No matter how hard you try, it’s tough to resist an itchy scalp or, which often renders your skin dry and with flakes. You probably are infected from a ringworm infection. Ringworm is a fungal infection that occurs on the scalp and skin. It manifests in the form of red, dry, and scaly patches on the scalp, and body.
Though scratching the affected area could seem like an instant solution to you, you can try using home remedies for ringworm to drive out the inflammation and the itchiness from the root. Soothe the scalp and the skin with these simple home remedies for ringworm.
Home Remedies for Ringworm
Below is the home treatment that you can try easily at home.
[Also Read: Naturopathic Treatments For Ringworms]
1. Tea Tree Oil
The anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties of tea tree essential oil work together to inhibit the fungal infection and cure the symptoms. The oil contains a host of medicinal compounds like terpinene-4-ol that can stop fungus and bacteria from growing.
Ringworm is a fungal infection on the surface of the skin that can be addressed by the topical application of diluted tea tree essential oil.
- Add a tablespoon of coconut oil to a tablespoon of tea tree oil and stir this to make a salve.
- Apply this oil to the affected areas of the skin and repeat twice or thrice every day.
- Wait for a few hours after the oil massage and then rinse your skin with water.
Using tea tree oil for ringworm helps the infection to heal in a week or two.
Dilute the oils in a 1:1 ratio for the right mixture. Alternatively, you can use any carrier oil with tea tree essential oil. Conduct a patch test to make sure that your skin is not sensitive to it.
2. Greek Yogurt
Greek yogurt is highly beneficial for the cure of fungal infection of the scalp and skin. It inhibits fungal action and soothes the irritation.
The anti-fungal and antimicrobial properties of Greek yogurt aids in the prevention and spread of infection and makes the skin soft and supple.
Apart from getting rid of the ringworm infection, Greek yogurt also helps in cleansing the skin, getting rid of dead cells and sebum buildup, unclogging the skin pores, and promoting skin glow.
You Can Use Plain and Unsweetened Greek Yogurt
- Blend Greek yogurt with honey and apply it gently to the skin to soothe the irritation and cure the infection.
- Apply the yogurt before sleeping and let it stay overnight. Wash the skin in the morning and reapply a fresh coat after a couple of hours to drive out the infection.
You can do this once daily and use 2-3 tablespoons of Greek yogurt for the cure.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
You can use apple cider vinegar for ringworm treatment at home. It is one of the most useful home treatment for ringworm. The anti-fungal properties of apple cider vinegar work wonders for the cure of ringworm. The acidic nature of apple cider vinegar works in destroying the microbial action and contributes to the maintenance of the pH balance of the skin.
Rinse your skin with diluted apple cider vinegar to get rid of the fungal infection. Apple cider vinegar also helps in the exfoliation of the skin. It eliminates dead cells and excess sebum and renders the skin healthy and well-nourished.
Here Are a Few Ways of Using Apple Cider Vinegar for the Cure of Ringworm
- Add a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a cup of water and stir gently to prepare a solution.
- Dip a cotton ball in this solution and dab your skin with the soaked cotton ball to get rid of the red and dry patches and treat the infection.
You can use a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water and use this three times a day. This makes for an excellent home remedy.
[Also Read: Apple Cider Vinegar: Remedy For All Your Problems]
4. Coconut Oil
You can massage the dry and red patches on the skin with coconut oil(2) for ringworm treatment at home. Coconut oil nourishes the skin and cures the irritation and itchiness in no time. It eliminates the fungal infection and makes the skin healthy and supple.
Coconut oil moisturizes the skin and fights against dryness and peeling of the skin. It promotes skin health and prevents the onset of an infection as well.
The antimicrobial properties of coconut oil prevent the bacterial and fungal attack and aids in the quicker cure of infection.
You Can Use Coconut Oil for Ringworm Cure in the Following Ways
- Blend coconut oil with castor oil and then add the oil mixture to half a cup of lukewarm water. Massage your skin with the mixture to cure the infection, or
- Massage your skin directly with coconut oil to drive out the itchiness, irritation, dryness, and other signs of ringworm infection of the skin.
You can apply two tablespoons of coconut oil, four to six times a day.
5. Oregano Oil
Oregano essential oil is one of the most effective home remedies for ringworm. It possesses potent anti-fungal properties that can inhibit the most severe types of ringworm infections.
Oregano oil contains carvacrol compound which can fight against microbial action quite efficiently.
You Can Use Oregano Oil in the Following Way
- Blend a few drops of essential oregano oil and a tablespoon of coconut oil. Apply the oil mixture directly on the area of the skin affected by the fungal infection. Leave it on the skin for approximately half an hour and then wash the skin with plain water.
You can use 3-4 drops of essential oregano oil thrice in a day for the cure of ringworm infection.
[Also Read: Essential Oils for Ringworm You Should Try]
You can use garlic for ringworm treatment at home. Garlic helps in the elimination of the red and scaly patches and soothes the itchiness and irritation.
Garlic is highly effective for the inhibition of different fungal strains that cause ringworm like Candida, Trichophyton, Torulopsis, and Cryptococcus.
You Can Use Garlic in the Following Way
- Crush a few cloves of raw garlic and then blend the crushed cloves with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Coat your skin with this garlic paste and keep it for about 30-40 minutes.
- Rinse it off with plain water.
You can use two-three cloves of raw and fresh garlic and do this twice or thrice a day for healing ringworm infection.
7. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera gel has been in use since ancient times for the treatment of fungal and bacterial infection.
Aloe vera gel possesses a host of medicinal properties that work to soothe the itchiness, discomfort, and inflammation of the skin. Thus, you can use Aloe Vera for ringworm because of its anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties work to cure the inflammation and fungal infection and promote the health and hydration of the skin as well.
You Can Use Aloe Vera in the Following Way
- Blend two tablespoons of freshly extracted Aloe Vera gel with a tablespoon of coconut oil to prepare a smooth mixture.
- Apply the mixture to the affected areas of the skin and spread it evenly in a thick coat. Rinse it off with water after about an hour.
Two tablespoons of Aloe Vera gel are enough for the cure of fungal infection. You can use an Aloe Vera extract from the Aloe vera leaf and use it on the skin after conducting a patch test. Do not use chemical Aloe vera gel. Follow this home remedy for a quick and effective cure of ringworm.
Ringworm is a type of fungal infection which manifests in the form of itchiness, infection, and irritation of the skin. The home remedies for ringworm make use of natural ingredients that have no harmful side effects on the skin and scalp.
Apart from curing the infection, the home remedies cleanse and exfoliate the skin and promote the health and nourishment of the skin as well.
1. Which Oils Are Most Effective in Treating Ringworm?
Some of the most effective oils for the treatment of ringworm include:
- Tea tree essential oil
- Coconut oil
- Oregano essential oil
- Lemongrass essential oil
- Myrrh essential oil
- Olive oil
- Castor oil
- Grapefruit seed oil, and more.
2. What Cures Ringworm Fast?
To heal ringworm fast, apply an antifungal topically. Most cases of ringworm can be treated at home.
- Allow it to breathe.
- Change wet underwear and socks.
- Wash your bedding daily.
- Use an antifungal soap and shampoo.