Diabetes, also referred to as diabetes mellitus is a combination of diseases in which a person encounters high blood sugar or high blood glucose. It occurs due to either inadequate insulin production or when the cells of the body do not react appropriately to the insulin that our body produces.
Sometimes a person encounters both the reasons. The reasons for confronting diabetes are usually related to the metabolism of a person.
Diabetes is a long-term condition. More than 380 million people in the world have diabetes. Diabetes increases the chance of a person to suffer from cardiovascular disease. But ease your stress as it can be kept well under control with the help of aromatherapy with the essential oils for diabetes.
Causes of Diabetes
- Destruction of insulin-producing cells
- Damage of pancreas
- Removal of pancreas
- Hormonal changes
- Certain medications
- Genetic mutations
- Less or no physical work
- Extra body fat
- Lifestyle factors
- Environmental factors
Symptoms of Diabetes
- Disproportionate thirst
- Frequent urination
- Intense hunger
- Unusual weight loss
- Weight gain
- Increased fatigue
- Blurred vision
- Yeast infections
- Low healing power of bruises and cuts
- Itchy skin
- Swollen/red gums
- Sexual dysfunction among men
- Frequent gum infection
- Numbness or tingling in the hands and feet
Types of Diabetes:
- Type 1 Diabetes: When the body does not produce insulin at all.
- Type 2 Diabetes: When the body produces less insulin, which is not enough for the body to function correctly.
- Gestational Diabetes: Gestational diabetes occurs in the body of pregnant ladies.
[ Read: Effective Ways to Treat Diabetes ]
Essential oils provide cures and treatments for a lot of problems by treating them naturally without medication. Essential oils are plant extracts which have a long history in acting as a fold medicine for almost all ailments. Essential oils are a way to improve the quality of life.
Essential oils help in reducing the health effects associated with diabetes on the body(1). They may treat the complications that come with the disease including weight gain and gastrointestinal issues.
What are the essential oils that are good for diabetes?
- CBD oil
- Coconut oil
- Black seed oil
- Hemp oil
- Olive oil
- Black pepper oil
- Lemon balm oil
- Cinnamon essential oil
- Helichrysum essential oil
- Lavender oil
Ways to Use Essential Oils
1. CBD Oil
CBD oil gets the body rid of chronic inflammation which is a significant cause of insulin resistance which causes diabetes. It also helps in cell growth, empowering immune system, improves the heart function and sugar metabolism which help in diabetes control. CBD is believed to reverse, suppress, and eventually perhaps cure the disease.
How to use?
- You can add a few drops of CBD oil in food rather than the traditional oils
2. Coconut Oil
If you have diabetes, then maintaining a healthy weight is important, mainly in the case of type 2 diabetes(2). Coconut oil is one of the best options available in the market amongst other essential oils for diabetes.
Using coconut oil rather than other oils while cooking helps in reducing body fat and maintaining a healthy weight. Coconut oil is rich in medium-chain fats which implies that coconut oil is a solid fat and it is difficult to convert solid fat into stored fat and, it is easier for our body to burn it.
How to use?
- You can replace your regular oil with coconut oil for cooking or baking every once in a while
3. Back Seed Oil
Black seed oil is rich in antioxidants which reduces the risk of oxidative stress which is a primary cause of diabetes. It reduces the blood sugar levels and brings them to safe levels. The oil has anti-inflammatory properties which reduce chronic inflammation and helps in retaining the insulin resistance.
It preserves pancreatic integrity with its antioxidants content. It has potential cardiovascular protector properties. It reduces systolic blood pressure and stimulates platelets aggregation also relieving type 1 diabetes.
How to use?
- Black seed oil capsules are available in the market, and you can add them to your routine
- Consume the oil directly if you can stand its taste
- If you unlike the flavor of the oil, you can consume it with honey
4. Hemp Oil
Hemp oil has anti-inflammatory properties which help in reducing the inflammation persistent for a long time. It reduces the risk of the disease at the pre-diabetes stage. It helps in maintaining the cell growth, sugar metabolism, heart function, and heart health. It has no psychoactive reaction and has no scope for abuse.
How to use?
- Mix a few drops of hemp oil with your regular cooking oil
- Stir the contents together
- Use this blend for cooking instead of regular oil
5. Olive Oil
Olive is an excellent alternative in the prevention and curing of diabetes. It helps in preventing insulin resistance, ensuring better blood sugar levels, raising HDL-cholesterol, lowering blood pressure, and lowering triglycerides.
