All of us, at least once, must have had dandruff, be it men or women. We all know that this is quiet irritating and makes us self-conscious many a time.
Dandruff, a chronic skin condition is known as seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp, that ranges from a minor irritant to a severe rash of the entire scalp. This condition is caused when a skin fungus called Malassezia irritates the sebaceous glands of the scalp and triggers the immune response, which leads to a scaly rash.
Let’s take a look at why we get dandruff in the first place and how can coconut oil help you to get rid of it and let you enjoy a dandruff-free life
What is Dandruff
Dandruff is a harmless, chronic condition, in which the scalp becomes highly dry and at the same time greasy because of which there is a production of white flakes of dead skin, it is observed to appear in the hair or on the shoulders.
Though not harmful, dandruff can cause people to lose their confidence and self-esteem, because of which there are chances that they can goto depression. It is a significant case with the teenagers. In general, 40% of people have to face the problem of dandruff.
Types of Dandruff:
- Dry Skin-Related Dandruff
- Oily Scalp-Related Dandruff
- Fungal Dandruff
- Dandruff Caused By Product Buildup
- Dandruff Caused By Seborrheic Dermatitis
Symptoms of Dandruff
- Serious damage to hair health
- Multiple hair issues like split ends, dry hair.
- Multiple scalp problems like itchy, red scalp
- Decreased hair growth
Causes of Dandruff:
- Seborrheic dermatitis
- Not enough hair brushing
- Dry skin
- Shampooing and skin care products
- Skin conditions and Medical conditions
- Medicines that may be extremely potent.
Why use Coconut Oil for dandruff
People have been using Coconut oil for a long time in homes it has been used in our kitchens to cook food. Also, coconut oil has many good qualities, thus, helping us fight many ailments when a person suffers from a minor burn, everyone insists on using coconut oil as it helps in the healing process of the wound and at the same time relaxes the skin.
It is also good for hair as it prevents our hair from being damaged and at the same time moisturises it and gives us shiny and dazzling looking hair, making people awestruck around us.
Types of coconut oil
There are multiple types of coconut oils which are for hair problems:
Virgin coconut oil
Virgin coconut oil is natural coconut oil, and it is not likely that all natural dazzling looking virgin oil, organic certification of coconut oil do not guarantee that moisturizes is natural and unrefined.
Organic coconut oil
Organic coconut oil refers to those coconuts which are grow without pesticides for the preparation of coconut oil.
Fractionated coconut oil
Fractionated coconut oil comes from some of the specific parts of the coconut because of which there are chances that it might give a superior outcome.
Unrefined coconut oil
Unrefined coconut oil is also commonly known as raw coconut oil, there is no use of chemicals, and this oil comes from fresh, natural, coconut meat. This types of coconut oil has more health benefits as compared to refined coconut oil.
Extra virgin coconut oil
There is no such difference between virgin oil and extra pure oil. It is just that some of the countries do not believe the difference between these categories.
Cold pressed coconut oil.
This kind of coconut oil is made from fresh, and low temperature dried coconut flakes. It is said to have a stronger flavor, and you can also find small traces of soluble constituents extracted from dried coconut meat. At times cold pressed coconut oil is also considered raw as cold pressed coconut oil retains all the nutrients.
What is use of coconut oil for dandruff
Coconut has many good qualities, because of which our forefathers highly appreciate it. Coconut is said to be highly versatile. The reason why it is supposed to one of the most significant ingredients to kick out dandruff is, coconut oil is rich with emollient texture; also it also consists of many antifungal properties. The above qualities make it an excellent agent for deep conditioning and at the same time dandruff treatment.
Coconut oil is said to be very useful for hair as it contains lauric acid and caprylic acid along with vitamin E because of which coconut oil can easily penetrate your skin and to some extent help you out.
Apart from dandruff if you use this remedy for many days, it also becomes useful for killing lice that are present on the surface of our hair.
How to use coconut oil for dandruff
There are multiple ways to use coconut oil for dandruff, but one of the best methods which are said to have a significant impact is, to replace it with your regular shampoos and conditioners.
Apply coconut oil directly on the scalp and comb your hair properly so that you can enhance the efficiency of this oil. After applying this oil keep it until you think it has penetrated your skin, make sure that coconut oil has been observed in by your skin so that you can get the desired results.
Now merely wash off your hair and dry them off. If you are having a problem with directly applying this oil to the hair, you can mix coconut oil with warm water and then use it.
Other methods use outside agents for usage of coconut oil one such way is, mixing of essential oils with coconut oil and taking a spa. While applying this mixture, you should make sure that your skin is not sensitive as it can have adverse effects on your skin, try using a shower cap so that this mixture does not spoil your clothing.
Though coconut oil for dandruff is a natural remedy, there are still chances that you might think that there are no side effects associated to it but it is just the contrary though coconut oil is natural there are chances that it might cause side effects some of the common side effects are stated below:
- If you have sensitive skin, it’s best for you to stay away from coconut oil as itis possible that you might have to face rashes. Same is the case when a person is suffering from eczema, I this case also there are chances that a person might have rashes on his skin.
- If you have not used the product or you are not aware of your skin type you can apply small drops of this oil on your skin and wait for several hours as it takes time to determine if this oil is suitable for you or not. If this oil is not ideal for you, there are chances that you might have an itchy sensation with gruesome hives and rashes.
- Many cases of seborrheic dermatitis are reported. In this particular case dandruff is observed to be thick and oily, if you are facing this disease than you must avoid the usage of coconut oil as there is an enormous possibility, that, you might encounter more irritation in your scalp as compared to before and at the same time, it could make your seborrheic dermatitis even oilier.
Coconut oil recipes
- Deep condition with coconut oil and jojoba oil.
- Make a mixture of coconut oil and jojoba oil and make sure that both the oils are in equal proportion.
- Now massage this on your scalp, try to cover your entire scalp
- After this cover your head with a warm towel or you can also go for a shower cap
- Leave this mixture on your head for a minimum of 30 minutes; you can do other things while you have this mixture on your head.
- Wash off the mixture in half an hour with shampoo which has a superior cleansing property
- Do not use a conditioner if you already have an oily scalp.
- You also have an option of substitution in place of using jojoba oil you can use3-5 drops of rosemary essential oil with coconut and can perform the same steps the results will be somewhat similar.
- Coconut oil and lemon juice.
- You can mix two tablespoons of coconut oil with one teaspoon of lemon juice
- Now carefully apply this mixture on your scalp. You can also use this mixture on your hair as well.
- After applying this mixture, massage it for a couple of minutes so that your skin can absorb the mixture in the body, leave the mixture on your head for at least 30minutes.
- After your 30 minutes are over wash off the mixture with warm water, you should use a good shampoo to wash your hair so that your hair and scalp can get propernourishment
Other home remedies
Some other home remedies that offer sufficient relief from dandruff are: –
- Mix equal quantities of white vinegar with water and apply evenly on the scalp. Keep it on for up to 60 minutes and then wash off with a nourishing shampoo.
- Adda tablespoon of baking soda to your shampoo before washing your hair. Apply the mix evenly and let it stay for a couple of minutes and then wash off.
- Crush some fresh garlic and apply it on your scalp. Let it stay for 15 minutes and then wash it off with a conditioning shampoo.
Coconut oil for dandruff is an excellent product which people are using since centuries, we have built our trust in this product, and some of us don’t even know what good qualities this oil carries with itself and without even knowing we can easily trust it. When coconut oil fails, and it is beyond our reach to fix our dandruff problems we should ensure that we should not become health care experts instead visit a genuine healthcare expert so that he could be able to help us before it’s too late.