What is fever?
Rise in body temperature that puts you in discomfort is what fever is usually referred to as. Essential oils for fever can help you get relief from such distress by bringing down the body temperature. But before you head out to treat your illness, it would be better to know that mild fever isn’t severe. Heat is your body’s defense mechanism to fight against infections. It should not raise your concern unless the body temperature reaches beyond 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit.
Types of Fever:
Following are the different types of fever:
- Continuous Fever: Continuous fever is when a person’s body temperature remains above the normal range for a day with no significant fluctuation of more than 1°C. It can occur due to Urinary Tract Infection, Pneumonia or Typhoid.
- Intermittent Fever: Fever that occurs for some time disappears, and then again returns are known as intermittent fever. The cause of such fever might be malaria or septicemia.
- Remittent Fever: Remittent fever occurs when a person is suffering from infective endocarditic. In this state, the body temperature of the person remains above average for over a day with the fluctuation of more than 1°C.
- Hyperpyrexia: It is a severe condition in which a person’s body temperature reaches as high as 106° F. It can occur due to throat storm, intracranial hemorrhage or other diseases.
- Hay fever: Hay fever happens due to an allergic reaction that may occur due to specific allergens like pollens, dust mites, perfume, etc.
- Scarlet Fever: Not common nowadays, Scarlet fever occurs in children up to the age of 15. It occurs due to a toxin released by bacteria that causes strep throat.
- Valley Fever: Valley fever is a type of illness caused by a fungus that grows in the ground.
Also Read: Home Remedies for Pollen Allergy
Symptoms of Fever:
Following are the typical symptoms of a fever:
- Feeling cold
- Loss of appetite
- Discomfort and pain
What causes fever?
Numerous factors can cause fever; some of them are as below:
- Bacterial or viral infections
- Overexposure to sun
- Certain Medications
- Amphetamine abuse
- Alcohol withdrawal
How to use Essential Oils for Fever?
Essential oils are plant extracts and are known to be quite potent. These are rich in bio-active components that can help in healing various conditions. They are quite useful in treating fever too as their cooling properties help bring down body temperature. Essential oils can get used in numerous ways to help ease the discomfort caused due to heat in the body and reduce its symptoms.
What are the Essential Oils that are suitable for fever?
If you are looking for natural remedies to treat fever, then here are mentioned some wondrous essential oils for fever that show remarkable results. Essential oils with their potent properties can alleviate all the fever symptoms and accelerate your body’s healing mechanism. Fight all the infections efficiently with these magic potions by your side.
1. Peppermint essential oil can help get rid of fever in adults
Peppermint oil is known for its cooling and antispasmodic properties and is one of the most effective essential oils for fever(1).
How to use?
- Take a few drops of peppermint oil and dilute them with almond or coconut oil
- Apply the diluted mixture on the skin to get relief from fever
- Alternatively, make a solution using one part coconut oil, one part water and around fifteen drops of peppermint oil
- Soak wash clothes in the solution and put them on legs, back, face and another body part to cool down body temperature
- You can also add the oil to your bath
2. Use Tea Tree oil to treat Fever
Blisters from fever also known as Cold sores can be effectively treated with tea tree oil. Its antimicrobial properties can effectively reduce the blister and relieve you from the trouble.
How to use?
- Pour two to three drops of the tea tree oil on a cotton ball
- Gently press the cotton ball on the blister
- Let it remain there for some time so that the skin absorbs all the oil
- Remove the cotton ball
- Repeat this process at least five times a day for the blister to heal
3. How to get rid of fever with Lemon Essential Oil?
The pleasant smelling Lemon Essential Oil is quite helpful in treating fever in adults. It boosts the circulatory system and increases blood flow. Besides it, the oil contains d-Limonene which is known to eliminate toxins from the body.
How to use?
- Pour one to two drops of Lemon Essential oil on temples and gently massage the area
- Make a blend using three to five drops of lemon oil and a tablespoon of any carrier oil
- Apply this blend on the bottoms of your feet and cover them up with socks (or)
- You can also massage the oil behind the ears and the back of the neck
4. Oregano oil is one of the best natural remedies to treat fever
With its antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties, Oregano oil makes it to the list of essential oils for temperature. It can help manage child fever efficiently.
How to use?
