Moringa is a miracle tree. Or so it would appear, given the vast number of health benefits this plant is offering. Also known as the drumstick tree by the British, the Filipino name for this wondrous tree is Malunggay.
But the name itself derives from the Malayalam word Muringa. In India, this tree is found in the Himalayan foothills. Its leaves, fruits, flowers, pods, roots, as well as bark, are beneficial in one way or another.
The moringa tree grows in semi-arid, tropical and sub-tropical climates. Its biggest USP? Nearly every part of the tree is edible. Moringa leaves and seeds are used commonly; The roots can be used for extracting oil, while the flowers can be eaten and cooked.
The bark, sap, oil, leaves, flowers, seeds, and roots of the Moringa are used to make medicines in several countries. So, let’s see why this tree’s healing power has captivated the entire world.
Fast Facts About Moringa
- Its botanical name is Moringa Oleifera.
- It grows in arid areas which have sandy soil.
- Country of origin is India.
- The Moringa tree increases, up to 3 meters in 10 months.
- It is considered a superfood.
- It contains oily seeds and antioxidants like beta carotene.
Moringa Nutrition Facts
|Of Which: Saturates||1.7gm|
|Of Which: Sugars||7.9 gm|
|Vitamin A||1510 mg|
|Vitamin K||81 mg|
|Vitamin E||1190 mg|
|Vitamin C||23 mg|
|Vitamin B1||0.8 mg|
|Vitamin B2||1.1 mg|
|Vitamin B6||1 mg|
|Vitamin B12||2 mg|
How Does Moringa Powder Work For Hair
Moringa nourishes the hair due to the rich phytochemicals(1) in its pods, seeds, and leaves. It is 7x timed richer in vitamin C than oranges, and 10x times richer than carrots in Vitamin A.
It contains 17 times more calcium than milk, 15 times more potassium than bananas and 9 times more protein than yogurt! To give you an idea of its iron content, consider that it contains 25x times iron than spinach.
The leaves are rich in magnesium, zinc, and potassium. This plant has luxurious stores of vitamins and tannins, terpenoids, flavonoids, and saponins(2). It is also enriched with calcium and iron.
Boosting immunity serves to build hair health and ward off medical conditions associated with hair loss. It is also great as a hair moisturizer and facilitates hair growth.
[Also Read: Benefits of Moringa Seeds]
Benefits of Moringa Powder for Hair
For a creamy moisturizing cocktail that softens dry hair and detangles it, look no further than the all-powerful moringa powder!
Moringa leaf powder is beneficial for hair because it contains a rich set of B vitamins like thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pyridoxine, biotin, folic, and pantothenic acid.
It is also rich in plant protein, sulfur, and amino acids which boost keratin and optimize hair growth. Besides, Moringa is also an emollient with powerful lubricating capacities for your hair.
1. Moringa Powder Hair Mask Recipe
2 tablespoons of moringa powder, 5 tablespoons of tea tree conditioner, 3 tablespoons of deep conditioning treatment, 3 tablespoons of moringa oil, 1 tablespoon of wheat germ oil, and 5 drops of Vitamin E oil.
- Add the moringa powder, oil, vitamin E oil and wheat germ oil in a bowl.
- Whisk, cover, and leave overnight. This causes the oils to mix with the powder.
- The next day, add the tea tree conditioner and deep conditioning agent.
- Then apply the hair mask to hair in small sections, working through each section.
- Let the mask dry for 2 hours.
- Then wash your hair followed by a deep conditioning session.
- Repeat this twice a month for optimal results.
2. Moringa Avocado Hair Mask
1 tablespoon Moringa powder, one-fourth mashed avocado, 1 tablespoon raw honey and olive oil.
- Mash it all together till a paste is made.
- Apply this throughout your hair, focusing on the ends.
- Leave this on for 10-minute sand rinse clean.
3. Moringa and Banana Hair Mask
2 tablespoons of powdered Moringa, 2 tablespoons of honey, one banana, 2 teaspoons of tea tree oil.
- Mash the banana and add the remaining ingredients.
- Blend this into a fine paste and apply it to the hair.
- Let it dry for 20-30 minutes.
- Then wash the hair.
4. Moringa Yogurt and Mint Hair Mask
2 tablespoons powdered Moringa, 1 teaspoon mint and 4 tablespoons of yogurt.
- Stir the dry ingredients (Moringa powder and mint) into the yogurt.
- Once it forms a thick paste, apply the paste to hair strands.
- Then, let it remain for 30 minutes before washing for rejuvenated hair.
5. Moringa Lemon Hair Mask
2 tablespoons Moringa powder, 1 pinch lemon juice, and 3 tablespoons of sour yogurt.
- Mix all the ingredients and apply this onto the scalp.
- Coat the strands with the paste.
- Let it remain for 20 minutes or so till it dries.
- Then shampoo and wash your hair clean.
6. Moringa with Coconut Oil Hair Mask
2 tablespoons of Moringa powder, Equal amount of coconut oil.
- Mix the two ingredients and apply the resulting paste onto the hair strands.
- Coat each strand and work the paste into the hair, massaging the scalp.
- Let it remain overnight before rinsing and washing clean.
Thus, the super-powerful Moringa powder can boost your hair health, giving you those shining, long and thick tresses you always desired! With its potent mixture of ingredients, these 6 Moringa recipes are guaranteed to make your hair regain their luster and outshine all the others in any gathering. Be the toast of the town with Moringa hair mask recipes that boost, nourish, rejuvenate and revitalize your hair.