The scaly, ring-shaped rash on your skin is troublesome, especially when it appears on some visible part of your body like arm or face. But feeling embarrassed about it will not help, as this ringworm rash is not only terrible to look at but is highly contagious. So, before it spreads to the other parts of your body, treat it by employing some simple home treatments for how to get rid of ringworm. These directly work on the prime cause of your trouble and quicken up the healing process to give you clear, itch-free skin.
What is Ringworm?
Ringworm is a skin infection that causes an itchy and scaly patch on your skin. Though named as Ringworm, the condition isn’t caused by any worm; instead, fungus tinea is the reason behind it. The infection is common on the scalp and arms, but it can happen anywhere on your skin. Athlete’s Foot and jock itch are the two identified forms of ringworm.
What causes Ringworm?
A fungus known as tinea causes ringworm or dermatophytosis. It is highly contagious and can be contacted easily. When the fungus attaches to your skin, it starts multiplying causing the infection.
Ringworm Home Treatments
Ringworm is a common infection and can happen to anyone. However, its symptoms are unsightly and cause much discomfort. Also, being contagious the rashes can quickly spread to other parts of your body. Hence, it becomes essential to treat it as soon as possible. Here are some proven remedies for how to get rid of ringworm that give you quick results. Being natural these are the best treatments for your skin.
1.Foods that can help treat Ringworm Infection
· How to get rid of Ringworm with Garlic?
Garlic is one of the most effective ingredients to get rid of ringworm infection. It has potent properties that can treat the rash and soothe its symptoms.
How to use?
- Take one to two fresh garlic cloves
- Crush them
- Add two to three drops of olive oil or coconut oil to the crushed cloves to make a thick paste
- Apply the paste on the affected area
- Cover it with a sterile gauze or cotton pad
- Leave it for two hours and then wash off
- You can repeat this remedy two times a day until the rash disappears.
Benefits of garlic
Garlic is known to have strong antifungal properties which make it quite effective against ringworm fungus. Regular application of garlic kills the fungus and eventually heals the rash.
If you have sensitive skin, then do a skin patch test before using this garlic remedy. Apply some garlic juice on your arm. If it stings badly, causes burning sensation or swelling, then wash it off immediately.
· Foods to Eat
People with a weakened immune system are at an increased risk of developing infections like ringworm. Hence, it becomes essential to follow a healthy diet that boosts your immunity and effectively fight the infections. Certain foods are known to strengthen your immune system and aid in treating ringworm. You must add the following foods to your diet to address the issue.
- Foods rich in Vitamin A like fish liver, eggs, kale, carrots, etc.
- Foods rich in Vitamin E like sesame seeds, almonds, spinach, etc.
· Foods to Avoid
If you wish to cure ringworm fast, then avoid eating the following foods:
- Foods high in sugar
- Foods fermented using yeast
- Foods with amounts of refined carbohydrates
2. Herbal treatment for curing Ringworm
· How to treat Ringworm with Aloe Vera?
Aloe Vera is the magical plant which can treat numerous ailments including ringworm on the face and hands. It is the safest home remedy that you can even use for getting rid of ringworm in kids. Try it and quicken the healing of the rash.
How to use?
- Take an aloe vera leaf
- Cut it and squeeze out the fresh aloe vera gel
- Apply the gel on the rash
- You can repeat this remedy two to three times a day to ease the symptoms of the infection.
Benefits of Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is antiseptic and antifungal. Application of the gel disinfects the area and kill the fungus which causes the terrible symptoms. Further, it has a cooling effect on the inflamed and itchy skin. It soothes the area and reduces burning and other signs of the condition.
It is best to use the freshly extracted gel from the aloe vera plant. It has potent properties that quicken the healing process. Store-bought gels may not give you effective results like the nature aloe vera gel.
· How to clear Ringworm with Holy Basil?
Another herb which is touted as an excellent remedy for treating ringworm is Holy Basil. It works miraculously on the rash and eases the symptoms of the infection in no time. Try using Holy Basil on your ringworm rash and get the desired results fast.
How to use?
- Take a few fresh leaves of Holy Basil
- Crush them and extract the juice
- Apply this holy basil juice on the rash using a cotton ball
- Repeat this remedy at least two times a day for a week or two to get visible results.
Benefits of Holy Basil
Holy basil is known to treat various skin conditions including ringworm. Its potent antifungal properties make it highly effective in treating the infection caused by the fungus.
Thoroughly wash the leaves of Holy Basil before crushing them to get rid of germs and dirt.
3. Essential Oils for Ringworm Treatment
· How to use Tea Tree Oil for Ringworm treatment?
Essential Oils are potent plant extracts that come handy in treating various health troubles. Of these Tea Tree Oil is highly effective in curing the fungal infection. If you have developed ringworm on arm or leg, then quickly grab tea tree oil. It will relieve you off your troubles readily.
How to use?
- Pour two to three drops of tea tree oil on a cotton swab
- Apply it directly on the rash.
- Repeat this remedy several times a day for the fast disappearance of the rash.
Benefits of Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil being antifungal and antibacterial is an excellent remedy for how to get rid of ringworm. Application of the oil gently works to treat the fungal infection. Further its anti-inflammatory properties soothe the skin and ease the annoying symptoms like itching and swelling.
Before using this tea tree oil remedy, it is advised that you do a skin patch test to know your skin’s sensitivity to it. Dilute the essential oil with a carrier oil and apply it on your skin. Wait for at least 24 hours to see if there is some reaction. If there is no inflammation, rash or swelling, then you can proceed with the remedy.
