Did you know how and when Geranium essential oil was introduced? It was first introduced to Europe in the 17th century, and at that time, its fresh leaves were taken into use in finger bowls. Traditionally, this oil was used as an insect repellent, used in alcoholic beverages, flavor food, and soft drinks.
Geranium Essential Oil is extracted from the leaves, stem, and flowers of the geranium plant. It is non-toxic and non-sensitizing. Geranium essential oil is one of the best oils to be used for skins that aid dermatitis, congested skin, and eczema.
How to use Geranium essential oil?
You can use Geranium essential oil as a homemade conditioner. Its recipe is very simple and awesome. Geranium hair conditioner is very helpful for restoring the natural pH of your hair and rehydrates your hair.
This homemade hair conditioner makes your hair luscious, soft, and healthy. Use 10 drops of Geranium essential oil after shampooing your hair and check out how it helps in conditioning your hair.
Uses of Geranium oil
- You can typically use geranium essential oil to treat the problems like Anxiety, Acne, Edema, Insomnia, Depression, Sore throat, and Diabetes
- You can use it to alleviate pain, emotional stability, healing wounds, and reduce inflammation.
- There are many more uses for geranium essential oil.
Benefits of Geranium essential oil
1. Helps in Reducing Wrinkles
Geranium oil is known for treating aging, dry skin, and wrinkles. It can minimize wrinkles by tightening facial skin and reduces the effects of aging. So, you can effectively use geranium oil for face.
2. Treats Infection
This oil has antifungal and antibacterial properties, which helps in protecting your body from infection. It also keeps your immune system healthier.
3. Helps in Increasing Urination
Increase in urination means very fewer toxins and bacteria in the body. Geranium oil is a diuretic, promotes urination. The process of urination removes toxic chemicals, sugar, heavy metals, sodium, excess bile, pollutants, and aids from the stomach.
4. Serves as a Natural Deodorant
It is circulatory oil that makes you smell sweet. It helps in eliminating bodily odors because it has antibacterial properties. You can use geranium oil as a natural deodorant.
[ Read: Gardenia Essential Oil Benefits ]
5. Treats Stress and Depression Symptoms
Inhaling geranium essential oil has shown to have a calming effect. Along with it, germanium oil helps in reducing anxiety and promotes relaxation.
6. Enhances Skin Glow
Geranium oil can boost up your skin health with its soothing anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. This oil is good for treating acne, skin diseases, and dermatitis. Geranium oil for acne treatment is also considered beneficial.
7. Acts a Muscle Helper
It helps with muscle cramps, pain, and muscle ache. It acts as a muscle helper.
8. Lowers Down Depression
It can also improve your mental functioning and also uplift your spirits. It also helps people suffering from anxiety(1), depression, and anger. Its fragrance relaxes and calms down your body and mind.
9. Acts as Nerve Painkiller
This essential oil can even fight against nerve pain when topically applied to your skin. It is perfect if you choose to use geranium oil for skin. Its use can significantly reduce the pain followed by shingles too.
[ Read: Powerful Natural Painkillers ]
10. Treats Menopause and Perimenopause
According to research, aromatherapy with geranium essential oil helps in stimulating the secretion of salivary estrogen. Along with it, the oil is beneficial for women who are experiencing reduced estrogen and other health-related symptoms caused by menopause and perimenopause(2).
How to Make Geranium Oil at Home
- Snip around 12 ounces of germanium leaves off.
- Fill olive or sesame oil in a glass jar covering the geranium leaves.
- Seal the jar and for a week, place it on a sunny windowsill.
- Strain oil through a cheesecloth into another glass jar. Repeat step 3.
- Continue these steps for five weeks and then pour the oil into a tight bottle.
Store it in a cool place.
Substitutes of Geranium Oil: What Oils can you Use Instead?
- Peppermint oil: For treating menopausal symptoms.
- Lavender oil: For treating anxiety, depression, and skin irritation.
- Chamomile oil: For sore muscles, swelling, and pain.
[ Read: Blue Tansy Essential Oil Benefits ]
Using Geranium Oil is considered safe. However, geranium oil even shows some side effects. Some people may even experience:
- Improper digestion
Geranium essential oil is safe to apply on the skin when you combine it with the carrier or base oil. It is also good to use as a complementary therapy for minor health problems. You would have learned by now that it is especially good for your hair and skin.
Vetiver Essential Oil Benefits
Galbanum Essential Oil Benefits
1. How do I use a geranium essential oil on my face?
You should not use it directly on your face. Dilute it by adding base oil to it and then apply it to your face.
2. What can I mix with geranium essential oil?
To make better use of geranium essential oil, you can mix it with a carrier or base oil to dilute it. Else, it can cause rashes on your skin.
3. Can I use geranium oil directly on the skin?
You should not use it directly on your skin because it can cause irritation and rashes. If you want to use it directly to your skin, then use it only on an affected spot on your face.