it for special occasions.
You can only see results when you take care of your skin and hair diligently and regularly. Here are some proven home remedies from our beauty repertoire to bring back life to your hair.