- Mix one to three drops of Oregano oil in juice or water
- Tell your kid to gulp it down
- If your child is of 10 years or more, then he should drink the mixture two to three times a day
- Children from 6 to 10 years can drink it once a day
- Take three to ten drops of the oil in a tablespoon of water
- Swish your mouth with the solution and then swallow it
- Repeat the process once again
- Do this few times every day to see valid results
5. How to cure fever with Coconut oil?
Coconut oil is an adequate remedy for those looking for how to get rid of fever blisters. Its antifungal and antiviral properties prevent secondary infection and accelerate the healing process. It also helps in reducing the visibility of the scar after the blister breaks.
How to use?
- Pour few drops of the coconut oil on a cotton swab
- Rub the swab gently on the blisters to reduce them
- Alternatively, you can also add the oil in your food or consume it directly
6. Lavender oil is one of the best essential oils for fever
Lavender essential oil is widely known for its soothing properties. Its anti-inflammatory properties also make it an excellent essential oils for fever amongst others.
How to use?
- Add few drops of Lavender Essential oil to your diffuser
- Its pleasant aroma and sedative properties provide you with deep sleep; thus, accelerating your body’s healing process
- You can also apply the oil directly on the bottoms of your feet, forehead or at the back of the neck to get instant relief
Read More: Lavender Oil Benefits
7. Clove Essential Oil for Fever
Clove Essential oil is an excellent choice for how to cure fever(2). Its antiseptic, analgesic and antiviral properties readily alleviate the symptoms of temperature and the discomfort caused due to it.
How to use?
- Add few drops of the Clove essential oil to a carrier oil
- Apply the mixture on your chest, bottoms of feet and spine
8. Frankincense Essential also provides relief from fever
Frankincense oil is also known as the King of Oils, and it comes in the list of essential oils for fever. Its antiseptic and disinfectant properties significantly aid in fighting fever symptoms and causes.
How to use?
- Mix Frankincense Essential Oil with a carrier oil
- Apply the blend on the bottoms of your feet and the spine
- It readily works to ease fever symptoms
9. Use Eucalyptus Essential oil to treat fever
Eucalyptus Essential Oil is known to fight viruses and cure fever symptoms owing to its anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties.
How to use?
- Add three drops of eucalyptus oil and two drops of Lavender oil in a bowl of cold water
- Soak a washed cloth in this solution
- Squeeze excess of water from the fabric and put it on your forehead
- Repeat it few times
- Do this at least three times daily for fever symptoms to subside
10. Holy Basil is one of the most effective essential oils for fever treatment
Holy Basil is known to work like aspirin and lower the body temperature(3). Its anti-inflammatory and antipyretic properties help in easing fever symptoms and discomfort.
How to use?
- Make a blend using five drops of holy basil oil and one teaspoon of Jojoba Oil
- Apply the combination on the bottoms of your feet and back of the neck
Read More: Holy Basil Benefits
Side-Effects of Essential oils for Fever:
Essential oils in their concentrated form are known to be quite potent and can cause harm. Use them in diluted form. Some side-effects of the oils are:
- Allergic Reaction
- Skin Rashes
Most oils are for topical use only. Ingesting them may cause serious trouble.
Recommended Read: Home Remedies for Nausea
Other Home Remedies for Fever:
Fever can also be treated using various home remedies. Some of them are as below:
The antibacterial and antiviral properties of Garlic can help fight infections that cause fever and boost your immunity. Make ginger tea by adding one and a half teaspoon of grated ginger in a cup of boiling water. You can add honey for better taste.
Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar draws heat from your body and cools it down. Further, it acts as an excellent source of minerals. Add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to one tablespoon of honey and drink this mixture at least three times a day to lessen fever symptoms.
Garlic is warm. Consuming it promotes sweating, eventually lowering your body temperature. Add a crushed clove of garlic to boiling water and keep it for ten minutes. After that, strain the mixture and drink it at least twice a day to see results.
[Read: How to Cure Ague]
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I use essential oils along with my medications?
If you are on any medication, then it would be wise to consult your doctor before using essential oils. These are quite potent and can interfere in your treatment.
2. How should I check my sensitivity to an essential oil?
Take one or two drops of the oil and massage it on your forearm. If there is no trouble, then you can use the oil for topical application. However, if you feel any irritation then immediately wash the area and avoid using that oil.
Essential oils for fever are excellent remedies for treating the fever symptoms. These can help you curb the issue easily at home. Their anti-inflammatory properties and soothing effect can lessen the trouble and aid the body in quick healing. However, if the fever does not subside even after three days and there is no drop in temperature, then you need to consult a doctor.