Yes, you read that right! You could cure skin cancer in the constraint of your house. Cancer is a dangerous and sickly disease that affects a lot of people.
The annual cost of treating skin cancers in the U.S. is estimated at $8.1 billion: about $4.8 billion for nonmelanoma skin cancers and $3.3 billion for melanoma.
All that money is being spent by patients who are suffering from skin cancer. A little awareness and widespread knowledge of home remedies would not only prevent you from burning a hole in your pocket, but it would also spare you from the disastrous side effects from conventional methods like radiation and chemotherapeutic drugs.
Skin Cancer, this word invokes a lot of taboo and is sure to evoke substantial amount of fear in any individual.
Fear not, this is where research, studies, and several other academic pursuits come into place. Several studies suggest that skin cancer is a treatable condition if it is identified at an early stage.
What Is Skin Cancer?
Cancer, in general, is defined as the abnormal multiplication of cells. The site of the multiplication establishes the kind of cancer it could be.
In this case, it would be in the first layer of the skin, i.e. the epidermal layer that abnormally multiplies and causes lesions and boils on the skin.
Types Of Skin Cancer:
- Basal Cell Carcinoma (BCC) – The most common form of skin cancer, seen on the upper layers of skin
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma (SCC) – Also referred to as the rat bite tumor, it also occurs on the upper layers of the skin.
- Melanoma – The most uncommon form of skin cancer(1) and it is considered as the most dangerous one.
As defined earlier, these are the general symptoms of cancer and are not a definitive way to categorize your cancer.
However, if you have any of these, it is time you visited your dermatologist.
- Solar Keratosis – These are small scaly red patches caused by too much sun exposure that occur on the head, neck, and hands but they can be found anywhere. It is an early sign of skin cancer.
- Farmer’s Lips (Actinic Cheilitis)- This is the discoloration and roughness of the lips, mostly seen in the lower lip accompanied with swelling. This is a precancerous symptom, an early indicator of skin cancer.
- Learn your ABCDE – Don’t be perplexed. It is an abbreviation that is coined to help people figure out if they have a lesion that could potentially be cancer.
A- Asymmetry of your lesion
B- Border of the lesion
C- Color of your lesion
D- Diameter of your lesion
E- Evolving status of your lesion
These are the symptoms that you have to bear in your mind if you ever feel like you are developing any one of them get it checked by your doctor.
[Also Read: Natural Treatments for Cancer]
Precautions To Be Taken Before Using Natural Home Remedies:
Yes, they are several precautions that need to taken by you before you use the below-suggested techniques. It is strictly advised that you first get your lesion/sore checked out by a dermatologist.
Firstly, you may not know what kind of lesion you are self-treating. Trying to identify this lesion by yourself and categorizing could be a gargantuan task!
They are several symptoms and signs of the lesion belonging to one of the above-stated types of cancer, however, skin cancer lesions can present unusual features which baffle dermatologists.
Using their tools like a magnifying glass and handheld imaging devices they are still sometimes not so sure.
The only medical method to identify skin cancer is to send the tissue from the site to a biopsy.
Secondly, you might waste your precious time figuring out what kind of skin cancer you’ve got, the disease might gain the upper hand here.
Delaying any treatment, i.e. conventional or traditional will only lead to you worsening the condition.
Of the three significant cancers, melanoma spreads on a rapid rate.
If you don’t have any time to identify what kind of cancer you’ve got. It is very strongly recommended that you visit your dermatologist when you develop these symptoms.
[Also Read: Essential Oils for Skin Cancer]
Natural Home Remedies For Skin Cancer
All the below mentioned home remedies for skin cancer need to be implemented strictly as per the guidelines specified.
These remedies are for only non-melanoma kind of cancers.
Eggplant Extract is a well-known ingredient used for natural treatment for skin cancer. Eggplant extract is very beneficial for the skin as it contains Solasodine rhamnosyl glycosides (BEC)
This is known to penetrate the cancerous cells and kill them while not attacking the healthy cells making it more effective than radiation and chemotherapy.
There are reports that extracts of eggplant are effective for treating skin cancer dating back nearly 200 years to 1825, according to natural health pioneer Dr. Jonathan Wright.
- A medium-sized egg pant
- 1-2 tablespoons of vinegar
- Cotton swabs
- Firstly the eggplant should be washed thoroughly and then minced into a fine paste using a blender
- To this thick slurry of paste, you need to two spoons of vinegar
- Store this in a closed jar and refrigerate this jar for three days
- After three days, using the cotton swab, you could apply this on your lesions.
