What is Neuropathy?
Neuropathy is the generic name for nerve problems and disorders that vary from nerve pain, fatigue, numbness to tingling sensations, sciatica, nervous fits and breakdowns, and more. Neuropathy can be painful, but then all that you need is a few drops of essential oils for neuropathy to put you out of the constant agony.
Types of Neuropathy:
There are two types of neuropathy depending on the nerves’ location in the body, i.e., the Central Nervous System or the Peripheral Nervous System.
- Peripheral Neuropathy: Peripheral Neuropathy occurs in the nerves of the hands, legs, and feet, etc. People with diabetes are generally the victims of peripheral neuropathy(1). This type can be dangerous enough to impair the system of sensations, affect movement, adversely affect the functioning of organs and glands and make the health deteriorate with time.
- Central Neuropathy: When the neuropathy affects the brain and the spinal cord, then it is called Central Neuropathy that is characterized by seizures, fits, convulsions, and more.
Symptoms of Neuropathy:
The most common symptoms of neuropathy include
- Numbness of the affected body parts and nerve pain
- Tingling sensations in the hands, legs, feet, etc.
- General weakness and paralyzed feelings in the affected parts of the body
- Throbbing pain in the lower spinal region and the forehead
- Extreme sensitivity to touch, sharp pain in the body
- Problems with movement and body coordination
- Heavy sweating, problems with bowel movement
- Digestion and bladder functioning and more
A Few General Causes of Neuropathy Include:
- Substance abuse and alcoholism
- Hereditary disorders of the nervous system
- Autoimmune diseases
- Physical injuries
- Nutritional deficiency diseases
Top 10 Essential Oils for Neuropathy:
Herbal remedies such as the administration of essential oils have been scientifically proven to be effectively and instantaneously relieving from the symptoms of neuropathy like pain, fatigue, and numbness. Essential oils for neuropathy are incredibly beneficial for the natural treatment of nerve pain, sciatica, and numbness sensations. They leave no side-effects and are way better for health than the chemical drugs and pain-killers.
What are the essential oils that are good for neuropathy?
Enlisted below are ten wonderful essential oils for neuropathy treatment at home.
- CBD oil
- Hemp oil
- Evening primrose essential oil
- Magnesium oil
- Coconut oil
- Chamomile essential oil
- Geranium essential oil
- Tea tree essential oil
- Peppermint essential oil
- Bergamot essential oil
10 Amazing Essential Oils for Neuropathy Treatment:
The mere use of herbal remedies such as essential oils is not enough. Accompany the proper treatment whether natural or chemical with drastic changes in lifestyle that include quitting of smoking, giving up on substance abuse, switching to healthy foods and habits, maintaining a balance in diet, exercising, and more. Essential oils are profoundly useful for the natural cure of neuropathy. Topical use of essential oils can cure the painful symptoms of nervous disorders.
Elucidated below are ten researched and proven essential oils for neuropathy and the procedure of natural cure.
1. Use of CBD oil for neuropathy
CBD oil is one of the best home remedies for neuropathy pain(2). Clinical research has proven that CBD oil can suppress the neuropathy pain and cure the inflammation of nerves by targeting at the alpha-3 glycine receptor. The psychoactive compounds present in CBD oil act miraculously to distract the victim from the pain of sciatica and other nerve problems.
How to use?
- You can take regular dosage of CBD oil in the form of capsules of 10-25 milligrams
- Proper usage can diminish the inflammation, limit the auto-immune response and prevent or alleviate the pain of neuropathy completely
2. How to use hemp oil for neuropathy?
Hemp oil is one of the best natural remedies for peripheral neuropathy. It is one of the most convenient and comprehensive cures of neuropathic pain and nervous disorders. Hemp oil is rich in cannabidiol that is incredibly effective for the natural treatment of inflammation of the nerves and the alleviation of acute nerve pain(3). The oil also contains a precious load of omega-3 fatty acids, amino acids, and vitamin B. It all combine to inhibit the development of peripheral neuropathy, enhance blood circulation and even control seizure fits, nervous episodes, depression, stress, and anxiety that is common in patients of neuropathy.
How to use?
- Take Hemp oil in the right dosage through ingestion of oil capsules, vaporization of the essential oil
- You can also take it as an oral spray for the treatment of peripheral neuropathy
Read More: Hemp Seed Oil Benefits
3. Effects of evening primrose oil for neuropathy
The essential oil is rich in vitamin-B Complex and essential fatty acids like alpha lipoic acid and gamma-linolenic acid and biologically active compounds like acetyl-1-carnitine and Chromium picolinate that improve nerve functioning and alleviate diabetic neuropathy pain, burning sensations, and other symptoms(4). If you are wondering on how to treat diabetic neuropathy, then you can try a few drops of evening primrose essential oil. Medical research has proved that regular ingestion of evening primrose oil can not only prevent the deterioration of health in diabetic neuropathy but can even revere the state of health.
How to use?
- You can take it in the form of capsules of 500-1500 milligrams on a regular basis after consulting a physician.
