Using honey for hair can have many benefits. Additionally, using honey for hair growth can be an effective remedy. It feeds the hair strands with vital minerals and vitamins that are required for their nourishment. There are also multiple honey benefits for hair health.
It is full of antioxidants that can protect and strengthen the hair. Using manuka honey for hair can be extremely beneficial. This honey is full of anti-inflammatory properties that can protect your scalp and reduce dandruff and dryness.
Using honey for hair loss treatment is also very useful. It can reduce hair breakage. It provides vital proteins to hair to survive damages. Another one of the uses of honey for hair is a hair detox. Honey helps to boost the beneficial effects of amino acids that are vital for your hair to grow.
Honey helps remove excess dirt and oil from your scalp. This is important to revitalize the scalp and save it from dermatitis. It can also protect your scalp from skin conditions so that your hair can grow properly. Honey can also heal wounds and ulcers (1).
Did you know that honey has been historically used to treat insomnia and anxiety?
How to Use Honey for Hair
You may use honey for a mask for hair. An adequate mask can be created using honey and coconut oil for hair growth. You may use the following recipe for this purpose.
- You need half a cup of coconut oil. It is best to choose extra-virgin coconut oil because it is full of antioxidants and nutrients that are vital for hair.
- You need half a cup of raw honey. You may use processed honey.
- Mix both the ingredients in a boil. It is preferable to mix until both the contents are evenly spread in the bowl.
- Once you have mixed the contents, use the mixture to massage your scalp. You may use your fingers to massage the scalp gently. This massage allows for the dough to penetrate through the scalp pores and hair cuticles.
- Let the mixture stay in for about twenty minutes.
- Rinse the mixture using cold water. Once you have rinsed thoroughly, apply a mild shampoo to ensure that the contents are removed.
- It is recommended to use the treatment at least twice a week for best results.
- You may add essential oils like lavender or bergamot for additional benefits and boosted treatment. They can also improve the scent of the mask.
- This remedy can be used to treat colored hair and improve the shine of the hair(2).
[Read: Home Remedies for Hair Growth]
You May Make a Hair Mask Using Honey and Aloe Vera Too
- For this remedy, you need one tablespoon of honey and two tablespoons of aloe vera gel.
- Mix the two ingredients and add two tablespoons of yogurt to the mixture. At the same time, you may add coconut oil or olive oil to the mixture.
- When you massage your head using this mask, try to massage in circular motions.
- Leave the message on your scalp for almost half an hour.
- Rinse using cold water and a mild shampoo.
- Try this remedy at least once a week for the best results.
[Read: Manuka Honey Benefits]
However, it must be noted that using too much honey can have adverse side effects. Honey is not recommended for children below the age of 12 months. It can cause them a possibly fatal disease.
Similarly, it is not recommended to use too much honey(3) if you are diabetic patients. Some forms of honey can lead to heart problems. The wrong choice of honey may also aggravate your skin condition. It is best to consult your doctor regarding the best usage of honey for your hair, before starting any regular treatment.
Honey can provide multiple benefits to your hair. From hair treatment to reversing hair loss, honey can do it all! However, honey can also be quite problematic if you have certain skin conditions. Using honey for your hair is an easy to use and effective remedy.
Moreover, most forms of honey are readily available and are quite affordable for most patients. As a result, honey can be an effective remedy for hair treatment.
[Read: Aloe Vera for Hair Loss]
1. What Does Honey Do to Your Hair?
Honey improves the health and strength of your hair. It is full of natural compounds that can help improve the quality of your hair. Honey also makes your hair retain more moisture content.
2. Is Honey Good for Hair Growth?
Honey can be used to make effective hair masks. By reducing the factors that can lead to reduced hair growth, honey can be an effective method to lengthen your hair.
3. Can Avocados Be Used with Honey for Hair Growth?
Avocado oil is rich in antioxidants and other natural compounds that can promote the growth of hair. They can also improve your scalp’s condition and make cleaner. Using honey and avocados for a hair mask can be an effective hair growth remedy.