Neuropathy is the generic name for nerve problems and disorders that vary from nerve pain, fatigue, numbness to tingling sensations, sciatica, nervous fits and breakdowns, and more. Neuropathy can be painful, but then all that you need is a few drops of essential oils for neuropathy to put you out of the constant agony.
Top 10 Essential Oils for Neuropathy
Herbal remedies such as the administration of essential oils have been scientifically proven to be effectively and instantaneously relieving from the symptoms of neuropathy like pain, fatigue, and numbness.
Essential oils for neuropathy are incredibly beneficial for the natural treatment of nerve pain, sciatica, and numbness sensations. They leave no side-effects and are way better for health than chemical drugs and pain-killers.
[Also Read: Natural Remedial to Treat Neuropathy]
What Essential Oils Are Good for Neuropathy?
Enlisted below are ten wonderful essential oils for neuropathy treatment at home.
The mere use of herbal remedies such as essential oils is not enough. Accompany the proper treatment whether natural or chemical with drastic changes in lifestyle that include quitting of smoking, giving up on substance abuse, switching to healthy foods and habits, maintaining a balance in diet, exercising, and more. Essential oils are profoundly useful for the natural cure of neuropathy.
Topical use of essential oils can cure the painful symptoms of nervous disorders.
Elucidated below are ten researched and proven essential oils for neuropathy and the procedure of natural cure.
1. CBD Oil
CBD oil is one of the best home remedies for neuropathy pain(1). Clinical research has proven that CBD oil can suppress the neuropathy pain and cure the inflammation of nerves by targeting at the alpha-3 glycine receptor. The psychoactive compounds present in the CBD oil act miraculously to distract the victim from the pain of sciatica and other nerve problems.
How to Use CBD Oil ?
- You can take regular dosage of CBD oil in the form of capsules of 10-25 milligrams
- Proper usage can diminish the inflammation, limit the auto-immune response and prevent or alleviate the pain of neuropathy completely
2. Hemp Oil
Hemp oil is one of the best natural remedies for peripheral neuropathy. It is one of the most convenient and comprehensive cures of neuropathic pain and nervous disorders.
Hemp oil is rich in cannabidiol that is incredibly effective for the natural treatment of inflammation of the nerves and the alleviation of acute nerve pain(2).
The oil also contains a precious load of omega-3 fatty acids, amino acids, and vitamin B. It all combine to inhibit the development of peripheral neuropathy, enhance blood circulation and even control seizure fits, nervous episodes, depression, stress, and anxiety that is common in patients of neuropathy.
How to Use?
- Take Hemp oil in the right dosage through ingestion of oil capsules, vaporization of the essential oil
- You can also take it as an oral spray for the treatment of peripheral neuropathy
[Also Read: Neuropathy Home Remedies]
3. Evening Primrose Oil
The essential oil is rich in vitamin-B Complex and essential fatty acids like alpha lipoic acid and gamma-linolenic acid and biologically active compounds like acetyl-1-carnitine and Chromium picolinate that improve nerve functioning and alleviate diabetic neuropathy pain, burning sensations, and other symptoms(3).
If you are wondering on how to treat diabetic neuropathy, then you can try a few drops of evening primrose essential oil.
Medical research has proved that regular ingestion of evening primrose oil can not only prevent the deterioration of health in diabetic neuropathy but can even revere the state of health.
[Read: Natural Herbs for Neuropathy]
How to Use?
- You can take it in the form of capsules of 500-1500 milligrams on a regular basis after consulting a physician.
4. Magnesium oil
Magnesium oil is one of the best home remedies for chemo neuropathy. The oil is rich in magnesium that is not only incredibly effective for the natural cure of inflammation of the nerves and the alleviation of acute nerve pain but can also aid in nerve degeneration.
How to Use?
- If the neuropathy is affecting the skin of your hands, arms, legs, and feet, then the best way to treat the pain is to spray the magnesium oil directly onto the surface
- You can also soak the affected skin in warm magnesium oil baths
5. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is one of the best natural remedies of foot neuropathy that affects the soles and toes of feet(4). It is an anti-inflammatory agent, sedative, antioxidant, circulatory, analgesic and when combined with Epsom salts it makes for an amazingly effective home remedy of foot neuropathy. It is one of the most beneficial amongst the other essential oils for neuropathy.
