Have you been discarding the peels of orange? You have no idea about how incredible the orange peels are. Continue reading to learn about how orange peel benefits you.
What is an Orange Peel?
An orange peel is the skin of an orange, the juicy citrus fruit. This orange peel skin is rich in nutrients that are great for your health.
Orange Peel Nutrition Facts
Studies suggest that orange peels are the healthiest part of the fruit. These are rich in flavonoids and other phytonutrients. Besides, these have an abundant amount of Vitamin C. Orange peels are also a good source of Vitamins A, B, calcium, manganese, folate, and copper. These also provide a high amount of dietary fiber.
Health Benefits of Orange Peels
Orange peel benefits your health significantly owing to its rich nutritional profile. Below mentioned are some of the prime benefits of the orange peel.
1. Orange Peel Boosts Your Digestive Health
Orange peel is known to contain high amounts of dietary fiber which is good for your digestive health. The high amount of fiber in orange peel benefits in regulating your bowel movement and ensures proper digestion of essential nutrients. Thus, you can add orange peel extract to your diet to promote digestion and regularity.
2. Orange Peel Benefits in Weight Loss
Those who wish to lose weight can significantly benefit from orange peels. These are low in calories and abundant in dietary fiber which makes them an excellent food for weight loss. Further, these also supply you with an ample amount of Vitamin C which helps in burning fat. Thus, orange peel benefits you by ensuring proper utilization of calories and eliminating the excess of body fat which is essential for losing weight.
3. Orange Peel Strengthens Your Heart
Orange peel is rich in a flavonoid known as hesperidin which plays a crucial role in reducing the cholesterol level in the body and lowering blood pressure. The piths also contain strong anti-inflammatory properties that prevent inflammation in blood vessels, thus reducing the risk of heart diseases.
4. Orange Peel Benefits in Lowering Blood Sugar Levels
Orange peel benefits people who have diabetes by maintaining the level of blood sugar. It is because the peels are known to contain pectin, a fiber which plays a crucial role in regulating the blood sugar level. Studies have shown that treatment done with orange peel extract can prevent diabetic nephropathy.
5. Orange Peel Protects your Teeth
Orange peel benefits in keeping your smile intact. It has potent antibacterial properties that prevent the build-up of bacteria in your mouth and prevent dental cavities. Also, limonene present in the peels acts as a natural solvent and naturally whitens your teeth.
Other Orange Peel Uses
Besides benefitting your health, orange peels find a variety of uses. You can use them to make:
- A room Freshener
- Delicious candies
- Beauty Masks
Orange Peel Recipes
Here are some amazing orange peel recipes that you can easily make at home to enjoy the numerous orange peel benefits.
Fresh Orange Sorbet
This amazing sorbet is an excellent recipe to ward off the summer heat.
What will you need?
- Two cups of fresh orange juice
- One tablespoon of orange peel powder
- Two tablespoons of honey
- Half a cup of water
- Three-fourth cup of sugar (powdered)
- Mint sprig for garnishing
How to Prepare?
- Put a deep pan on the stove and add to it sugar and water
- When the sugar dissolves, add orange peel powder and cook on low flame for some time to get a thick syrup
- After that, remove the pan from the heat and let the syrup cool
- Once it cools, add honey and orange juice
- Whisk them to get a uniform mixture
- Pour the mixture in an air-tight container and freeze it overnight
- Serve it the next day with sprigs of mint
[ Read: Orange Juice Benefits ]
Orange Peel Tea
Orange peel tea is a refreshing and healthy drink that you should try.
What will you need?
- Eight ounces of water
- One teaspoon of dried orange peel
- A Cinnamon stick (optional)
- A teaspoon of honey
How to Prepare?
- Cut fresh orange peel into small pieces
- Dry them in a cool, dry place
- Next, boil water and add to it a teaspoon of orange peel
- Add the cinnamon stick if you want to
- Keep it on simmer for about ten minutes
- After that, strain the tea
- Let it cool
- Add honey and serve
Side-effects of Orange Peels
Following are the risks associated with orange peels:
- Increased risk of cardiovascular diseases
- Severe headaches
- Excessive weakness
- Blurred vision
- Ischemic colitis, a gastrointestinal condition resulting in abdominal cramps, diarrhea, vomiting, and fever.
By now, after learning about the potential orange peel benefits on your health, you would be convinced as to why you should not discard orange peels. Like the fruit, orange piths benefit you in incredible ways.
Packed with essential nutrients, it is indeed great for your health. You can dry orange peels at home and use them in various dishes, or instead, you can even use orange peel oil or extract to enjoy excellent health.
[ Read: Mango Skin Benefits ]
1. Is orange pith good for you?
Orange pith is high in fiber, contains high amounts of Vitamin C along with flavonoids. Hence, it is indeed great for your health.
2. How do you keep oranges fresh after peeling?
To keep the oranges fresh after peeling, store them in a refrigerator. You can cover them with a plastic wrap or store them in plastic bags or air-tight containers.
3. What is the best way of storing orange peel?
Dry the orange peels and after that store the dried orange peel in a cool and dark place. You can also wrap the orange peels in plastic and store them in your freezer.