Is avocado oil good for hair? Yes, it is! There are multiple benefits of avocado oil for hair. It is rich in vitamin A. B1, B2, B5, C, D, E, and K. All these vitamins are crucial hair nutrients. Avocado oil also has potassium, lecithin, and chlorophyll.
These nutrients slow down the process of scalp aging. A healthy scalp can retain more hair. Similarly, avocado oil provides monounsaturated contents. These contents are beneficial to hair complexion.
Moreover, using avocado oil for hair growth causes fewer oil clogs and fewer acne issues compared to coconut oil. It has antimicrobial properties: antifungal, antibacterial, and antiviral.
Added to these properties is the antioxidants present in avocado oil that can fight free radicals. They also protect hair follicles.
- Did you know that avocado oil is pressed from the pulp of avocado pit instead of the seed?
- Did you know that on average, a person sheds between 50 to 150 strands of hair daily?
Avocado oil repairs the dry, flaky scalp. As a result, psoriasis is healed. The fatty acids present in avocado oil promote hair growth. The moisturization helps in retaining hair length.
Similarly, its oleic acid content helps to reduce inflammation of the scalp. Lutein and vitamin E are also inflammation lowering agents. The molecules of avocado oil are small enough to enter the cuticle of the hair. Consequently, it can protect the water inside the hair cortex. It also prevents hair damage due to solar heat.
Moreover, the oil increases blood flow to the head. This improved flow increases hair growth. Oral intake of avocado oil can also reduce inflammation in the scalp(1).
How to Use Avocado Oil for Hair
There are multiple ways avocado oil can be used for hair treatment. Hot oil treatments can be done using avocado oil. You may follow the following method.
- Avocado oil is resistant to high temperatures. Thus, heat the oil. It is recommended to use a double boiler for burning the fat.
- Monitor the temperature to make sure the oil does not get too hot.
- Use the warm oil for hair massage.
- Apply one teaspoon on the warm oil on your hands. Rub the palms together to spread the oil evenly. Make sure you massage for at least 10 minutes. Allow the oil to be absorbed by the scalp.
- The vitamin E in the oil can reduce free radicals in the hair. As a result, hair health is improved(2).
- As soon as you notice dryness on the hair, prepare the hair mask.
- You may mix avocado oil with your usual conditioner.
- Conditioner can be prepared at home using avocado as a carrier oil. Mix a few drops of essential oils like peppermint or lavender for boosted treatment.
- After applying, leave the conditioner on for 30 minutes. This allows for the absorption of the content.
- Rinse it out with warm water.
- You may add a banana to the mask for a semi-solid base. Furthermore, honey can be added to boost the efficiency of the massage. These extra ingredients shall provide a lump texture. As a result, it shall be more comfortable to apply and retain the mask.
Other Ways of Using Avocado Oil:
Another method used is known as LOC. For this purpose, use the following technique.
- Use this method after a shower. You may wash your hair thoroughly if you are not taking a shower. Using this method after shower allows hair to retain moisture.
- You may use water spray. After the spray, you can seal the water inside your hair using avocado oil.
- Use avocado oil before any other cream. Any other stuff used on the hair can block avocado oil’s penetrating abilities.
- A cream may be applied afterward.
You may also use avocado oil for general hair massage.
- Fill a cup with two teaspoons of avocado oil.
- You may add a variety of essential oils including peppermint, lavender and rosemary oils. You may add five to fifteen drops of the essential oil based on the required solution strength.
- Dip your fingertips in the mixture and use it to massage the scalp.
- You may do this massage once or twice a week. After the massage, wash your hair with warm water. It is recommended to massage for at least 20 minutes.
- Adjust the time of massage and composition of massage elements based on your requirements.
However, you must remember that avocado oil may not be beneficial for everyone. Certain medical conditions can get aggravated due to the use of avocado oil. Moreover, the exact application methods may differ from person to person. It is recommended to consult your physician before starting any regular treatment.
Avocado oil provides a readily available treatment for hair. Moreover, all the remedy recipes are pure and natural. This purity saves the consumer from the adverse effects of processed, artificial compounds.
Furthermore, the oil can be used in a variety of ways in hair treatment. Thus, avocado oil provides several benefits to people suffering from hair-related issues.
1. What Does Avocado Oil Do for Your Hair?
Avocado oil provides nourishment to the hair. It also improves scalp health.
2. Is Avocado Oil an Essential Oil?
No! Avocado oil can be used as a carrier oil for your massage therapies.
3. Can Avocado Oil Damage Hair?
Avocado oil improves hair health. There are minimal chances of any hair issues being caused by avocado oil.