- Additionally, you could also wrap a sterilized gauze around the applied area.
- Let it stay for 1-2 hours and then wash the area gently and dry it.
It is strongly advised to do this multiple times daily.
The most important root of all time in traditional medicine, Turmeric.
It plays a crucial role as a skin cancer home remedy. This is because it contains Curcumin(2), an active ingredient present in turmeric that is a powerful anti-oxidant and an anti bactericidal agent.
It stops the cancer cells from proliferating, and it is exceptionally effective against squamous cell carcinoma.
- 2 spoons of Turmeric
- Water (as per requirement)
- Take a bowl and to it add 2 spoons of turmeric and to this add water as per requirement to make a thick paste. Do make sure to maintain a thick slurry consistency.
- Apply this paste to the affected area and let it rest for 20-30 minutes
- Wash it off with water and then dry the area gently
- Alternatively, you could also add a spoon of turmeric in milk and consume this in the morning on an empty stomach.
To cure skin cancer with this home remedy, you need to apply this paste at least 3-4 times a day on the affected site.
[Also Read: Turmeric to Stop Cancer Cell Growth]
One amongst the precious and healthiest essential oils gifted to baby Jesus.
This oil has been used since ages, and its benefits have been recorded since time immemorial.
This oil is derived from an aromatic tree resin called frankincense.
A study published in the Biomed central in 2009 proved the efficiency of frankincense oil in inducing apoptosis (cell death) in tumor cells.
This oil is a proven home remedy to tackle skin cancer effectively.
- A few drops of Frankincense oil
- Firstly cleanse your fingers and make sure they are dry.
- On your now dry fingers apply a few drops of the oil and gently apply the mixture on the lesions.
- Let it rest and let it dry out naturally.
You must do this at least 2-3 times a day
[Also Read: Frankincense Oil Benefits]
Apple Cider Vinegar:
All kinds of vinegar including apple cider vinegar consist of acetic acid in it.
The acetic acid when it reaches the stomach, deprotonate and forms acetate ions thereby hinting on its anti-cancer properties.
The reason behind this is that acetate as a compound is known to halt proliferation and motility of cancer cells.
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- A glass of water
- Honey as required
- Firstly boil the water, to lukewarm temperature. Pour this into a glass and two this add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
- For taste, you could also add some honey and stir it well
- You should drink this every morning on an empty stomach.
- Additionally, you could also apply this on your lesion for quicker results.
Drink this concoction twice a day, on an empty stomach.
This tree bears the nut called the black walnut, and since many centuries the outer hull of the nut is used to make medicine.
It is used for several conditions ranging from parasitic infections, syphilis, skin cancer, and even leukemia. Black walnut has high concentrations of chemicals called tannins. These compounds reduce inflammation.
They also act as an analgesic helping in reducing the pain and they also dry up the mucus and pus present in any lesions on the skin.
- Black walnut tincture/powder This tincture is readily available in any herbal store
- Firstly dry and clean the site of infection with a cloth.
- Take a dry cotton ball, apply 2-3 drops of the tincture on it and very gently massage it on the lesion.
- Alternatively, you could also use a clean finger to apply and rub it gently on the lesion.
- If you have the powder, mix it with water and apply the thick paste on the wound.
Follow this protocol twice daily as this is one of the best skin cancer home remedies.
[Read: Apricot Seeds for Cancer]
This indigenous plant found in the southern part of America, mainly in regions like Maine and Texas. This plant is known to have many medicinal uses.
It is primarily used in the herbal world as the primary treatment for cancer.
It consists of PAP (pokeweed antiviral protein) that is a compound that causes cell death in the cancer cells in the body.
However it is strongly recommended that you don’t touch the plant, the tincture is readily available at many herbal stores. As this plant is highly dangerous, don’t use it directly.
- Pokeweed Tincture
- This is a straightforward procedure. Firstly you need to clean your lesions with a dry cloth.
- Now applying the 2-3 drops of the tincture on a cotton ball, you should gently massage the lesion.
You could do this 3-4 times in a day. This is strongly recommended as it is the best skin cancer home remedy.
This tree is colloquially called the maidenhair tree. It is mostly seen in China and has been used since many generations in traditional medicine.
Its leaf has been consumed to cure memory-related disorders. It is also used as a primary treatment for dementia, cancer, and other mental health disorders.