Read More: Natural Treatments For Diabetic Neuropathy
4. Magnesium oil for neuropathy treatment
Magnesium oil is one of the best home remedies for chemo neuropathy. The oil is rich in magnesium that is not only incredibly effective for the natural cure of inflammation of the nerves and the alleviation of acute nerve pain but can also aid in nerve degeneration.
How to use?
- If the neuropathy is affecting the skin of your hands, arms, legs, and feet, then the best way to treat the pain is to spray the magnesium oil directly onto the surface
- You can also soak the affected skin in warm magnesium oil baths
5. Usage of coconut oil for neuropathy
Coconut oil is one of the best natural remedies of foot neuropathy that affects the soles and toes of feet(5). Coconut oil is highly anti-inflammatory, sedative, antioxidant, circulatory, analgesic in nature and when combined with Epsom salts it makes for an amazingly effective home remedy of foot neuropathy. It is one of the most beneficial amongst the other essential oils for neuropathy.
How to use?
- Massaging with coconut oil and Epsom salt alleviates the pain and cures the inflammation of nerves most effectively
6. Use of chamomile essential oil for neuropathy
Chamomile essential oil is one of the best home remedies of ulnar neuropathy(6). The primary components of the lubricant include propyl angelate, butyl angelate, caryophyllene, y-terpinene, 1,8-cineole, myrcene, camphene, sabinene, a-pinene, and b-pinene. Its analgesic and anti-spasmodic properties are highly beneficial for the alleviation of inflammation and neuropathic pain. Chamomile essential oil can cure skin nerve problems like psoriasis, rashes, eczema, skin inflammation, and dermatitis.
How to use?
- You can take it orally according to recommended dosage in the form of capsules
- You can also dilute it with water or beverages
7. Treat neuropathy with geranium essential oil
Geranium essential oil is rich in significant active compounds such as citronellol, geraniol, linalool, citronellyl formate, isomenthone, and nerol. These compounds are sedative and calming in nature. Geranium oil is also known for its astringent, stimulating, and adaptogenic properties that can activate the microglial nerve cells and initiate the secretion of pro-inflammatory compounds that fight against neuropathic inflammation and cure neuro-degenerative disorders(7).
How to use?
- Mix the oil in a carrier oil like coconut oil, jojoba oil, or olive oil
- Apply the geranium oil mixture on the affected area with nerve pain
- Massage it gently and cover the place with a clean cloth for sometime
8. Use of tea tree essential oil for neuropathy
It is one of the best ways on how to treat peripheral neuropathy. Tea tree essential oil is richly vested with analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties that can cure the inflammation of neuropathic nerves and aid in the alleviation of pain.
How to use?
- Tea tree oil can be either ingested orally in the form of capsules
- You can also mix it with carrier oils for massaging the painful and affected body parts for the suppression of the painful symptoms of neuropathy
9. How to use peppermint essential oil for neuropathy?
The constituents of peppermint essential oil that make it highly beneficial for the treatment of neuropathy include menthofuran, methyl esters, menthone, and menthol(8). These constituents work in unison for the prevention of spasms, cure of irritable bowel movement, and treatment of digestive disorders. The essential oil is crisp and refreshing with a cooling effect that can soothe the pain and keep it at bay.
How to use?
- Take it in the form of peppermint oil sprays and capsules of the recommended dosage as it can be stimulating as well
10. Treat neuropathy with bergamot essential oil
The biochemical composition of Bergamot oil comprises of geraniol acetate, myrcene, beta-bisabolene, geraniol, nerol, neryl acetate, linalool, linalyl acetate, alpha-terpineol, limonene, alpha-pinene, and alpha-bergapten. These compounds are incredibly beneficial for the treatment of neuropathic pain and inflammation.
How to use?
- You can take it in the form of capsules within the recommended dosage as directed by a physician
Essential Oils for Neuropathy- Side Effects and Risks
Some of the generic side effects and risks of ingestion and topical application of essential oils include
- Interference with the digestive system
- Bloating, flatulence, and food poisoning
- Skin allergies, inflammation, and dermatitis
- Worsening of neuropathy in extreme cases
If you perceive any of these side effects, then quit using the essential oils immediately.
Precautions While Using Essential Oils for Neuropathy:
It is advisable to take a patch test before you start using the essential oils for neuropathy. Always keep the oils in the dark and cold place. Keep the lid of the oil bottles tightly closed every time you store the essential oils. Essential oils are susceptible and volatile therefore always consult your doctor before using any essential oil.
Other Home Remedies of Neuropathy
- Consume soy products like soy milk, tofu, soy chunks
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables
- Regular intake of mushrooms
- Smearing of cayenne pepper and water paste on the affected areas of the skin
- Use of freshly pressed tomato juice
- Consumption of oatmeal
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is exercise beneficial for neuropathy?
Exercise is highly beneficial for the treatment of neuropathic pain.
2. How long does neuropathy persist?
With the right treatment, neuropathy does not last longer than a few weeks.
Essential oils for neuropathy are incredibly useful for health but if the pain persists and becomes unbearable then feel free to consult a physician. Howsoever, essential oils are lovely as herbal remedies.