How to Use?
- Massaging with coconut oil and Epsom salt alleviates the pain and cures the inflammation of nerves most effectively
6. Chamomile Oil
Chamomile essential oil is one of the best home remedies of ulnar neuropathy(5). The primary components of the lubricant include propyl angelate, butyl angelate, caryophyllene, y-terpinene, 1,8-cineole, myrcene, camphene, sabinene, a-pinene, and b-pinene.
It’s analgesic and anti-spasmodic properties are highly beneficial for the alleviation of inflammation and neuropathic pain. Chamomile essential oil can cure skin nerve problems like psoriasis, rashes, eczema, skin inflammation, and dermatitis.
How to Use?
- You can take it orally according to the recommended dosage in the form of capsules
- You can also dilute it with water or beverages
[Read: Chamomile Oil Benefits]
7. Geranium Oil
Geranium essential oil is rich in significant active compounds such as citronellol, geraniol, linalool, citronellyl formate, iso menthone, and nerol. These compounds are sedative and calming in nature.
Geranium oil is also known for its astringent, stimulating, and adaptogenic properties that can activate the microglial nerve cells and initiate the secretion of pro-inflammatory compounds that fight against neuropathic inflammation and cure neurodegenerative disorders(6).
How to Use?
- Mix the oil in a carrier oil like coconut oil, jojoba oil, or olive oil
- Apply the geranium oil mixture on the affected area with nerve pain
- Massage it gently and cover the place with a clean cloth for sometime
8. Tea Tree Oil
It is one of the best ways on how to treat peripheral neuropathy. Tea tree essential oil is richly vested with analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties that can cure the inflammation of neuropathic nerves and aid in the alleviation of pain.
How to Use?
- Tea tree oil can be either ingested orally in the form of capsules
- You can also mix it with carrier oils for massaging the painful and affected body parts for the suppression of the painful symptoms of neuropathy
9. Peppermint Oil
The constituents of peppermint essential oil that make it highly beneficial for the treatment of neuropathy include menthofuran, methyl esters, menthone, and menthol(7).
These constituents work in unison for the prevention of spasms, cure of irritable bowel movement, and treatment of digestive disorders. The essential oil is crisp and refreshing with a cooling effect that can soothe the pain and keep it at bay.
How to Use?
- Take it in the form of peppermint oil sprays and capsules of the recommended dosage as it can be stimulating as well
10. Bergamot Oil
The biochemical composition of Bergamot oil comprises of geraniol acetate, myrcene, beta-bisabolene, geraniol, nerol, neryl acetate, linalool, linalyl acetate, alpha-terpineol, limonene, alpha-pinene, and alpha-bergapten. These compounds are incredibly beneficial for the treatment of neuropathic pain and inflammation.
How to Use?
- You can take it in the form of capsules within the recommended dosage as directed by a physician
Some of the generic side effects and risks of ingestion and topical application of essential oils include
- Interference with the digestive system
- Bloating, flatulence, and food poisoning
- Skin allergies, inflammation, and dermatitis
- Worsening of neuropathy in extreme cases
If you perceive any of these side effects, then quit using the essential oils immediately.
It is advisable to take a patch test before you start using the essential oils for neuropathy. Always keep the oils in the dark and cold place.
Keep the lid of the oil bottles tightly closed every time you store the essential oils. Essential oils are susceptible and volatile therefore always consult your doctor before using any essential oil.
1. Is Exercise Beneficial for Neuropathy?
Exercise is highly beneficial for the treatment of neuropathic pain.
2. How Long Does Neuropathy Persist?
With the right treatment, neuropathy does not last longer than a few weeks.
Essential oils for neuropathy are incredibly useful for health but if the pain persists and becomes unbearable then feel free to consult a physician. Howsoever, essential oils are lovely as herbal remedies.