It is loaded with a lot of anti-oxidants and these travel through the bloodstream and help in improved circulation throughout to the body.
According to a study conducted by the Department of Pharmacology, Medical College of Yangzhou University in China states that Ginkgo Biloba leaf extract was used on cancerous cells in mice and humans and it effectively acted on the cells by inducing cell death.
Ginkgo Leaves/Tincture (If you don’t find the leaves, it is advised to get the tincture that is readily available at any herbal store)
- Dry the site of the lesion.
- Drop 2-3 drops of the tincture on a cotton ball and apply it on the lesion
- Let it dry
Apply this like 2-3 times a day for the best results.
A Mixture Of Coconut Oil and Baking Soda:
Raw organic coconut oil is a very enriched resource filled with anti-oxidant and antibacterial properties. It also helps in the regeneration of the cells, especially of skin.
Baking soda in this mixture is known to work to make the environment alkali, and it is a known fact that cancerous cells cannot thrive in such an environment.
[Also Read: Baking Soda for Cancer]
- Raw organic coconut oil
- Baking soda
- A Jar
- Mix equal parts of coconut oil and baking soda in a bowl and make sure it forms a malleable thick slurry.
- Take a Q-tip and apply this paste on the site of your infection and make sure you gently apply it and not rub it in.
- Let it stay for a while. You could also cover this site with a band-aid or a hair cap.
- You could make the mix of this paste and store it in your fridge, just a fair reminder to use this frozen paste only after heating it a little as the coconut oil freezes.
This is known to be the best skin cancer home remedy, apply this 2-3 times in a week, you can notice immediate changes just after the first application.
Before we jump into the procedure, it is very crucial to note that for this remedy for skin cancer that you would need the MINERAL ASCORBATE form of this vitamin as it is effective against skin cancer.
Vitamin C has potent anti-oxidant properties that are paramount to your skin, as it helps free radical damage caused by sun exposure and offers protection against photocarcinogenesis.
- 1 teaspoon of pure vitamin C crystals
- A glass of water
- Cotton swabs
- To a glass of water, add a teaspoon of vitamin-C crystals
- Also to be noted here is that the water should be completely saturated with the vitamin c if it does not initially do add some more.
- Using a cotton swab, dip it in the solution and then gently massage it over the lesion area.
- Cover the lesion with a band-aid or a damp cloth for three to four hours.
On the first application itself you will see that there is a scab formation, so do this 3-4 times a day until the lesion drys out.
These are several skin cancer home remedies that can help you battle against it effectively and emerge as a victorious survivor.
It is strongly advised that you do practice these remedies as well as consult with your doctor regularly for the best results. Skin cancer is one of the easily treatable cancers if identified early.
There are several things you need to do proactively while you use these remedies and actively avoid a few pitfalls. Here are a few listed down below.
Natural Cure for Skin Cancer – Additional Effective Ways
- Eat fruits and vegetables that are rich in antioxidants, vitamin C and selenium. Broccoli, carrot and citrus fruits are rich in beta-carotene, and vitamin C. Increase your intake of vitamin A, C, and E, beta-carotene, and selenium that helps in skin cancer cure.
- Fruits and vegetables that have anti-cancerous property should be consumed. Whole grains, sea vegetables, soybeans, onion, garlic, and grapes boost the immune system. These natural foods with anti-cancerous properties are considered as a natural cure for skin cancer.
- A diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids and low in omega- 6 fatty acids helps prevent melanoma. You can consume fish oil supplements and olive oil to prevent melanoma. Eating fish twice a week helps in preventing skin cancer especially melanoma.Omega-3 fatty acids are an effective cure for skin cancer.
- A report published in The Lancet Oncology says that processed meats, like hot dogs, ham, and sausage, cause cancer(3). Avoid eating red meat and processed foods as they can increase the risk of skin cancer.
- Avoid excess intake of saccharin, dairy products, and caffeine-containing drinks to prevent and reduce the risk of skin cancer.
- Avoid going in the sun during the mid-day as it can increase the risk of skin cancer. Plan outdoor activities in the evening as it will minimize the risk of skin cancer.
- Use sunscreen lotion to avoid getting affected with skin cancer. Sunscreen does not filter harmful UV rays but helps in overall protection against sun rays. Use a sunscreen lotion with an SPF of at least 15.
- Wear sunglasses that block the harmful UV rays. Polarized sunglasses block both UVA and UVB.