Damage to the nerves could be fatal. Neuropathy is a medical condition of nerve damage that lasts a lifetime. According to the Work Wellness and Disability Prevention Institute (WWDPI), diabetic neuropathy ranges up to 30%. And the cause of other 30-40% is idiopathic. Neuropathy, in some cases, occurs due to chemo-induction, alcoholism, immune-deficiency, and improper nutrition.
According to the American Physiological Society (APS), 50% of patients with diabetes suffer from nerve damage. Symptoms of neuropathy require medical attention. It is also true that no medicine can completely alleviate neuropathy.
Neuropathy also requires self-assistance and care. According to the American Diabetes Association, controlling blood sugar level helps prevent further nerve damage. So let’s try some pain-relieving home remedies for neuropathy that prevent and help treat neuropathy.
Below are the Effective Home Remedies for Neuropathy That Will Amaze You
Symptoms of neuropathy are the most uncomfortable ones. One of the best home remedies for neuropathy is by exercising. Studies have shown that physical therapy moderately stimulates muscle health in people suffering from peripheral neuropathy(1). Regularly practicing exercise helps control blood sugar levels and alleviate pain and weakness.
You Can Try
- Aerobic exercises such as brisk walk, cycling, swimming, or water exercise.
- Exercise programs for flexibility that include calf stretch, seated hamstring stretch, and plantar fascia stretch.
- Exercises for strength and training such as calf raises, chair squats, and seated dorsiflexion.
- Exercises for the balance that includes hip flexion, hip extension, and side leg raise.
Your therapist might also insist on braces or splints for mono-neuropathies.
Start exercising at least for an hour regularly. Hold the stretches for about 15-20 seconds. The severity of the symptoms differs from one person to another, and thus, it is ideal to consult your doctor or a physician to know which exercise program you should practice.
[Also Read: Acupuncture For Neuropathy Pain]
2. Vitamin B-12
Peripheral neuropathy mainly occurs due to the deficiency of vitamin B-12. Nerve health is mainly dependent on vitamins. Lack of vitamin B-12, if ignored, can lead to permanent damage in the nerve endings. Proper intake of vitamin B-12 supplements also helps reduce nerve pain and weakness. Vitamin B-12 is one of the best home remedies for nerve pain and nerve damage.
- You can consume vitamin B-12 through food products. Meat, poultry products, seafood, dairy products, fish, vegetables, and fortified cereals are rich in vitamin B-12.
- You can also consume vitamin B-12 through supplements. They are mostly available online. You follow the dosage instructions other details on the label of the product.
Usually, 200 milligrams (mg) of vitamin B-12 supplement intake is ideal for neuropathy. You can also add vitamin-rich food products in your regular diet to enhance nerve and muscle health. Do not exceed the dosage of supplements as it can worsen the symptoms.
Capsicum annuum, red pepper or frutescens are different forms of cayenne that are rich in medicinal products. Cayenne pepper is popularly used to treat neuropathy and is one of the simplest yet effective home treatment for neuropathy pain. It is a traditional medicine used in North America from nearly 90,000 years to aid digestive problems, toothaches, fever, hyperlipidemia, etc. Cayenne consists of pain-relieving properties that provide instant relief.
- You can chew raw cayenne or eat cooked cayenne.
- Also, you can consume cayenne pepper powder in food, milk, tea, juice, and other beverages.
- You can try Cayenne supplements such as capsules and creams that are readily available.
Cayenne is a herb that can be consumed directly. Herbs always come with side effects, and thus, ideally, you should consume a proper dosage under the supervision of the doctors. An excess of cayenne intake might trigger the symptoms or make it worse.
4. Evening Primrose Oil
Evening primrose oil(2) is rich in omega-6 fatty acids that help in treating weak bones, nerve damage in diabetic neuropathy; leg pain caused due to blocked blood vessels, and alcohol-induced tissue damage. Research shows that consuming evening primrose oil for 8-12 months treats diabetic neuropathy effectively.
- The interesting sources of evening primrose oil are food sources and seeds.
- It is also available in the form of capsules. You can consume 6-8 capsules regularly.
- You can also use evening primrose oil with essential oil or any carrier oil to gently massage over the areas that feel painful.
The standard dosage varies from 500 – 2000 milligrams daily. Consulting a doctor for the dosage would be ideal as they can prescribe you according to your symptoms. Evening primrose oil is among the best home remedies for neuropathy that effectively treats the symptoms when used consistently.
[Also Read: Benefits For Essential Oils for Neuropathy]
5. Fish Oil
Fish oil has anti-inflammatory properties that can repair nerve damage and stimulate muscle strength. Fish oil is one of the effective home remedies for diabetic neuropathy. Studies review that fish oil can effectively treat peripheral neuropathy. It protects neurons and helps alleviate discomfort, pain, and stimulate neuron growth.
- Most food sources are rich in fish oil, which makes it readily available for consumption. Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids include canola oil, chia seeds, walnuts, flax seeds, cod liver oil, sardines, salmon, soybeans, caviar, herring, oysters, and mackerel.
- Fish oil is also available in the form of supplements.
You can take 2500-5500 milligram (mg) daily as it is the standard dosage for fish oil supplement. However, daily consumption of fish oil through dietary meals is beneficial in many ways, including curing neuropathy symptoms. Do consult a doctor before taking supplements as they might have various side effects.
The leading cause of neuropathy could be diabetes. However, you can treat yourself regularly and make sure that it doesn’t get worse. One best way to do so is to control the blood sugar level through medications, but it since it accompanies a lot of side effects, it is ideal for controlling the symptoms through the intake of natural remedies in your daily dietary meals. It will also stimulate your immune system, which will further make you less prone to any other medical conditions. Get rid of pain and numbness with these natural and home remedies for neuropathy.
[Also Read: CBD Oil For Neuropathy (Nerve Damage)]
1. What are the other effective home remedies for neuropathy?
Some of the natural and effective home remedies include.
- Mango leaves (Vitamin C-rich)
- High – Energy breakfast
- Bitter lemon (bitter ground)
- Fenugreek seeds
- Indian gooseberry
- Black plum
- Aloe Vera
- Curry leaves
- Water Intake
- Chromium supplements
- A low-salt diet
2. Which exercises are effective in treating neuropathy?
You can reach out to a physiotherapist for better guidance on which exercises suit you best. But, here are some practical exercises that you can do in your home all by yourself to get rid of the symptoms of neuropathy.
- Aerobic exercise, flexibility exercise, balance exercise, and strength-building exercises are the best exercise for pain relief and comfort.
- You can also practice self-stretching and muscle stretching exercise.