Modern science is yet to prove clearly if turmeric is really effective for cancer or not. But, we cannot disagree that turmeric is a really effective natural ingredient. Curcumin is the most important component of turmeric. Curcumin is used since ancient times in Asian medical history. People over the centuries used turmeric for treating several medical disorders in an effective manner.
Curcumin has a high antioxidant content that helps a person to get relief from swelling and inflammation. Laboratory tests and research on animals indicates that curcumin slows the spread of cancer. Curcumin helps to make chemotherapy more effective and also prevents healthy cells from radiation damage.
The use of turmeric for cancer is still in the early stages. We do not have any genuine and solid research evidence to support the fact. Let us have a look at some more information about the use of turmeric in this article.
Did You Know?
- The use of turmeric can be dated back to the Harappan civilization. Turmeric was first used probably during the 3000 BCE.
- Curcumin is very effective in treating cobra bites. Turmeric helps to push out the venom from the blood vessels and prevents it for spreading into the blood stream.
- During the Middle Ages, turmeric was known as the “Indian Saffron”. India was the biggest exporter of turmeric since a very long time in history.
How Does Turmeric Work in Prostate Cancer?
Almost 80% of men of the age of 80 years get diagnosed with prostate cancer(1). In this form of cancer, the carcinogenic malignant cells are formed around the prostate. It is a recognizable organ with the size of a walnut and helps to generate the seminal fluids. In South America, every 1 out of 5 men is often diagnosed with prostate cancer. Another study conducted in 2015, showed that Turmeric helps to fight cancer-associated fibroblasts. Fibroblasts are the connective tissues which make collagen and can contribute to prostate cancer.
[Also Read: Natural Method to prevent Prostate Cancer]
But, does turmeric helps to prevent or cure prostate cancer? Research has shown that the main component of turmeric curcumin is the real solution. It might be effective in treating prostate cancer. Curcumin is characterized with a warm and bitter flavor which contains anticancerous abilities. It helps to either stop or slow down the process of the cancerous cells. Not only prostate, but curcumin helps to prevent breast, colon, and various other cancers.
Benefits of Taking Turmeric in Cancer
Turmeric for cancer might be one of the most effective ways to treat carcinogenic cells. The excellent abilities of turmeric make sure that it benefits the human body in different ways. Let us have a look at the benefits of taking turmeric in order to prevent or cure cancer.
- Chemopreventive agent: Curcumin does not only kills or slow down carcinogenic cells but acts as a chemopreventive agent. The release of the compound Kappa B is the main element which helps to inflict chemopreventive abilities. It is also very effective in breast & colon cancer.
- Prevents metastasis: Metastasis is the phenomenon via which the cancer cells spread throughout the body. It is one of the primary causes of the spread of cancer so quickly. Research has shown that curcumin helps to slow down the process of metastasis. Some studies have shown curcumin has helped to prevent metastasis in breast, lung and ovarian cancer.
- Eliminates carcinogens: These are the cells which result in the spread of cancer in the body. Carcinogens can be present even in the food we eat. Curcumin in turmeric can very effectively eliminate the toxic effects of carcinogens. Thus, slowing cancer and helps a person to recover. Curcumin helps to trigger an anti-carcinogenic effect and protects the body from its harmful toxins.
- Anti-tumor properties: One of the best reasons why turmeric for cancer is effective is because of this. Curcumin has anti-tumor properties which help to suppress the effects of a tumor. It triggers a pathway that eliminates the cells that slow down the process of tumor enlargement. The excellent suppressive and anti-inflammatory abilities of curcumin are also very effective in treating a tumor.
So here are some of the most important benefits of using turmeric for cancer. All these benefits have not yet been related to ground-breaking evidence. But the benefits are also not false to a major extent.
Dosage of Turmeric for Cancer Patients
The dosage of turmeric for cancer varies from person to person. However, typically the dosage is anywhere between 500-2000 mg of turmeric every day. It should also be in a form with a much higher concentration than the naturally occurring foods. For an average Indian diet, the amount of turmeric is almost 2000-2500 mg every day. This is because Indians add turmeric is most preparations.
Here are some important frequently asked questions.
1. How Much Turmeric for Cancer?
For an adult, the typical dosage for treating cancer with turmeric is anywhere between 500-2000 mg each day.
2. How to Use Turmeric for Cancer Treatment?
Ans. Turmeric can be used in three different forms – supplement, a fluid extract and a herbal tincture.
3. How to Eat Turmeric for Cancer?
Ans. You can eat turmeric, if not want to consume the ingredient in any of the three ways we mentioned above. Just sprinkle turmeric powder over an egg salad or poach. You can also add some turmeric to your tea and drink it regularly.
4. How to Use Turmeric for Cancer Prevention?
You can use turmeric for cancer prevention in these following ways –
- a fluid extract
- an herbal tincture
scientists will need more time to check if turmeric for cancer is a true solution or a myth. But, turmeric is surely a versatile natural product which comes with a lot of different benefits. For now, curcumin in turmeric seems to be one of the most effective natural compounds for treating cancer.