· Other Essential Oil for treating Ringworm
Some other essential oils that can also be used to treat tinea corporis or ringworm infection on the skin are:
Lavender Essential Oil: The potent antifungal properties of Lavender Essential Oil effectively kill the fungus causing the fungal infection on the surface of the skin. Blend it with olive oil and apply directly on the ringworm on the neck or head to get rid of it.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil: Dilute Eucalyptus Essential Oil with water and apply it on the affected area. Use this remedy for several nights to get rid of ringworm on foot or other parts of your body. The germicidal effect of Eucalyptus Essential Oil acts on fungi and aids in clearing the infection. It is an effective remedy for those looking for how to get rid of ringworm.
Lemongrass Essential Oil: Lemongrass Essential Oil also possesses strong antifungal properties that help in treating a fungal infection like ringworm. Just dilute Lemongrass Essential Oil with a carrier oil and apply it on the affected area. Do this twice a day, and your rash will vanish in no time.
4. Home Remedies for Ringworm Treatment
· How to cure ringworm with apple cider vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar is quite effective in treating various skin conditions and infections including ringworm. That stubborn ringworm on leg causing constant itching can be easily treated with the miraculous apple cider vinegar. The thick, dark liquid is one of the best home remedies for clearing ringworm.
How to use?
- Soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar
- Put the soaked cotton ball on the affected area
- Leave it for around fifteen minutes
- To keep the cotton ball in place, you can use some tape
- Repeat this remedy a few times a day until the rash disappears.
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar being antifungal kills the ringworm fungus which causes the infection and aids in quick healing of the rash. Use it for a week, and you will see the rash disappear. Treat the patches of ringworm on hands and legs with this wondrous remedy.
Apple cider vinegar is highly acidic. Hence avoid using it on open cuts and wounds. Also, if you experience a burning sensation on the application of apple cider vinegar, then dilute it to reduce the sting. However, if it still stings badly, then wash off immediately with water.
· How to get rid of Ringworm with Turmeric?
Turmeric is a widely popular spice. It is not only great for enhancing the flavor of your food but is exceptionally good for your health. The health benefits of turmeric are numerous including treatment of ringworm. Those looking for how to kill the fungus causing ringworm must try using turmeric. It works wonders for your skin.
How to use?
- To a teaspoon of powdered turmeric, add some water to make a paste.
- Apply this thick turmeric paste directly on the rash
- Leave it on the rash for around fifteen minutes and then wash it off with water.
- Repeat the process two times a day to subside the symptoms of ringworm.
Benefits of Turmeric
Turmeric is a popular remedy for treating various skin ailments owing to its antiseptic properties. It effectively kills the tinea fungus and does not dry your skin like over the counter ointments. Studies show that turmeric has a strong fungicidal effect on almost 29 strains of dermatophytes which makes it an excellent remedy for the treatment of ringworm.
Turmeric can stain your clothes. Hence be careful when applying turmeric paste. You may wear dark colored clothes to avoid stains.
5. Natural Treatments for getting rid of Ringworm
· How to use Coconut Oil for ringworm treatment?
Ringworm on the scalp is most common but much annoying. The itchiness may cause you to scratch your scalp and develop wounds. Please note that ringworm on the scalp is also highly contagious. Hence, it is essential to get rid of it as soon as possible. Coconut oil is one of the best natural remedies for how to get rid of ringworm. Use this oil remedy to treat the ringworm in hair quickly and effectively.
How to use?
- Take some virgin coconut oil and warm it in a microwave or rub it in your hands to liquefy it
- Massage the oil gently on your scalp for some time
- Repeat the process at least three times a day.
Benefits of Coconut Oil
Coconut Oil has strong antimicrobial and antifungal properties that fight off the fungi causing the infection, thus effectively treats the rash. Further, being emollient, coconut oil soothes your skin, moisturizes it, thus easing the dryness, itchiness, and irritation caused due to the infection.
People with coconut oil allergy should avoid using this remedy. To know whether you are allergic to coconut oil or not, rub some virgin coconut oil on your arm. If it causes a rash or inflammation, then you might be allergic to the oil.
· How to get rid of ringworm with oregano oil?
Oregano oil is another excellent remedy for treating ringworm on the head and other areas of the skin. Use it for some time, and you will get the desired results in no time. Oregano Oil can significantly reduce the symptoms of ringworm.
How to use?
- Soak a cotton ball in Oregano Oil
- Rub the oil directly on the rash using the cotton ball
- Leave it on
- Repeat this oregano oil remedy at least three times a day to get visible results.
Benefits of Oregano Oil
Oregano oil is helpful in the treatment of ringworm on skin owing to its antifungal properties. Application of the oil on the infected area kills the fungus and heals the infection.
If you have sensitive skin and history of allergy, then do a skin patch test to know whether you are allergic to oregano oil or not.
How to Prevent Ringworm?
Ringworm is a widespread skin condition, and anyone can get it. However, there are some ways that you can employ to reduce your probability of contracting the infection. Go through the below-mentioned tips on how to prevent the ringworm infection and reduce your chances of getting it.
- Do not walk barefoot in public locker rooms and swimming pool areas.
- Do not share your personal belongings like towels, clothes, sports gear, hairbrushes, etc., with others.
- Keep your skin dry. After bathing pat yourself dry.
- Wear clean clothes.
- Maintain personal hygiene. Change your socks and innerwear every day.
- Wash your hands often to keep them clear of the fungus especially when using common utilities.
- Avoid touching infected animals.
Ringworm if left untreated can cause serious complications. Further, it is highly contagious and thus can spread easily. The bothersome ringworm symptoms can cause much discomfort along with embarrassment. But the good news is that you can effectively treat the infection by using some simple home remedies mentioned above. The cures for how to get rid of ringworm explained above effectively treat the fungal infection and give visible results. These contain natural ingredients hence are safe to be used on the skin. Along with them, it is essential that you follow a healthy diet that strengthens you from inside and hygienic lifestyle that prevents such infection from recurring.