A diet rich in olive oil is usually rich in carbohydrates and low in saturated fats. It has a high content of soluble fibers which come from fruits, pulses, vegetables, grains, and pulses. It enhances insulin sensitivity, controls blood sugar, and lowers low-density lipoproteins.
How to use?
- Substitute your regular cooking oil with olive oil
- You can cook vegetables, bake cookies and cakes, use the oil in the dough, and on tortillas as well
6. Black Pepper Oil
Black pepper oil provides an easy way to manage or even prevent diabetes type 2. It has a lot of oxidants stored in its compounds which help in reducing high blood pressure and blocks specific enzymes which may trigger the disease.
How to use?
- Instead of adding a lot of salt and regular cooking oil in your food, add black pepper and black pepper essential oil to your daily diet and feel the difference in your blood sugar levels
7. Lemon balm Oil
Lemon balm or Melissa officinalis essential oil balances the insulin sensitivity and controls the production of insulin in the body. It is one of the best essential oils for diabetes type 2. Consuming this oil in small amount helps to curb the disease. Control diabetes with Melissa essential oil or lemon balm essential oil and combat the effects it has on your health.
How to use?
- Add a few drops of lemon balm essential oil along with five drops of lavender essential oil to coconut or olive oil
- Add it as your cooking oil instead of other cooking oils
8. Cinnamon Oil
People with diabetes and prediabetes who start consuming cinnamon oil experience a reduction in blood pressure both systolic and diastolic(3). It has a sweetness booster property in its compounds, and with less sugar in the food, it can increase the taste of sweetness in the diet.
This property makes it great for people who are trying to cut their sugar intake. It reduces the blood sugar levels, and even the bodyweight eventually.
How to use?
- Consume the cinnamon oil directly
- You can have this oil easily as it has a pleasant taste and smell
- You can add it to your desserts as well and add less or no sugar to them
9. Lavender oil
Lavender oil is one of the most versatile essential oils for diabetes. Lavender oil helps in reducing high blood pressure and maintain the blood sugar levels in the body. It reduces oxidative stress in the body with its high content antioxidants in the body. It works well for diabetes insipidus as well.
How to use?
- You can add lavender oil in your aromatherapy sessions
- Add a few drops of lavender oil in coconut oil and use it as your cooking oil
10. Helichrysum Oil
Helichrysum oil helps the body in losing the extra fat and balancing the body weight. Being overweight is one of the major causes of encountering diabetes. Weight loss works as a critical factor in the reduction of blood sugar levels in the body. Helichrysum oil reduces the signs of inflammation in the body and improves the production of insulin as well.
How to use?
- Capsules of the oil are available in the market with ease, and you can consume it directly
- A relaxing massage with the helichrysum essential oil is of great benefit
Essential oils are highly photosensitive and can cause burns and damage your skin severely if you expose your skin in sunlight after application or during the massage. The oils can also prove to be allergic to a few people who ingest the oil or use it as cooking oil.
The direct application of the essential oils on the skin does not suit everybody and can exaggerate rashes or itching on the surface during massage or aromatherapy. Replacing the cooking oil entirely with an essential oil may cause allergy as well.
Before using any essential oil on your skin and body, consult your doctor as he might be able to guide you better. Before applying an essential oil to your skin surface, take a patch test on the back of your hand as the oil might cause allergy to your body. The lid of the bottles of the oil must remain close. Keep them away from sunlight as they are photo-sensitive as well.
Other Home Remedies for Diabetes
- Control your carb intake
- Exercise regularly
- Drink water and stay hydrated
- Increase your fiber intake
- Implement portion control
- Control stress levels
- Consume foods with low glycemic index
- Monitor your blood sugar levels
- Get enough quality sleep
- Eat foods rich in magnesium and chromium
- Consume apple cider vinegar
- The cinnamon extract helps
- Berberine is also beneficial
- Eat fenugreek seeds
- Lose some weight
- Take massage at home
- Consume cumin seeds
1. Lavender Oil Made My Skin Itchy During Aromatherapy and Massage. Why?
Lavender oil has a strong smell and may or may not suit your skin. Consult your doctor before applying the oil on the body during the massage.
2. Can Essential Oils Treat Diabetes Permanently?
Diabetes is a long-term disease and is difficult to treat entirely. Essential oils for diabetes can prevent the disease if you are at risk of encountering it or reduce the adverse effects that diabetes causes.
Essential oils for diabetes are like a boon amidst all its aromatic properties for people suffering from it. It helps to a greater extent to help curb your cravings and keep the sugar level of the body under control. Essential oils are a house of natural remedies and on a regular and calculated consumption treats diabetes effectively.