Is lavender oil good for skin? There are multiple benefits of using lavender oil for skin treatment. Using lavender essential oil for skin prevents acne. Acne occurs when the skin is too oily, lavender oil helps cure it.
Using lavender oil for oily skin is hydrating. At the same time, it can kill the excess bacteria in your skin pores. As a result, it reduces an acne outbreak. Lavender oil can provide an effective treatment for eczema and dry skin issues.
- Did you know that lavender essential oil can be an excellent pain killer for external wounds?
- Skin accounts for 15% of the total body weight.
Using lavender oil can provide moisture to arid areas, which reduces the itchiness. Lavender oil can also be considered anti-inflammatory. The oil can help reduce blotchy patches and redness of the skin.
Lavender oil(1) helps to detoxify your skin. The aromatherapy from the oil can nourish your skin and cleanse it. As a result, injured skin patches are healed, and the toxic level reduces.
One of the most crucial benefits lavender oil has for skin is concerned with aging — the phytochemicals in the lavender oil help to reduce free radicals. As a result, wrinkles, fine lines, and dark age spots are healed. It is even used as a perfume for constant aromatherapy.
How to Use Lavender Oil for Skin?
To soothe facial skin, you may prepare a facemask with oatmeal. One method of doing so is provided below.
- You need one cup of regular oatmeal. Apart from that, one-third cup of dried lavender and a quarter cup of cornmeal. You also need one-fourth teaspoon of honey. You may use two drops of lavender essential oil. Any other essential oil may be added to boost the effects of the mask.
- Mix the contents in a bowl, and mix well. You are advised to mix the contents until a thick paste is formed.
- Apply the mixture to your face. Massage your face to ensure that the dough penetrates through the skin pores.
- Leave the mixture on the face for about a minute.
- You may rinse off the mixture using lukewarm water. Avoid using cold water.
[Also Read: Oatmeal Mask for Acne]
Lavender Oil Bath
Apart from the facemask, a lavender oil bath can be taken to heal the skin. For a lavender oil bath, you may follow these steps.
- Prepare your regular bath by filling the bathtub with warm water.
- Add two tablespoons of lavender to the bath.
- You may also add two tablespoons of oatmeal in the muslin bag too.
- Once the content has dissolved in the bathwater, you may take a regular bath.
- It is better to stay in the bath for as long as possible to allow the skin to absorb the contents.
You May Prefer Preparing a Honey Mask for Added Benefits.
- You need to mix lavender essential oil drops with raw honey. Processed honey does not contain as many nutrients as raw honey.
- Stir the mixture until the contents are thoroughly combined. You may add other essential oils to boost the effects of the mix.
- Clean your face and make sure your face is slightly damp when you apply the mask.
- Leave the mask on for at least 15 minutes.
- Wash the mask off using warm water.
[Also Read: Honey for Face]
Other Ways of Using Lavender Oil for Skin
You may apply lavender oil to the skin for healing wounds.
- It is essential to dilute the oil. Direct application can cause severe itching and burning of the skin. To do so, you may add the oil to carrier oil. The recommended dilution for most surfaces is 2 percent. This means you add twelve drops of essential oil for an ounce of carrier oil.
- Other essential oils can also be used.
- After mixing the contents, apply the mixture to the damaged skin. Leave it on the surface for fifteen minutes before rinsing it off using warm water.
An added benefit of these lavender essential oil treatment is skin lightening. Using lavender oil for skin lightening is useful because it flushes out the dirt from the skin pores.
However, regular lavender oil treatment can cause problems for the skin. If applied directly or for extended periods, it can cause itching and inflammation of the skin(2).
At the same time, it is not recommended to use oil for infants. Other issues can include complications in certain medical conditions. A person may be allergic to the oil as well.
It is recommended that you must consult a trained medical practitioner before starting any regular skin treatment with lavender essential oil.
Lavender oil can provide effective skin treatment. It is full of natural compounds and essential components that help to improve the skin quality and reduce the bacteria on the skin.
At the same time, it is highly affordable and easily usable. Lavender oil for skin treatment is a recommended therapy to ensure effective treatment.
[Also Read: Benefits of Tea Tree Oil for Skin ]
1. Why Is Lavender Oil Good for Skin?
Lavender oil nourishes the skin, keeps it hydrated and can remove the bacteria buildup on the surface. As such, lavender oil is an effective treatment for the skin.
2. Is Lavender Oil Good for Itchy Skin?
Lavender oil can reduce dryness and inflammation of the skin, reducing itchiness.
3. Can I Use Lavender Oil with Other Essential Oils?
Using the essential oils with lavender oil can promote skin therapy. Essential oils can also improve the aroma of the treatment.